What's new

Wonderfalls cancelled? (1 Viewer)

RickGr

Second Unit
Reports are the show has been pulled and will not return.

From Tim Minnear (or reported to be from)

Quote:
Well, not sure what to tell ya'll -- but we're cancelled. Effective at once. The cow creamer will be silent this Thursday and forever forward. Once we recover from the not-shock, Todd, Bryan and I will see if there's some venue in which to air the remaining episodes. As I have said from the start, the thirteen taken as a whole tell a story and go to a place, so a run of this "limited" series would not be unsatisfying elsewhere. It's a question as to whether the studio will want to invest in a DVD release of a failed series. Maybe the episodes will sit in a warehouse someplace with that sled and the arc of the covenant.

Thanks for all the support and enthusiasm.

Tim

StephenA

Screenwriter
Fox hardly ever gives a show a chance anymore. I haven't seen this show, but it's ridiculous how many shows they cancel way too prematurely, without giving them much of a chance.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I should have known when I stopped by the 20th Television suite at NATPE and nobody had ever heard of the show...

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I love this show. How can Fox cancel it only after 4 episodes? Shouldn't they give it more chance to gain an audience? They just moved it from Friday to Thursday for 1 week and they are cancelling it already? What will they have in place of Wonderfalls?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
in place of wonderfalls?....

probably a show about gay men trying to fake a woman into thinking they arent gay.
or any variety of unorigional reality show.

really though, isnt there a show coming on being hosted by the other origional host from the first season of american idol, having someting to do with "gaydar".

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I'm not watching TV anymore. I'm going to finish up ANGEL this season, and just tape Gilmore Girls next year...
I'll wait for DVDs of 24...

Do you realize how much free time I now have? I think it's because I used to just turn the TV on all the time... now I can read more, go out more, have a good time... maybe this is a good thing.

BTW, for those of you who think Wonderfalls wouldn't sell on DVD... it's exactly the show that WOULD. It's a critically acclaimed cult series... those are the ones that tend to make bigger numbers than the ratings hits.

If POPULAR can get a first season this summer (a show that eventually became the lowest rated show on the WB, while still churning out great episodes) from Disney, I'm sure FOX home video can see the potential in a COMPLETE SERIES release of WONDERFALLS, complete with mushy faced lion replica. :frowning:

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
This is why I don't bother watching any new Fox shows. They've pulled the rug out from under me too many times. I do tune into 24 and The O.C., but both shows were established hits on the network before I decided to get caught up. I saw the first few episodes of Arrested Development, but since it's on opposite Alias and Curb Your Enthusiasm, it's been tough keeping up. And Tru Calling I refused to watch since I figured it would get yanked anyway due to being in the timeslot of death(yet that's the one show they haven't cancelled yet, go figure).

I've got the first four episodes of Wonderfalls on my computer, and I'll definitely watch them at some point. But at least this way I don't feel that sense of betrayal by Fox that I've experienced way too many times.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
What a crock!!! This is really pathetic. I wonder what TV's going to look like next year. Certain nights are already a wasteland. Reading more sounds good though.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter

That's at least the distinct third timeslot (each on different days) I've heard referred to as "the timeslot of death". Although I won't argue that Fox botched Wonderfalls, when would they be allowed to show it? What's not considered a timeslot of death?

paul_goz

Agent
It seems the entertainment execs in hollywood loathe anything with any artistic value.

Wonderfalls was an original, entertaining, fresh approach to television programming, in contrast to the otherwise bland offerings on commercial television.

FOX should be ashamed of this descion.

If I hear of one more new REALITY series I think I am going to puke.

Don Black

Screenwriter
Never really liked the show. Gave it two episodes... I hope Tru Calling makes it though...

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I consider 2 timeslots to be hell for a new series, that might have a hard time catching on. Thursday night, against CSI (I think this is the highest rated show on TV right now...), Friday night, 8:00. At least at 7 you have a better chance of catching some people. Who's gonna turn into Wonderfalls after Playing It Straight?

I think pretty much any other time-slot would have maybe helped the show. Fox at least showed some faith in moving the show to Thursday, but cancelling it after just 4 episodes is ridiculous.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I hope they get interference from a gay weather balloon!. (They stole the whole "gaydar" thing from a joke from Futurama.)

Okay Wonderfalls was on for four episodes, and how many times did they move it around?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, cuz ABC is so much better about this than Fox. Just talk to the Karen Sisco fans about it.

I have to admit, Minear has rubbed me the wrong way about it for the past month or two. What sort of message does it send when the show's producer goes on about the show being in a "timeslot of death"? I'm not going to say the slots its got haven't been challenging, but I also have to admit that a a year and a half ago, you never heard Jerry Bruckheimer and Hank Steinberg posting on the internet about how screwed they were because Without A Trace was going to be going against ER. For that matter, you didn't hear Bruckheimer bitch about CSI being on Fridays at nine when it first appeared. This probably isn't a terribly big deal, but I can't see what good comes of telling your audience that your show is probably doomed.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Andy Richter Controls the Universe, Firefly, Greg the Bunny, The Tick, Wonderfalls, John Doe, Freakylinks, Harsh Realm, Oliver Beene, Undeclared, The Street, etc., etc.

Fox seems to thrive on introducting new shows, shuffling the things around, and then canceling them with nary an afterthought.

It just seems a poor business plan to me: spend all the time and effort and money to produce a show...and then CANCEL it after 4, 8, or 12 episodes? Not only does this annoy the viewers, but I expect it will cause other producers to steer clear of Fox, not unlike the way in which "high-end indie" producers avoid Miramax...just because they want to avoid the inevitable headaches that are always pending.

There are two kinds of successful shows: those that hit real quick, and those that take a little time to find an audience. Fox knows nothing about the second kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks