What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary UCE (DVD/Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which is why you have to jump on these deals as soon as possible because I don't trust any of these sites to leave up such a deal for any length of time. I had a feeling that Warner would close this off as soon as they realized how many customers were using this code.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ouch! My idea of a no-frills set is not $50. I don't ever want to pay more than $30 for a movie and there had better be some darn good extras for that price. I haven't paid that much yet, so obviously I don't have Casablanca and I won't have WOZ. I'm not a collector so all this newly manufactured "memorabilia" has no value to me.

Now if they want to include the original ruby slippers for that price, maybe
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think 49.95 was the MSRP for CE3K. If you look online, you'll see the price is typically around $35. It's also a 3-disc set on BD with some truly amazing extras.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That $45 price point through the short-lived WB STORE discount
was probably the only way I would have justified the purchase of
the box set. In a way I am sort of glad the codes were revoked
as it gives me a better option of spending my money on something
else.

I will just wait until Warner eventually releases a single-disc
release of both OZ and GONE WITH THE WIND.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

Yes, this is all that I meant. $49.95 for all of the content on disc 1 and 2 on Blu is "fair" imho. $84.95 for the content AND the trinkets in the box is NOT. If Warner had priced the 2-disc blu-ray without the trinkets at $49.95, you would be able to find it in the low 30's and POSSIBLY less from a vendor on the Amazon marketplace (there are now plenty of new and sealed copies available of CE3K in the $25.00 range). WHV is correct in not treating Oz like a typical catalog title, but I simply think they've gone overboard by offering the $84.95 UCE as the ONLY edition. Summing this up, YES, I'm willing to spend a little more for OZ, but not $60 plus.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I can't agree on fair pricing being $50 MSRP for discs only, especially on a title like Oz which is a guaranteed seller. Consider another WB title: Blade Runner - 5 discs, multiple cuts of the film, a great documentary - and all for $25 street. That was a complete no brainer of a purchase. A 2 disc set should be no more than $35-40MSRP/$20-25 street.

ReggieW

Screenwriter

Well, this would certainly be ideal, but WHV has apparently abandoned that pricing/marketing strategy for some reason. I don't know if they lost money on Blade Runner or not, but that set certainly did offer outstanding value for the money. I too was surprised that the Blade Runner 5-disc only carried a $39.95 msrp. The OZ discs do appear to carry a lot of content (especially if it carrys the full "Lion Roars" doc), but then so did Blade Runner. It isn't easy to argue for $49.95, but this would be a huge improvement over the $84.95 msrp (which I still can't believe their pushing in this economic climate - with a family film no less!?).

I agree with Jim that this amounts to giving us the big middle finger.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Of course, for those of us who spent the late 80s thru the mid 90s collecting laserdiscs, paying ~$60 for a high definition copy of this film loaded with tons of extra a/v content, is still a bargain.
Compared to 10 years of DVD buying, though, the value is severely neutered.

I get the small pool of buyers = higher cost paradigm.
I think what Warner doesn't get is that they could modify that and come out farther ahead.
Instead of $85 for the deluxe edition, why not make it outrageously deluxe, hand signed by the last surviving munchkins grandson, and outrageously priced, at something like $125 or $150? There are a certain segment of hardcore title-centric collectors for whom desirability is stimulated by the price tag. The more exclusive something is priced, the more desirable is becomes.
If they have to sell 50,000 units at $30 msrp, 17,500 units at $85 msrp, then they would only have to move 9,000 at $150.
The thing is though, that would open up the ability to release a stripped down version at a still premium priced $50 or $60 and still foster the perception that it is 'a bargain' purchase.

If that is in fact an interior case that can be removed and put on the shelf so that I can toss the rest of it in the closet- then I may yet bite on this. I sold off my 2 disc set way back in 2006 in anticipation of this release and I'm getting really anxious to be able to see it again.

Not only that, but it looks like the flood of great catalog that was anticipated (Alien, Ben Hur, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, and others) in Q4 isn't coming after all. Looks like there will be more room in the budget, for a big box o' junk.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I think $35 would be reasonable considering Criterion releases generally go for that... and they're always worth it. I paid about $30 each for Warner's packed Jazz Singer, the 4-disc GWTW, and 3-disc Oz. Oz and GWTW also had pared down versions for cheap, which probably boosted sales. But they wouldn't charge $65 if they were not including all the trinkets.

Then again, people used to pay upwards of $60 just to get a bare-bones laserdisc and that was a bargain.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am sure there will be many deals on this set in the 4th quarter. I preordered the Star Trek movies only to find there were much better deals shortly after release. I am hoping for the same thing with The Wizard of Oz.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Let's face it, it's up to each consumer to decide if they are willing to pay the price. I can't really say if I would have paid over $30 for BR because I bought it on sale at Amazon for freaky price of $15. I think it was a one day sale. If they were selling it for that, even for one day, I'm thinking it didn't sell all that well, which is disappointing.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
783A42xp Code copied from DVD Talk HD thread

Above code for the WB shop is a buy 2 get 1 blu ray free code. If you have 3 Warner blu rays you want and Wizard of Oz is one it will work. For some reason codes do not work for the Wizard of Oz . I was testing the 30% off coupon and it would take 30% off Gone With The Wind and John Adams in blu-ray but not the Wizard of Oz. I guess you could try calling customer service and ask if they would manually apply coupon to the Wizard. The above code will work if the Wizard is one of the 3 items. The Wizard however will not be the free item.
There was some talk on the web that a 25% coupon was stackable with the above code. It didn't work when I tried it. The site took the 25% off coupon out of my order as I proceeded through the checkout.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the code as I was able to buy "Gone with the Wind", "Lord of the Rings Trilogy" and "Sarah Connors Chronicles Season 2" for $47.66 tax included for each item with free shipping.

Crawdaddy

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Was able to get "Lord of the Rings Trilogy", "Wizard of Oz", & "Terminator: Sarah Conner Chronicles Season 2" for avg price of $48.11 each.

Terminator was considered the freebie.

dvdirv

Grip
Real Name
Irv Haas
The issue of a deluxe OZ set vs. a regular one came up at the last Warner Home Video chat. The Warner rep said they "were looking into" putting out a regular edition of OZ.

Excuse me, but that was several months ago. There would have been sufficient time to announce both editions by now.

My solution? I'm hoping that a regular edition is released in the UK. Warners releases are usually always region free.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Don't know whether to place this in the LOTR thread or this one.
Thanks to the coupon code jockeys I just placed the following order

SHIPMENT #1 – EST. DELIVERY DATE – 11/06/2009
1. The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-Ray) 

Item # 1000092794

PRE-ORDER 

$69.95

2. Wizard of Oz: Ultimate Collector's Edition (BD) 

Item # 1000044112

PRE-ORDER 

$64.95

3. Gone with the Wind: Ultimate Collector's Edition (BD) 
Item # 1000043133

PRE-ORDER 

$64.95

4. Watchmen (Blu-Ray) 
Item
# 1000089879

PRE-ORDER 

$29.95

5. Contact (BD) 
Item
# 1000092338

PRE-ORDER 

$23.95

6. New World, The: Extended Cut (BD)
Item # 1000096960

PRE-ORDER 

$23.95

Merchandise Total$157.83
Shipping Total:$0.00
Sales Tax Total:$11.03
Total: $168.86

It seems the 25% off code is stackable with a B2G1 code, and to my surprise, the order formated so that the free title got taken from both price groupings- rather than the two least priced titles being free. This may be due to the fact that I put these titles in the cart in the exact order of shown here in this invoice.
In any case- while I detest these Box O' Junk releases, and was easily going to pass on the theatrical cuts of LOTR, This price just seems like too good a deal to waver and waffle on. I made an earlier oder tonight using the 30% off code for GWTW, Watchman, Contact, and New World that came to $107. That was a decent enough deal- but for $60 more (NYS Tax included!) I'm now getting LOTR and WoO.

This is more like it.

Just for reference- the two codes I used were
XB692 (25%off)
783A42xp (B2G1)

I used the 25% off code after the first item was in the cart, and used the B2G1 code prior to checking out.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Such a decision was likely above their authority, and all they were indicating was that they would pass the word upstairs, and the marketing people probably overruled them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brandon,

I also tend to agree that there was probably a lot of red tape involved
in the decision making process to put out just one sku of this title.

Paul

What are the latest coupon codes that are working for you and
where did you buy? If I can get TWOO and GWTW for at least
30% off then I will make the purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,
These are the codes and I suggest you use them as soon as possible.

XB692 (25%off)
783A42xp (B2G1)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
As others have noted, none of the 25%/30% coupons seem to work on Wizard of Oz.
The way to get around this is to use the coupons for other items in the order and then add on a Buy 2 Get 1 free coupon to the order right before you checkout.
The msrp on the order I posted above was close to $370 which means I'm getting (if it goes through) about 54% off everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks