What's new

With WKRP, Wonder Years and Batman now a reality, what's the next holy grail? (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Jimmy,

I think you are failing to see that your points have all been refuted. Room 222 was tried and it failed. The condition of the original source material was not a factor in your original conditions. It was a quality show. It has relevance to today's audience. It reflected the human condition. It is fondly remembered by the viewing audience. It even has historical value. It had all of that going for it and it failed. Fox, as has been stated over and over and over again has little to no interest in releasing most of their older TV show catalog. So, they are not going to release it. Shout Factory released two seasons and they failed. So, Shout will not touch it again. The show is dead. It will sit in the vault and rot. Sorry, but that is a sad fact of life. Also, as has been stated to you over and over and over again, the audience for these older shows is shrinking by the day. In fifty years no one is going to care about any TV show from the last century with few exceptions (Star Trek, Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy and a few others).

In the end the quality of the show, its relevance, its reflection of the human condition, its historical value or how fondly it is remembered is not going to matter. No one is going to care.

Fine, you were right about The Wonder Years. I never said it wouldn't come out. I figured that it wouldn't come out with ALL of the original music intact. Well, it looks like that is correct. The show will not have 100% of the original music.

And just for the record, Room 222 is no where near the same category as The Wonder Years.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi brian,

the condition or quality of the release is an automatic assumption

if the film is gone, it aint comin out

if it is a shoddy release, it aint gonna sell

i am not seeing that my points have been refuted

you guys made all these same points about wonder years, and kept telling me my points had been refuted

what you are failing to see is that your points seem to be true, until they all turn false

none of what you are saying keeps the show from coming out

and i am telling you that IT WILL COME OUT

i am also telling you that these shows do matter, or could matter, a 100 years from now

just look at all the old movies that many people cant do without

i think it is totally erroneous to think that because something is old, it wont have value 100 years from now

when they release 222, it will continue to sell 100 years hence !!!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi brian,

i hadnt seen 222 since original airing

so i went to youtube, typed in room 222, and watched the first show that was complete

it happened to be the very first episode, "richie's story"

gosh, it was a wonderful show, ever bit in the same class as wonder years, in terms of quality.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Honestly, I get somewhat sick of having this discussion. It gets to point of the ridiculous after awhile. I'll simplify this one last time.

Wonder Years - a show that has always been in great demand from fans. There is already a built in buying public for thisVery popular in it's time, it had wide appeal to many different demographics. Kids like it because of the kids actors and their identification to all the heartaches and triumphs of Jr. and Sr. High. Adults were drawn to it because of the the fond rememberences of their younger days made further real by the inclusion of very well chosen period music. It is alos a far more recent show and definitely much better remembered than shows like 222. This is the also the type of series that many consumers would blind buy due to the name recognition and advertsing alone.

Room 222 - This is a series I really like but demand for this show is miniscule compared to the above. It is very well written and well acted but dated and not very well remembered outside the collectors market. Plus there is very little name recognition with the stars anymore, unless of course you are a current member of the Karen Valentine fan club (LOL).

The bottom line is this that any comparison between the merits of releasing these two series is so far out in left field it is socompletely ridiculous, I almost feel guilty even responding to this again. And that would go for other little remembered series as well. Could you imagine a distributor banking on bllind buys of this show to recoup sales? Adventures in Paradise and the like won't EVER come out. There is not the audience and market to offset the licensing fees. Could we stop this inow???

PS - I thought about doing a Batman/222 comparison for this post, but I could not look at myself in the mirror Iif I felt the need to explain to collectors why there is more of an audience for Batman than 222.

No offense Jimmy, I wish I was wrong on this one. Your optiism is admirable but c'mon man.....

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Apologies for my atrocious spelling on the last post by the way. I get frustrated having this same discussion over and over......... ...and over

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
jimmyjet said:
when they release 222, it will continue to sell 100 years hence !!!
This is the best laugh I've had all day.

Sorry dude, Room 222 is dead and buried. In a hundred yeas from now no one is even going to know that this show ever existed. It will be nothing more than a footnote in some obscure TV history book. LOL!

Sorry, I love the show but seriously....

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
You seem like a good guy Jimmy. I admire you sticking to your guns. Of course I still think you are dead wrong but I wish you weren't. Cheers man.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
LOL.

after viewing the first episode, i am reminded of just how good it was

it is a shoo-in for a full series release

you just heard it from ed !!!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
222 is a HIGH quality showthey are not gonna just let this sink into oblivionjust how many high quality shows do you think we have ?when it does come out, please admit that your logic is flawedcuz i will no longer even consider discussing this issue any moremy point will be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt within any framework of rational thinkinguntil such time, you can tell me how much i am wrongbut your days are limited, so take advantage of it while you can

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
cute wonder years storyimagine winnie with a very light hispanic or italian lookthat is who i saw at the restaurant todayi kept expecting kevin to drop by !!after about a half hour, my curiosity finally got the best of mei go up to her and say "miss, have you ever seen the tv show the wonder years ?"she immediately starts to laugh and says "i get told that a lot"

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
My order for McCloud seasons 6 and 7 arrived today. From Australia! In four days! I can't get over it.

I ordered season five of Medical Center one day later and it still hasn't arrived. That's just....sad. Oh well. I now have McCloud completed. I reached my goal of having the complete run of the three original NBC Mystery Movie shows.

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
The series that needs to get its a$$ to DVD are:Clueless: The Series (music clearance issues)Two of a KindBreaker HighIn The HouseNew York Undercover (music clearance issues)EveBoston Publicrest of Baywatch (seasons 4-10) and spinoffsrest of Mo'Eisharest of Sister Sisterrest of Living Singlerest of Sweet Valley Highfinal season of Once & AgainFree Willy: The Animated Seriesrest of Dharma & GregRozHerman's HeadSinbad ShowSmart GuyBoogie's Diner Martial Law

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
There's only one show that should be at the top of the list: B.J. and the Bear / The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. :p

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
jimmyjet said:
222 is a HIGH quality showthey are not gonna just let this sink into oblivionjust how many high quality shows do you think we have ?when it does come out, please admit that your logic is flawedcuz i will no longer even consider discussing this issue any moremy point will be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt within any framework of rational thinkinguntil such time, you can tell me how much i am wrongbut your days are limited, so take advantage of it while you can
Whatever. Again, your optimism, while admiral, has no basis in reality. You refuse to take any evidence to the contrary into account. I think you are dead wrong and it will be proven in time. Peace.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Brian Himes said:
Again, your optimism, while admiral, has no basis in reality.
Me, I'm all for Admiral optimism. :biggrin:

AdmiralOptimism_zpsab7dcc5a.jpg

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi guys,

this is a comment in general, when we are discussing a situation.

some things are facts, and cant be interpreted. for example, the circumference of a circle is pi times the diameter.

but much information that we get is not like that.

in this specific situation, i have carefully and exactly specified my reasoning.

and so have others. however, it is based upon interpretation.

for example, we can see different things our govt does. and if 10 of us comment on a particular action, we will probably get 10 different conclusions as to why the govt did the particular action, and what it represents as far as predicting future actions.

our conclusions will be greatly affected by assumptions that we make, as well.

i have made some assumptions that i tend to think are much more relevant than others here. no one can know positively how correct those assumptions are.

1) i think the studios highly value their original filming. i say this for various reasons. first, it is a limited commodity. the shows that have been created are just that. they cant add any more to this. they of course can film a new show. but compare the cost of transferring a show already on film, to that of shooting a completely new series from beginning to end.

if they didnt value their show, they would not be holding onto it so dearly, and charging exorbitant fees for it. all this shows me that they place a high value on it. so for me, it is only a question of when, not if the show will be released.

2) the idea of making a series is to sell it. the human equation does not change. a show that has value today in that regard, will have value at any time in the future. a show like 222 was well-written, and well-acted, and the meaning of the show will always have value. so at any point in time, all a releaser would need to do is some advertising. a well written show can be easily advertised to sell.

i think the majority here are of the opinion that something has to have a known actor, such that humongous sales will appear within a week. and no doubt they would probably release these first, to garner in big bucks in a short timeframe.

but just how many of these kinds of shows are there ? and in the long run, they wont sell as much as the well-written shows. cuz guess what ? 10 years from now there will be a whole new slew of famous actors to exploit, and what will be left is a 50-year old show, that is written well, acted well, and has meaning to people versus a 10-year old show that has actors that no longer are in the limelight, and in a show that may not really be all that good.

3) every product has short-term dollars, and long-term dollars to it. just look at how paranoid these music rights holders are. as is evidenced in wonder years and wkrp, most of them are willing to sign agreements as long as they are not giving away the store in the FUTURE. i emphasize that word, because as stated, this is not just about current dollars.

peace out to all of you guys, as well !!

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Also, Chicago Hope, Still Standing, Yes Dear, Promised Land, Sisters, Homefront, Two Guys A Girl & A Pizza Place, The Parent'Hood, Savannah, and Space Cases also needs to be on DVD ASAP!!!!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Somebody needs to release the following spinoffs:

1. Sierra (Spinoff of Emergency).

2. Sons of Thunder (Spinoff of Walker, Texas Ranger, along with the Trial By Fire Movie).

3. Martial Law (Not a spinoff, but there was a crossover episode with the aforementioned WTR series)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks