What's new

WHV Press Release: The Exorcist 40th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
JohnMor said:
No, the directors cut was what appeared on the previous Blu-ray. It's not new or simply renamed from the "Version You've Never Seen." It has some minor changes from that version. Removal of some of the more clumsy superimpositions, etc. It's a subtle difference, but an improvement.
Now that you mention it, wasn't the goofy floating Pazuzu head in the kitchen gone or more subtle? The added scenes are still the same though, correct?

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
WB is holding back when it comes to whether or not their re-releases contain an upgrade in picture and sound. A new documentary is not enough for me to re-purchase. Friedkin was all excited about a new transfer. Why isn't it being touted in the press release? Same for Oz.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was going to ask the same: how come the press release doesn't mention a new transfer?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WB is holding back when it comes to whether or not their re-releases contain an upgrade in picture and sound.
They absolutely seem to be. I have been hitting roadblocks talking with
people at Warner that don't usually stall me when I ask them questions.
I was going to ask the same: how come the press release doesn't mention a new transfer?
You would think the studio would be smart to state, if it is, that is is.

However, I have gotten to the point where I tend to think they are simply
rehashing the same transfers.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
They absolutely seem to be. I have been hitting roadblocks talking with
people at Warner that don't usually stall me when I ask them questions.

You would think the studio would be smart to state, if it is, that is is.

However, I have gotten to the point where I tend to think they are simply
rehashing the same transfers.
Ron,

I think you are right. When I heard comments sometime ago from Friedkin about a new scan coming, I was suspicious because the current release looks very good and film-like. Perhaps he was mistaken and that new scan he referred to was actually already done for the original release. Warner seems always list when a new transfer is done in their press release (such as for Enter the Dragon 40th, etc.).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Warner seems always list when a new transfer is done in their press release
Okay, you just answered a question I had.

So, Warner does occasionally state that certain reissues do have
a brand-new transfer? Forgive me, I don't read all the press releases
I post that thoroughly.

If that is the case, I would assume that Oz and The Exorcist are the
same transfers in new packaging.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Okay, you just answered a question I had.

So, Warner does occasionally state that certain reissues do have
a brand-new transfer? Forgive me, I don't read all the press releases
I post that thoroughly.

If that is the case, I would assume that Oz and The Exorcist are the
same transfers in new packaging.
I haven't read all of the releases, but of the movies which caught my attention they always seem to state if it's a new transfer.

Just saw your confirmation on Oz in the other thread which further supports this.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I get such a kick from this picture: a crocheted Exorcist scene...
Crocheted Exorcist.jpg

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I've been wanting to show this at SkyDome Cinema (my backyard theater) for some time now. I was going to wait for the new version, but I don't think it will be any different. So, I'm showing it next Friday night. :) I can't wait to see it on the big screen again.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
moviebuff75 said:
I've been wanting to show this at SkyDome Cinema (my backyard theater) for some time now. I was going to wait for the new version, but I don't think it will be any different. So, I'm showing it next Friday night. :) I can't wait to see it on the big screen again.
You wouldn't happen to have some concrete steps that lead to the sky dome? :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
They are trying to get as much money out of the format while a "few" people are still buying hard media. This involves continued repackagings etc., which are very cheap compared to doing any actual new work with any film. It's just business. After all, most people are apparently watching movies on laptops and smartphones via the likes of Netflix...not exactly the HD audio/video market. They have to recoup the money already spent, possibly in a much shorter timeframe than they had expected when they made the initial investment.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Colin Jacobson said:
$$$. The 89th release of "Oz" is gonna sell better than the 1st release of some obscure flick, methinks...
Exactly right...the marketing departments of every major studio are not going to let milestone anniversaries of their biggest-selling catalog titles such as this and "The Wizard Of Oz" pass without being promoted with all the bells and whistles their budgets will muster...it's the Hollywood way of doing business!!!

Derrick King

Screenwriter
CraigF said:
They are trying to get as much money out of the format while a "few" people are still buying hard media. This involves continued repackagings etc., which are very cheap compared to doing any actual new work with any film. It's just business. After all, most people are apparently watching movies on laptops and smartphones via the likes of Netflix...not exactly the HD audio/video market. They have to recoup the money already spent, possibly in a much shorter timeframe than they had expected when they made the initial investment.
Which is all the more reason for them to license titles to Criterion, Shout Factory, etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Derrick King said:
Which is all the more reason for them to license titles to Criterion, Shout Factory, etc.
Why keep bringing that up when we know they're not going to do that.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
lukejosephchung said:
Exactly right...the marketing departments of every major studio are not going to let milestone anniversaries of their biggest-selling catalog titles such as this and "The Wizard Of Oz" pass without being promoted with all the bells and whistles their budgets will muster...it's the Hollywood way of doing business!!!
Even better, WB can sell us another "Oz" 75th anniversary set next year when the movie ACTUALLY turns 75! :D

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
Why keep bringing that up when we know they're not going to do that.
I've only mentioned that this one time. If they don't want to spend the money to release their catalog themselves, it makes sense to license titles to a third party and have them pay for all the production costs.

But you are right, they will not license to other companies (except for the titles they have currently licensed to Criterion) and they'll continue to re-release the same titles they always re-release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks