What's new

Will Bringing Up Baby get a blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
davidmatychuk said:
Watching "Bringing Up Baby" with a dear friend back in 2000, we counted the number of times the name "David" is spoken -192. I believe that's the record. Yes, please, to a Blu-Ray.
No, no, that's Blink 192. You're confusing Bringing Up baby with Scarface (seems tough to do!). :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
darkrock17 said:
I'd love to have this screwball classic in my collection, but I doubt WB would give this a wide release and it would come from Archives instead. Criterion would give this film the treatment it deserves as well as the other 30's-40's classics as well.

Does it make a difference? I mean other than a few dollars in price as WAC titles have a higher retail price because it's more expensive to do shorter runs, but that is less risk for Warner because they don't potentially end up sitting on piles of unsold product. If Warner were to choose to relegate all their classic titles to Blu-ray through the Archive I'd be thrilled.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
There is no difference whatsoever, in my opinion, between the quality in regular 'retail' Warner Blu-rays and Warner Archive Blu-ray discs. I'd be happy to have all the classics come via the Archive route, if that is what is going to happen.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Rob Willey said:
I'd also like to see Holiday along with The Philadelphia Story.

No question about it, and I often find I'm more in the mood for Holiday than The Philadelphia Story.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Matt Hough said:
No question about it, and I often find I'm more in the mood for Holiday than The Philadelphia Story.
I've never been a big fan of Holiday. I always thought The Philadelphia Story was a more enjoyable film.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
classicmovieguy said:
"Philadelphia Story", for me, gets better and better every time I see it.

For me, it's also an emotional experience because that was THE movie that "flipped" my switch as a little kid when I watched it with my Nana (her favorite movie) and fell FOREVER in love with what we used to term "old movies."

It's such an unabashedly overwhelming HOLLYWOOD moment that my eyes still sting every time Tracy Lord says, "Put me in your pocket, Mike" and they scamper off, hand-in-hand, toward their midnight swim. (We did... SWIM, didn't we?)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
The Philadelphia Story is probably my favorite movie and I am one of a small minority that loves Holiday but is fairly meh about Bringing Up Baby.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
This absolutely should get a release on BD-even limited to Archive would be good.

The work on "Angels" was pretty spectacular.

In keeping with the mention of "Only Angels Have Wings" and the wish for "His Girl Friday" as Grant/Columbia films, it would be great to see "The Awful Truth" get stellar treatment.

Irene Dunne cracking wise is one of the great comedic performances:

"I guess it was easier for her to change her name than for her whole family to change theirs."

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I love Holiday! It might even be my favorite of the Grant/Hepburn movies though I love all of them. I'd also love to see all the others that have been mentioned on Blu-Ray along with The Awful Truth!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Rob Willey said:
The Philadelphia Story is probably my favorite movie and I am one of a small minority that loves Holiday but is fairly meh about Bringing Up Baby.
BABY features one of Grant's manic gigs in which he is constantly mugging and making odd vocal sounds, but I find it tolerable when compared to his character in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, which I simply can't watch again because his frantic, self-conscious performance makes me want to hurl tomatoes at the screen. For me he single-handedly ruins an otherwise rather nifty movie. A lot of people would probably lynch me for saying that, but diversity is its own reward.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Dick said:
BABY features one of Grant's manic gigs in which he is constantly mugging and making odd vocal sounds, but I find it tolerable when compared to his character in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, which I simply can't watch again because his frantic, self-conscious performance makes me want to hurl tomatoes at the screen. For me he single-handedly ruins an otherwise rather nifty movie. A lot of people would probably lynch me for saying that, but diversity is its own reward. When he settled into less manic comedy or even dramatic roles, he appealed to me a great deal more. I love GUNGA DIN and THE AWFUL TRUTH. But the Cary Grant I especially like didn't emerge until the 50's, when he grew into the suave and sophisticated character he pretty much maintained until he retired.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Dick said:
when compared to his character in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, which I simply can't watch again because his frantic, self-conscious performance makes me want to hurl tomatoes at the screen. For me he single-handedly ruins an otherwise rather nifty movie. A lot of people would probably lynch me for saying that, but diversity is its own reward.

You'd be acting the same way he did if you found your family was hiding dead bodies all over the house.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Reggie W said:
A long time favorite of mine after having enjoyed the blu for Only Angels Have Wings so much would love to see this (and His Girl Friday) get blu-ray releases.

And so many others like The Talk of the Town, Arsenic and Old Lace, I Was a Male War Bridge, The Philadelphia Story, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, etc.

The representation on Blu-Ray for Cary Grant, an individual many would select as their favorite actor of all-time, is almost shameful.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
LeoA said:
And so many others like The Talk of the Town, Arsenic and Old Lace, I Was a Male War Bridge, The Philadelphia Story, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, etc.

The representation on Blu-Ray for Cary Grant, an individual many would select as their favorite actor of all-time, is almost shameful.

Cary Grant is perhaps my favorite movie star but I can't complain about what Blu-ray has done for him. Many of his films are available on Blu-ray disc.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Robin9 said:
Many of his films are available on Blu-ray disc.

Sort of, if we just look at the numbers. But it's not a particularly good representation of his filmography.

If it isn't from the very tail end of his career, it's likely not present on this format. Off the top of my head, I can only think of the decent Olive release for Penny Serenade, Notorious from MGM (With how many Hitchcock movies out, where's Suspicion?) and the excellent releases for The Bishop's Wife and Only Angels Have Wings as exceptions.

With the vast majority of his most beloved classics from the height of his career absent on this format, I don't really see how one can disagree. I'm glad we have movies like Operation Petticoat and Father Goose, but it's those 15 years or so after Topper that most view as the pinnacle of his career.

Only 4 available out of 30 or so movies, just stinks for an individual that many consider the greatest Hollywood actor of all-time.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Dick said:
BABY features one of Grant's manic gigs in which he is constantly mugging and making odd vocal sounds, but I find it tolerable when compared to his character in ARSENIC AND OLD LACE, which I simply can't watch again because his frantic, self-conscious performance makes me want to hurl tomatoes at the screen. For me he single-handedly ruins an otherwise rather nifty movie. A lot of people would probably lynch me for saying that, but diversity is its own reward.
I love Grant in Baby and I think he was very good in Arsenic, but you are generally correct that he does too much mugging. Hawks must have toned him down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks