What's new

Why RP91 more expensive in black? (1 Viewer)

Rich H

Second Unit
Just curious. Why would the RP91 be more expensive in a black finish vs. the presumably more "upscale" gold finish?

I've seen $479.99 for gold and $549.99 for a black.

What gives?

Thanks,

Rich.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, was that from the same dealer? If so, that makes no sense. I've only seen the black version at Tweeter (brick-and-mortar store in the US), but a number of the large mail-order dealers offer both colors for the same price (i.e., prices vary from dealer to dealer, but a given dealer will have both colors for the same price).

If I were in the market for the 'RP91, I'd go with the gold version. I feel the black version is dull-looking. I have the Technics DVD-A10, which preceded the 'RP91 and was only available in gold, and it is a sweet-looking machine. By contrast, I thought it's Panasonic counterpart, the DVD-A7, which was only available in black, looked dull. Now I am thinking of buying a Panasonic DVD-RA60 DVD-Audio player, which is available in black or silver, for my second system. As you can probably guess, I am leaning heavily towards the silver version.

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
Unauthorized internet dealers cannot get both colors a lot of times, so whatever color they offer more of (The manufacturer) you can get cheaper. For example, I couldn't find Gold Marantz components online, yet the Black was readily available. If an online dealer is charging more for a color, or doesn't HAVE a color, you can guarantee if your unit needs service, you're SOL.

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that the "cost" of the two units is exactly the same. Retailers are allowed to sell at whatever price they choose.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
If I were in the market for the 'RP91, I'd go with the gold version.
KeithH, I hear what you're saying...but since all of my other components are black, I'll probably go with the black RP-91 to match. Although, every now and then I have a notion to break from the norm...nah!

Additionally, other sites have both colors at the same price, so the issue of cost does not play into the decision, which allows one to make it the decision based on aesthetics.

Incidentally (FYI), I just visited their site again and they claim to have the black RP-91 in stock and shipping in 1 to 2 days. The gold is listed as "currently unavailable".

Randy G

Second Unit
Hey Gang,
You should at least thank Bergan Peters for that pearl of wisdom...an excellent unauthorized dealer detector! Very good info.
Randy
ps- if anybody's looking to be hooked up with an AuThOrIzEd dealer(20% off for electronics, 25% for speakers), just shoot me an email at [email protected]
Mission, PSB, Denon, Monitor Audio, Lexicon, Sherbourn, Velodyne, Integra Research, Onkyo & numerous projectors

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Rich, first of all, I hope you're not planning on buying one of these from the US! It isn't going to be any cheaper and you've got warranty issues to worry about.

As for the pricing, it's got to be a supply and demand issue. Panasonic Canada has plenty of gold units in stock, but the black ones are hard to come by.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks