What's new

Criterion Press Release: Dressed To Kill (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
So I bought the Criterion of DRESSED TO KILL on Amazon a few days ago, more or less as an impulse buy, in order to get free shipping for another item. I have the Arrow of DRESSED TO KILL, which I believe is basically the same master as the Region 1 MGM Blu.I wasn't really all that interested in double dipping, but boy, was I wrong!The difference between the two discs is very substantial, in a way I wasn't expecting. Of course, it should be a lot more detailed since it's from the Original negative, and was supervised by Brain De Palma.The textures and the way the light seems to caress the actors, especially Angie Dickinson, are fairly hallucinatory.The MGM/Arrow Blu is very bright but kind of flat, while the Criterion is not darker, so much as more modeled and subtle in its lighting and use of color. In particular, I was taken by the subtle differences in shade, for instance, between the staid white of Angie Dickinson's shoes and the hard-polished two tone of the gentleman's shoes who sits down next to her during the Museum Scene. I've seen this film many times, in many different formats,( in fact, the first time I saw this film was with my ex-wife on our wedding night...don't ask!) but with this Criterion disc, I feel that I've really experienced the enormity and the creative essence of DRESSED TO KILL for the first time. Of course, in the subtle shifts of color, texture and tone, which leads one's eye across the frame, as well as heightening the emotion of a scene, it's almost like Mr. De Palma is siting there next to you, pointing out different elements in the frame and how they interact.. So yeah, I would say that if you have any interest in this film, you need to own this disc .

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I received the first pressing of this from Amazon, e-mailed Criterion re: a replacement and it was in my mailbox exactly a week later. Kudos to Criterion for the quick fix!

Vincent

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Vincent_P said:
I received the first pressing of this from Amazon, e-mailed Criterion re: a replacement and it was in my mailbox exactly a week later. Kudos to Criterion for the quick fix!

Vincent
I ordered it a second time from Amazon and received the second pressing this time.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I ordered it a second time from Amazon and received the second pressing this time.
Wait, so you ordered it twice instead of taking advantage of Criterion's replacement offer?

Vincent

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Vincent_P said:
Wait, so you ordered it twice instead of taking advantage of Criterion's replacement offer?

Vincent
I sent my first Blu-ray back to Amazon. I then ordered it again from Amazon with the intention of exchanging the disc with Criterion, but my second order had the corrected disc so no need to deal with Criterion on this matter.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
I sent my first Blu-ray back to Amazon. I then ordered it again from Amazon with the intention of exchanging the disc with Criterion, but my second order had the corrected disc so no need to deal with Criterion on this matter.
Ah, gottcha!

Call me crazy, but I'm actually kind of happy to have "both" versions now :)

Vincent

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
There are two places that the audio does not match what should be there for the uncut/unrated video version presented. I am saying this based on the version comparison. You'll notice it if you watch that special feature right after the movie when your (my!) memory is fresh, especially since one case happens quite near the end.

[Same thing for the Arrow "B" disc 2.0 mono track, which also has the unrated video. This disc also has lip-sync issues in some locations with it's 5.1 track (only, it's OK with the mono)...so, no "perfect" unrated audio track on the Arrow either.]

nyguy2046

Agent
Real Name
Chris
A little surprised that after all the hullabaloo about this title, no one at HTF (including Mr. Harris) bothered reviewing this. Isn't every Criterion title usually reviewed?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
nyguy2046 said:
A little surprised that after all the hullabaloo about this title, no one at HTF (including Mr. Harris) bothered reviewing this. Isn't every Criterion title usually reviewed?

Neil Middlemiss said:
The HTF review staff did not receive a replacement review copy.

Your question - which you yourself posed several months ago - was already answered. A review copy for the replacement disc was not provided for review purposes.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Finally got around to watching this. I prefer the MGM and Arrow image, but the sound on this new disc is superior to every other release, so it is my preferred version. It is now at the level that I recall from its theatrical release. No other release of the film provides that, not even the mono track on the Arrow disc.

nyguy2046

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Neil Middlemiss said:
Your question - which you yourself posed several months ago - was already answered. A review copy for the replacement disc was not provided for review purposes.

Oops I did not see that. Thanks Neil!

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
6EEF96E3-5EA5-4576-B43A-5D89DE66177C.jpeg

LINK: Dressed to Kill (1980) Finale - 1983 LD over 2015 Criterion Blu

LINK: Dressed to Kill (1980) Finale Video Release Comparison

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks