What's new

WKRP...Complete Series Coming Soon! (See Post #109) (1 Viewer)

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
For me, it doesn't need to be 100% or I'm not buying, but there are several songs that are deal breakers if not licensed. My essential list I posted earlier, and I'd add Jingle Dogs because it is a punch line.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Optimistically, 85% sounds pretty good, but that would still be a significantamount of music missing. If 15% of the songs are unable to be clearedall come from different episodes, it means at least 13 shows being impacted,which is about half a season's worth.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'll be buying regardless, but I hope the cuts are minimal. I tried season 1 as a "blind buy" and not only really liked it , but didn't notice the music cuts because, I didn't watch the show much back in the 70's. Is this actually available to buy from SF right now?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
You didn't notice the music cuts because the music was missing. ;) It's not just songs cut when there's editing, it's whole scenes gone or massacred to most fans it's pretty essential. I used to think the music's not the important aspect of the show and it's not, but then I realized it wasn't just a matter of replacing it with something else technically it wasn't possible to save scenes when songs had to go. Unless dubbing's employed, which I'd actually rather have now than missing stuff.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
HenryDuBrow said:
You didn't notice the music cuts because the music was missing. ;) It's not just songs cut when there's editing, it's whole scenes gone or massacred to most fans it's pretty essential. I used to think the music's not the important aspect of the show and it's not, but then I realized it wasn't just a matter of replacing it with something else technically it wasn't possible to save scenes when songs had to go. Unless dubbing's employed, which I'd actually rather have now than missing stuff.
I see your point. Let's hope Shout Factory does the right thing .

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
LouA said:
Is this actually available to buy from SF right now?
Yes, you can pre-order it directly from Shout for $109.99 and it will ship 5 weeks early (9/23/14 instead of the street date of 10/28/14).

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
HenryDuBrow said:
Here is a demonstration of this issue. In the episode "Jennifer's Home for Christmas", there is a lovely scene between Venus and Jennifer that I have never seen in the syndicated version (if someone else has, please let us know). I can only assume it is because Chuck Berry is singing "Merry Christmas, Baby" in the background and couldn't be licensed. The dialogue would have to be re-dubbed if they couldn't license the song - or just cut the scene, which is more likely (also includes a snippet of "White Christmas", just as Venus turns down the volume, which involves the Irving Berlin estate).

I have to say that I can live without Chuck Berry in this scene (although it is the perfect accompaniment), but if this scene is not present I will not buy the new DVD release. It is a great scene for Venus and Jennifer and it should be in an official release.

Check out this youtube quick before it gets yanked down LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1gabP0Lts&feature=youtu.be

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Conversely, here is an example of something that turned up in syndication that wasn't in the original broadcast. Not to do with music, it seems that the censors were busy at CBS in 1979!

You can discern the cut footage because the NickAtNite logo appears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn-mMNiMZOk&feature=youtu.be

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
bryan4999 said:
Conversely, here is an example of something that turned up in syndication that wasn't in the original broadcast. Not to do with music, it seems that the censors were busy at CBS in 1979!

You can discern the cut footage because the NickAtNite logo appears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn-mMNiMZOk&feature=youtu.be
Interesting. I think there is another line cut in that clip where someone says, "Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, right?" and Jennifer says, "No, THE Bethlehem." and then Johnny says, "Now that's a down-home Christmas."

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
KPmusmag said:
Interesting. I think there is another line cut in that clip where someone says, "Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, right?" and Jennifer says, "No, THE Bethlehem." and then Johnny says, "Now that's a down-home Christmas."
You're right!! I missed that - thank you for the head's up! Also a great reaction shot from Mr. Carlson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKMFJjU0GvA&feature=youtu.be

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
bryan4999 said:
Here is a demonstration of this issue. In the episode "Jennifer's Home for Christmas", there is a lovely scene between Venus and Jennifer that I have never seen in the syndicated version (if someone else has, please let us know). I can only assume it is because Chuck Berry is singing "Merry Christmas, Baby" in the background and couldn't be licensed. The dialogue would have to be re-dubbed if they couldn't license the song - or just cut the scene, which is more likely (also includes a snippet of "White Christmas", just as Venus turns down the volume, which involves the Irving Berlin estate).

I have to say that I can live without Chuck Berry in this scene (although it is the perfect accompaniment), but if this scene is not present I will not buy the new DVD release. It is a great scene for Venus and Jennifer and it should be in an official release.

Check out this youtube quick before it gets yanked down LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1gabP0Lts&feature=youtu.be
Seriously ? You're not going to buy this entire set if it's missing this one scene ? The music adds to the show, true, but it doesn't take away anything if it's NOT there. The show wasn't about music. I find it extremely irritating when people get all upset about this. Would you rather not have any sort of WKRP at all ? The replacement that they used in the scene with Les and his wig fit very well. Wow, there are a lot of media snobs when it comes to this, isn't there ?

I would LOVE this to have all the original music. Even if it had barely none or even none at all, it wouldn't keep me from buying this complete series set. I'm as hardcore of a WKRP fan as they come. But worrying about music in a show that wasn't about music is mystifying.....

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
LouA said:
I'll be buying regardless, but I hope the cuts are minimal. I tried season 1 as a "blind buy" and not only really liked it , but didn't notice the music cuts because, I didn't watch the show much back in the 70's. Is this actually available to buy from SF right now?
Coming from someone that grew up with the original versions of the episodes, even I couldn't tell the replacements...unless I was intentionally watching (listening ?) for them. For the most part, the replacement music was very well done.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Spottedfeather said:
Seriously ? You're not going to buy this entire set if it's missing this one scene ? The music adds to the show, true, but it doesn't take away anything if it's NOT there. The show wasn't about music. I find it extremely irritating when people get all upset about this. Would you rather not have any sort of WKRP at all ? The replacement that they used in the scene with Les and his wig fit very well. Wow, there are a lot of media snobs when it comes to this, isn't there ?

I would LOVE this to have all the original music. Even if it had barely none or even none at all, it wouldn't keep me from buying this complete series set. I'm as hardcore of a WKRP fan as they come. But worrying about music in a show that wasn't about music is mystifying.....
You didn't read what I said. I made it clear it is NOT about the music. I said it is about the scene.

Here again is what I said:
I never said I wouldn't buy it because of the missing music. Missing scene, yes.

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
bryan4999 said:
You didn't read what I said. I made it clear it is NOT about the music. I said it is about the scene.

Here again is what I said:
I never said I wouldn't buy it because of the missing music. Missing scene, yes.

I know exactly what you said. But it's still extremely idiotic to not buy a complete series of a show because it's missing one scene....which is what I said.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Spottedfeather, you're missing the bare essentials here. I thought just like you until I realized something. Sure, characters and the stories rule this show - but if they cut the music (which is all over at times) then out goes much of the dialog as well, you want that? I bet you don't want that, but it's the consequence when the show's videotaped (with only one audio track where music and dialog is on). Had it been filmed they could easily replace a track with lesser music, but it's not - it's live along with the talk - so it's either keeping it (via clearance) or cutting it and if cutting we lose scenes.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Spottedfeather said:

~sigh~ That's it. I'm outta here. I'm through trying to make the point that the music in this show IS important. It DOES take away from the show if it isn't there. I find it irritating to have to keep bringing it up time and time again that when you lose the music the scene either has to be trimmed, edited out all together or have replacement dialogue substituted. NO the replacement music for the Les and his wig scene does not fit well. Look at Les and his body movements. He's moving to Hot Blooded. The scene was filmed with that song. The movements and the mood of the scene are staged to fit that song. The replacement generic stuff throws it off completely. The humor is gone. It just doesn't work.

As for not having any WKRP at all, if it means having to a set butchered with missing scenes, poorly redubbed dialogue, and moodless generic music, then my answer is a firm YES. I would rather have nothing then something along those lines. There are people out there that have the series as it originally aired and I will get my WKRP fix that way.

No, the show wasn't about the music, but as has been stated over and over and over the music is just as integral to the series any of the onscreen characters. It adds just as much to the humor and feel of the series. I'm sorry that you just can't see that. I hope the new set meets your expectations and you enjoy if for many years to come.

I've said all I'm going to say on this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks