What's new

Will Bringing Up Baby get a blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
LeoA said:
Sort of, if we just look at the numbers. But it's not a particularly good representation of his filmography.

If it isn't from the very tail end of his career, it's likely not present on this format. Off the top of my head, I can only think of the decent Olive release for Penny Serenade, Notorious from MGM (With how many Hitchcock movies out, where's Suspicion?) and the excellent releases for The Bishop's Wife and Only Angels Have Wings as exceptions.

With the vast majority of his most beloved classics from the height of his career absent on this format, I don't really see how one can disagree. I'm glad we have movies like Operation Petticoat and Father Goose, but it's those 15 years or so after Topper that most view as the pinnacle of his career.

Only 4 available out of 30 or so movies, just stinks for an individual that many consider the greatest Hollywood actor of all-time.

Leaving aside the question of what was "the height of his career" - I'm sure there is more than opinion on that - your argument is correct but ignores the central qualification: NO major star, not even John Wayne, is comprehensively represented on Blu-ray disc.

The reason has been thoroughly discussed at HTF several times and comes down to one fact. Blu-ray is still not the big seller that DVD was at its peak and consequently the studios are not releasing back catalog titles in large numbers. Cary Grant is doing far better than many other major stars of the Golden Age; stars like James Cagney, Fred Astaire and Humphrey Bogart.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
Leaving aside the question of what was "the height of his career" - I'm sure there is more than opinion on that - your argument is correct but ignores the central qualification: NO major star, not even John Wayne, is comprehensively represented on Blu-ray disc.

The reason has been thoroughly discussed at HTF several times and comes down to one fact. Blu-ray is still not the big seller that DVD was at its peak and consequently the studios are not releasing back catalog titles in large numbers. Cary Grant is doing far better than many other major stars of the Golden Age; stars like James Cagney, Fred Astaire and Humphrey Bogart.
Even though John Wayne made a lot of films including all of those "B" westerns, I still own 51 of his films on Blu-ray with some major exceptions such as The Alamo, The Shootist, The Sons of Katie Elder, Donovan's Reef, In Harm's Way, The High and the Mighty, Operation Pacific, Flying Leathernecks, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and etc.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Philadelphia Story is by far my favourite of this period, though I also really like 'The Front Page'.

But as for Cary being at his peak in this period, I differ .. 'Notorious', . 'North by Northwest', 'To Catch a Thief' and Charade' are my top choices for Cary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AnthonyClarke said:
The Philadelphia Story is by far my favourite of this period, though I also really like 'The Front Page'.

But as for Cary being at his peak in this period, I differ .. 'Notorious', . 'North by Northwest', 'To Catch a Thief' and Charade' are my top choices for Cary.
I think his peak was in His Girl Friday! Just watching him spit out that dialogue throughout that great comedy is a joy to watch.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
AnthonyClarke said:

While I haven't seen anyone accuse me of this, I obviously wasn't out to speak for everyone. I have no doubt that a fan could love Cary Grant and prefer him in the later years of his acting career when he starred in classics such as North by Northwest.

That said and perhaps I'm mistaken, but I'm confident that the majority of people that consider themselves as a Cary Grant fan, hold those 15 years or so in the middle of his acting career as his finest moment on the silver screen.

Either way, I definitely feel that way at the very least. While I love everything that he was in from Topper right through to his final movie that remade The More the Merrier (Although I love the original for this one, much more), it's definitely those middle years that I most love.

Just to be completely honest, I've yet to see Once Upon a Time, The Grass is Greener, and perhaps embarrassing since I believe it was one of his biggest 50's success, The Pride and the Passion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks