What's new

With WKRP, Wonder Years and Batman now a reality, what's the next holy grail? (1 Viewer)

DisneySwan1990

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sagalina Hazzan
Brian Himes said:
As a side note, one of my other holy grail series is Lou Grant. Another one owned by Fox and part of the MTM library. So, I'm guessing no dice on that one as well.
Due to the same racism political correctness issues that Disney's Song of the South has been facing for over 30+ years, and that's why the film had only been released on home video in other countries.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Brian Himes said:
A complete series set is the only way to go with it at this point.
that is the only sort of release that i consider on any show.

everything else is just a part of the job. and they dont get any money from me until such time.

i am not about to contribute to any of this release a season nonsense.

to all of you i will just say "patience, grasshoppers".

good things come to those who wait.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Brian Himes said:
Not in the state that Shout Factory issued seasons 1 and 2. It is highly unlikely that Fox is going to foot the bill for the extensive restoration that the series needs for a proper release. Even if they do decide to restore the series for future HD syndication, it is also highly unlikely that they will release it on DVD. Personally, I think the series is dead. It has had little to no syndication in the 30+ years since it went off the air and has little to no name recognition. A complete series set is the only way to go with it at this point. Shout couldn't make a go of season 2. They stated that they only sold a few hundred copies of season 2. Sad, because it is one of my personal favorites and I would pay top dollar for a fully restored complete series set.

As a side note, one of my other holy grail series is Lou Grant. Another one owned by Fox and part of the MTM library. So, I'm guessing no dice on that one as well.
The only thing I know about the show is that Floyd Cramer did a cover version of the theme on an LP I have. I've never saw one episode even. It doesn't make it a bad show but if I've never seen it or really even heard of it until seeing a used LP, the general public probably doesn't know it/remember it either.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
the show i would pick first for me is the mitch miller show.

i liked it a lot, but not more than a lot of other shows.

HOWEVER, even without music rights problems, i think it is the biggest darkhorse of just about any show that i do like.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Here's one for you - who do we have to bug at Disney to get more episodes of the Disney anthology series out? There is just so much material (Gallagher, Texas John Slaughter, Swamp Fox, Daniel Boone, et al.) to get out, I cannot believe they hare not doing MOD or something to get a series that ran for so long out. Heck, a Wonderful World of Disney version with the Walt intros should be included with movies that aired as part of the series as well.There's a big holy grail for me.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
MattPeriolat said:
Here's one for you - who do we have to bug at Disney to get more episodes of the Disney anthology series out? There is just so much material (Gallagher, Texas John Slaughter, Swamp Fox, Daniel Boone, et al.) to get out, I cannot believe they hare not doing MOD or something to get a series that ran for so long out. Heck, a Wonderful World of Disney version with the Walt intros should be included with movies that aired as part of the series as well.There's a big holy grail for me.
I talked to Leonard Maltin about if we would see more releases like the Disney tins which had so much great stuff and he said there just wasn't the internal interest at the moment :(

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi adam,

thanks for relating personal info with one of the bigwigs

from what people are saying, fox is the worst in terms of releasing old stuff

do you have any direct contacts with them ?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Adam Gregorich said:
I talked to Leonard Maltin about if we would see more releases like the Disney tins which had so much great stuff and he said there just wasn't the internal interest at the moment :(
Adam:

Thank you for the the update, even if it is a sad one. The company appears to have no interest whatsoever in continuing to release either its classic live-action films (especially from the Walt era) or its various series from the Disneyland anthology show (in its various incarnations).

Darby

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
MattPeriolat said:
Here's one for you - who do we have to bug at Disney to get more episodes of the Disney anthology series out? There is just so much material (Gallagher, Texas John Slaughter, Swamp Fox, Daniel Boone, et al.) to get out, I cannot believe they hare not doing MOD or something to get a series that ran for so long out. Heck, a Wonderful World of Disney version with the Walt intros should be included with movies that aired as part of the series as well.

There's a big holy grail for me.
Matt:

I wholeheartedly agree! Releasing this content as Disney Move Club Exclusives would be the way to go. I would love to see the following various series from the Disneyland anthology show (in its various incarnations):

The Tales of Texas John Slaughter (the complete series of 17 episodes; starring Tom Tryon)

[*]Texas John Slaughter
[*]Ambush at Laredo
[*]Killers from Kansas
[*]Showdown at Sandoval
[*]The Man from Bitter Creek
[*]The Slaughter Trail
[*]The Robber Stallion
[*]Wild Horse Revenge
[*]Range War at Tombstone
[*]Desperado from Tombstone
[*]Apache Friendship
[*]Kentucky Gunslick
[*]Geronimo’s Revenge
[*]End of the Trail
[*]A Holster Full of Law
[*]A Trip to Tucson
[*]Frank Clell’s in Town
[/list]

Daniel Boone (the complete series of 4 episodes; starring Dewey Martin)

[*]The Warrior’s Path
[*]And Chase the Buffalo
[*]The Wilderness Road
[*]The Promised Land
[/list]

The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca (the complete series of 10 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Robert Loggia)

[*]The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca
[*]Four Down and Five Lives to Go
[*]Lawman or Gunman
[*]Law and Order, Incorporated
[*]Attorney-at-Law
[*]The Griswold Murder
[*]Move Along Mustangers
[*]Mustang Man, Mustang Maid
[*]Friendly Enemies at Law
[*]Gus Tomlin is Dead
[/list]

The Swamp Fox (the complete series of 8 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Leslie Nielsen)

[*]The Birth of the Swamp Fox
[*]Brother Against Brother
[*]Tory Vengeance
[*]Day of Reckoning
[*]Redcoat Strategy
[*]A Case of Treason
[*]A Woman’s Courage
[*]Horses for Greene
[/list]

The Saga of Andy Burnett (the complete series of 6 episodes; starring Jerome Courtland)

[*]Andy’s Initiation
[*]Andy’s First Chore
[*]Andy’s Love Affair
[*]The Land of Enemies
[*]White Man’s Medicine
[*]The Big Council
[/list]

The New Adventures of Davy Crockett (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Tim Dunigan)

[*]Davy Crockett: Rainbow in the Thunder
[*]Davy Crockett: A Natural Man
[*]Davy Crockett: Guardian Spirit
[*]Davy Crockett: A Letter to Polly
[*]Davy Crockett: Warrior’s Farewell
[/list]

Gallegher (the complete series of 3 episodes; starring Roger Mobley)

[*]Part 1
[*]Part 2
[*]Part 3
[/list]

The Further Adventures of Gallegher (the complete series of 3 episodes)

[*]A Case of Murder
[*]The Big Swindle
[*]The Daily Press vs. City Hall
[/list]

Gallegher Goes West (the complete series of 4 episodes)

[*]Showdown with the Sundown Kid
[*]Crusading Reporter
[*]Tragedy on the Trail
[*]Trial by Terror
[/list]

The Mystery of Edward Sims (the complete series of 2 episodes)

[*]Part 1
[*]Part 2
[/list]

Zorro and Son (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Henry Darrow as Don Diego de la Vega/Zorro, Sr. and Paul Regina as Don Carlos de la Vega/Zorro, Jr.)

[*]Zorro and Son (Pilot)
[*]Beauty and the Mask
[*]A Fistful of Pesos
[*]Wash Day
[*]The Butcher of Barcelona
[/list]
Additionally, I would love to see the following films that were broadcast on the anthology show:

The Light in the Forest (it is currently available for sale via Disney Educational Products for $29.99, but a DMC Exclusive release of the full version for a cheaper price would be preferable)

The Prince and the Pauper (starring Sean Scully and Guy Williams)

The Sign of Zorro (a theatrical film culled from episodes from the Zorro television show)

Zorro the Avenger (a theatrical film culled from episodes from the Zorro television show)

Secret of Boyne Castle (Guns in the Heather)

The Horsemasters

Moseby’s Marauders (Willie and the Yank)

Darby

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Disney releases some of these individual episodes and two+ parters from the Disney anthology series as Disney Movie Club Exclusives for a premium price. I wish they would have released season sets of the anthology program back when DVD sales were stronger. Now I doubt we'll see much in that regard.

The Treasures sets should have kept going. Leaving Swamp Fox and Elfego incomplete was ridiculous. Look at the list Darby has made, and one can see there is plenty of material to go through. And that would be just a start. Disney has let down many of their lifelong fans by the way they have handled their older material.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Darby67 said:
Matt:

I wholeheartedly agree! Releasing this content as Disney Move Club Exclusives would be the way to go. I would love to see the following various series from the Disneyland anthology show (in its various incarnations):

The Tales of Texas John Slaughter (the complete series of 17 episodes; starring Tom Tryon)

[*]Texas John Slaughter
[*]Ambush at Laredo
[*]Killers from Kansas
[*]Showdown at Sandoval
[*]The Man from Bitter Creek
[*]The Slaughter Trail
[*]The Robber Stallion
[*]Wild Horse Revenge
[*]Range War at Tombstone
[*]Desperado from Tombstone
[*]Apache Friendship
[*]Kentucky Gunslick
[*]Geronimo’s Revenge
[*]End of the Trail
[*]A Holster Full of Law
[*]A Trip to Tucson
[*]Frank Clell’s in Town
[/list]

Daniel Boone (the complete series of 4 episodes; starring Dewey Martin)

[*]The Warrior’s Path
[*]And Chase the Buffalo
[*]The Wilderness Road
[*]The Promised Land
[/list]

The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca (the complete series of 10 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Robert Loggia)

[*]The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca
[*]Four Down and Five Lives to Go
[*]Lawman or Gunman
[*]Law and Order, Incorporated
[*]Attorney-at-Law
[*]The Griswold Murder
[*]Move Along Mustangers
[*]Mustang Man, Mustang Maid
[*]Friendly Enemies at Law
[*]Gus Tomlin is Dead
[/list]

The Swamp Fox (the complete series of 8 episodes (3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes); starring Leslie Nielsen)

[*]The Birth of the Swamp Fox
[*]Brother Against Brother
[*]Tory Vengeance
[*]Day of Reckoning
[*]Redcoat Strategy
[*]A Case of Treason
[*]A Woman’s Courage
[*]Horses for Greene
[/list]

The Saga of Andy Burnett (the complete series of 6 episodes; starring Jerome Courtland)

[*]Andy’s Initiation
[*]Andy’s First Chore
[*]Andy’s Love Affair
[*]The Land of Enemies
[*]White Man’s Medicine
[*]The Big Council
[/list]

The New Adventures of Davy Crockett (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Tim Dunigan)

[*]Davy Crockett: Rainbow in the Thunder
[*]Davy Crockett: A Natural Man
[*]Davy Crockett: Guardian Spirit
[*]Davy Crockett: A Letter to Polly
[*]Davy Crockett: Warrior’s Farewell
[/list]

Gallegher (the complete series of 3 episodes; starring Roger Mobley)

[*]Part 1
[*]Part 2
[*]Part 3
[/list]

The Further Adventures of Gallegher (the complete series of 3 episodes)

[*]A Case of Murder
[*]The Big Swindle
[*]The Daily Press vs. City Hall
[/list]

Gallegher Goes West (the complete series of 4 episodes)

[*]Showdown with the Sundown Kid
[*]Crusading Reporter
[*]Tragedy on the Trail
[*]Trial by Terror
[/list]

The Mystery of Edward Sims (the complete series of 2 episodes)

[*]Part 1
[*]Part 2
[/list]

Zorro and Son (the complete series of 5 episodes; starring Henry Darrow as Don Diego de la Vega/Zorro, Sr. and Paul Regina as Don Carlos de la Vega/Zorro, Jr.)

[*]Zorro and Son (Pilot)
[*]Beauty and the Mask
[*]A Fistful of Pesos
[*]Wash Day
[*]The Butcher of Barcelona
[/list]
Additionally, I would love to see the following films that were broadcast on the anthology show:

The Light in the Forest (it is currently available for sale via Disney Educational Products for $29.99, but a DMC Exclusive release of the full version for a cheaper price would be preferable)

The Prince and the Pauper (starring Sean Scully and Guy Williams)

The Sign of Zorro (a theatrical film culled from episodes from the Zorro television show)

Zorro the Avenger (a theatrical film culled from episodes from the Zorro television show)

Secret of Boyne Castle (Guns in the Heather)

The Horsemasters

Moseby’s Marauders (Willie and the Yank)

Darby
I'd add "Kilroy" to the list.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
ChrisALM said:
Disney releases some of these individual episodes and two+ parters from the Disney anthology series as Disney Movie Club Exclusives for a premium price. I wish they would have released season sets of the anthology program back when DVD sales were stronger. Now I doubt we'll see much in that regard.The Treasures sets should have kept going. Leaving Swamp Fox and Elfego incomplete was ridiculous. Look at the list Darby has made, and one can see there is plenty of material to go through. And that would be just a start. Disney has let down many of their lifelong fans by the way they have handled their older material.
And we are just scratching the surface. You could do a whole DVD set on the episodes on construction updates for Disneyland, plus we have never seen the full 90 minute version of Opening Day of the park on DVD.It kills me that Disney is sitting on a gold mine of material that they could make a fortune on and yet has no interest on exploiting, outside of bare bones releases in the Disney Movie Club. I just don't understand it. Clearly fans want the material (look how fast the Scarecrow Treasure sold out), which means someone at Disney just does not care enough about their past to get it out. Guess they don't love making money either.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
ChrisALM said:
Disney releases some of these individual episodes and two+ parters from the Disney anthology series as Disney Movie Club Exclusives for a premium price. I wish they would have released season sets of the anthology program back when DVD sales were stronger. Now I doubt we'll see much in that regard.

The Treasures sets should have kept going. Leaving Swamp Fox and Elfego incomplete was ridiculous. Look at the list Darby has made, and one can see there is plenty of material to go through. And that would be just a start. Disney has let down many of their lifelong fans by the way they have handled their older material.
Chris:

I agree that with the declining physical media sales, the hope of seeing this content on physical media dwindles as well. As you point out, the DMC Exclusives are typically high priced; Additionally, they also have a tendency to be the shorter theatrical versions rather than the longer multi-episode versions that ran on the anthology series (their laudable DMC Exclusive release of The Magnificent Rebel was an exception in that it fully preserved the two full 50-minute television episodes and even included the Wonderful World of Color opening titles for Parts 1 and 2, Walt’s intros for Parts 1 and 2, Walt’s ending for Part 1, the preview of next week’s Part 2 episodes, and the full credits for both parts; It was as complete a release of The Magnificent Rebel as any fan could hope for) and the releases are typically full-frame rather than widescreen.

One of the redeeming qualities of the DMC Exclusives is that these titles get a DVD release at all; it has been the only way that The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men, The Sword and the Rose, So Dear to My Heart, The Fighting Prince of Donegal, Kidnapped, Rob Roy: The Highland Rogue, Tonka, and many others have seen the light of day in terms of contemporary physical media. A few of their DMC Exclusives were later released in general retail.

I've been a member of the Disney Movie Club for many years and since I have fulfilled my minimum purchase requirement long ago, as a VIP member I typically wait for the 50% or 60% sales (which frequent) to make my purchases, although you still pay full price for the first title.

The wonderful Walt Disney Treasures line is unfortunately dead and buried, but at least we did get some nuggets while it lasted such as the complete series of Davy Crockett and Zorro, as well as my absolutely favorite of all time, Dr. Syn The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (when that title sold out its ridiculously limited supply so quickly, I thought for sure the company would do general retail release, but, alas, no). Swamp Fox and Elfego Barca should have both been released in their entirety.

Darby

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It would be nice to get all that stuff on Blu-ray, but they can't even be bothered to do it for DVD. Do they just not know and not care, or do they have specific reasons for not wanting to release them?

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Yes, I would love blu-ray from Disney, but I can't imagine how miniscule that chance would be. It's almost like Disney wants to forget the Walt persona. Just stamp his signature logo on the modern material, and that is all that is needed. Releasing Anthology program material without the Walt intros - I mean, c'mon.

I don't think anyone at that company understands the respect older Disney fans have for Walt Disney; the high regard that Walt Disney engendered, from a generation of kids who grew up on his entertainment for so many years.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
ChrisALM said:
Yes, I would love blu-ray from Disney, but I can't imagine how miniscule that chance would be. It's almost like Disney wants to forget the Walt persona. Just stamp his signature logo on the modern material, and that is all that is needed. Releasing Anthology program material without the Walt intros - I mean, c'mon.

I don't think anyone at that company understands the respect older Disney fans have for Walt Disney; the high regard that Walt Disney engendered, from a generation of kids who grew up on his entertainment for so many years.
They don't even put his name on the films he actually made anymore. Compare the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray of Sleeping Beauty, where "Walt Disney" is right above the title to the upcoming Diamond Edition. Now it's just plain old "Disney." They're too lazy to even add an apostrophe and an "s" at the end to give it a possessive tense. And this is an across-the-board policy. No more "Walt Disney's" or "Walt Disney Productions'" or "Walt Disney Pictures'" or any of that. It's ironic they made a movie where Walt is the central character, yet it seems they've been doing what they can to distance themselves from his legacy even though there wouldn't be a studio today without it.

I don't know why Disney doesn't create a cable channel just for vintage material. They can even call it Disney Sr.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
MatthewA said:
They don't even put his name on the films he actually made anymore. Compare the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray of Sleeping Beauty, where "Walt Disney" is right above the title to the upcoming Diamond Edition. Now it's just plain old "Disney." They're too lazy to even add an apostrophe and an "s" at the end to give it a possessive tense. And this is an across-the-board policy. No more "Walt Disney's" or "Walt Disney Productions'" or "Walt Disney Pictures'" or any of that. It's ironic they made a movie where Walt is the central character, yet it seems they've been doing what they can to distance themselves from his legacy even though there wouldn't be a studio today without it.

I don't know why Disney doesn't create a cable channel just for vintage material. They can even call it Disney Sr.
Preach it, Disney just like a lot of other studio's need to stop and remember where the started and came from. I roll my eye's everytime I see Disney instead of Disney's or Walt Disney's. How lazy do you have to be to not add " 's " does whoever in the Art Dept who does the covers not pass elementary school english?

I'd love to see a Vault Disney channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks