What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Wireless transcoders to connect PC to TV (1 Viewer)

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I recently picked up a couple PC games (Vice City and Mafia) and I've been playing them on my home computer (Dell Dimension 8200) with a 15-inch LCD screen. Not a bad experience, but I've gotten used to playing the Gamecube on the rear projection in the home theater so needless to say it wasn't exactly ideal. In another thread I saw mention of a PC to TV transcoder and have since been doing some research on them.

I live in a two bedroom apartment with the home computer in the extra bedroom and the home theater setup in the living room...there's probably 30 feet of separation between the computer and the sweet spot in the theater. Anyway I was looking at transcoders and began thinking what a pain in the ass it would be to relocate my computer every time I wanted to play a PC game through the home theater and I didn't really want to purchase a 30 or 40 foot long video cable (whether it be composite, s-video, or component)to connect the two, plus I would still have an issue with the mouse and keyboard (both of which are stock Dell products). This is when I saw GrandTec's Ultimate Wireless system at a local CompUSA and began thinking about wireless options. The first issue I've noticed is that your not going to get a component connection on a wireless video transmitter as of yet, at least not on the couple that I have actually found. The second issue has been a lack of information and past experiences that I have been able to find on people using these products and their impressions. Lastly, I would also need a wireless keyboard/mouse combo that would be able to span the 30 or so feet from the bedroom to the living room....again so I can play the PC games on the "big screen" (well sort of big screen...Toshiba 40H80). I realize there is a whole mess of issues regarding refresh rates, resolutions, overscan, and the like as well.

I guess I'm curious if anyone else has done something similar and if so what they have used. Also if anyone has any feedback on the GrandTec Ultimate Wireless system or other wireless systems (saw one at the Smarthome site that was a little pricier). Would picking up a PC to TV transcoder with component outputs and utilizing a separate wireless transmitter be an option? Sorry for all the questions and the rambling (its been a very long time since I've posted on the forum), but computer hardware is not really my strong suit. I'm also not looking to break the bank on this cause its really not a necessity (but I always like checking out new gadgets). Anyway...any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any personal experience with these wireless devices (other than I've considered purchasing one). But D-Link is coming out with a wireless media player to connect computer to tv using the 802.11g standard. Don't know how much it costs, but it's something else to check in to.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the info on the wireless D-Link player, I'll keep my eye out for it.

Is the 802.11g standard related to the frequency of the wireless signal?

Are these wireless transcoders a fairly new technology?...I haven't seen too much discussion on them, or do most people just have their PCs located close enough to their HT that wireless options aren't really even considered (which I assume would be the case for HTPC)?

Thanks again.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
These are relatively new. The "older" wireless standards did not provide enough brandwidth to stream good quality video, but with 802.11g which came out about a year ago that problem has been solved for the most part. 802.11g works at 54Mbps. I've never seen it in action, but supposedly it does a decent job with video.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Does anybody have any experience with the quality of video streaming using the new 802.11g standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks