What's new

WHV Press Release: House of Wax (3D Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bob Furmanek said:
Six rolls of film scanned at 4K and then restored/aligned for flawless 3-D and people still find something to complain about!
People are never completely happy as there is always something that will continue to bug them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, it's up for preorder at Amazon. If people expect more 3-D releases from the 50s then I hope enough of them buy this title to show Warner there is a profitable market for these releases.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
GregK said:
I think the extras will be included with a 2-D version of the feature on one bluray (This is the one ClassicFlix will rent out), while the 3-D version will have its own disc.

attachicon.gif
house-of-wax-blu-ray-ad.jpg
I think it's hilarious that the first of the 4 pics at the bottom is the 'paddle ball' sequence - as if anyone needed reminding.

Robert Crawford said:
People are never completely happy as there is always something that will continue to bug them.
Quite agree. I can understand people looking at a cover and commenting that they like it. But the amount of complaining that goes on - you'd think everyone framed all of the Blu-ray Disc as artwork on their living room walls, rather than standing them sideways up on shelves where it's impossible to see.

And yet strangely enough, it's relatively rare for people to complain about the one thing they will see regularly - the writing on, and design of the spine.

Artwork horrors or otherwise, I'm all over this one. A decent horror film of its time, and an interesting artefact in cinema history with its use of 3-D.

Steve W

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Bob Furmanek said:
Six rolls of film scanned at 4K and then restored/aligned for flawless 3-D and people still find something to complain about!
As great as I'm sure the 3-D experience will be, Mystery of the Wax Museum is the superior film. I wish it got a bit more respect.

edit: oh I think you were directing your comments to cover art complainers, nevermind!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Robert Crawford said:
By the way, it's up for preorder at Amazon.
I'm not finding it there. Do you have a link? Or am I not missing stuff because I'm on a smartphone at the moment?

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well, apparently I can't even edit on this thing. (I was trying to delete the 'not' in that sentence.)Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Theater Forum mobile app

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, those people are a pain.

But, what about the sound?

1.1 mono with surround (thats what WB has for sound tracks)?
Same as old DVD (Chase Dolby Pro Logic)?
5.1?

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I don't preorder anything anymore (no need to really, it's most likely only going to fall in price rather than rise, and it's not a limited edition), but I've added it to my cart, ready to buy it pending an initial review by Mr Furmanek.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Matt Hough said:
Can't get here fast enough for me. It was the first 3D movie from the Golden Age that I was able to see (not during its original release; during the 1980s revival), and it holds a special place in my heart. It's also a very fun movie.
Mine too Matt, but my experience was probably different than yours. I remember that revival well as it played at one of the movie theaters in my home town and I convinced my friends to come see it with me (we were in high school) and the one and only screening was an unmitigated DISASTER! I don't know the specifics of the print they played or how it differed from the other 3D stuff shown there (I had previously seen my first 3D movie COMIN' AT YA! at the same theater and, while a TERRIBLE movie the effects were amazing from where I sat!) but it was constantly out of focus, way too dark and really really headache inducing. To top it off, they were desperately trying to "fix" whatever was wrong while the show was going on so the brightness and focus kept changing erratically. We had an intermission (I can't remember at this late date if it was planned or not) and when we came back in half of the movie was playing on the WALL!! I felt SO sorry for them and could only imagine the poor projectionist sweating and crying up in the booth because it was going so very very wrong. Once the movie was over, Mr Krause, who owned the theater, was waiting for the full house to exit so he could hand out complimentary movie passes and coupons for free popcorn to everyone as they left. Needless to say, the run was cut short right then and there!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
39520_large.jpg

Now available for preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I never understand how these things won't come up in a search on Amazon. This one still doesn't, though there must be some secret way of finding it. Anyhoo, I pre-ordered! :)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
no complaints, pre order complete, but I have to agree that I think personally that Mystery is the better horror film, pre code, that pushed some boundaries. I hope that this does great numbers in the sales department, and that leads to more "Classic" 3D films getting released, Fox has a little "B" film with an "A" list cast that I would like to see get a similar treatment (ahem) Gorilla at Large. :D

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This cover is head and shoulders above most of the dreck we see now. And of course you have to emphasize the 3D. No complaints here.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I just think it's tacky to ...um... tack on 3D to the title when it states it's 3D already on the cover. It's a complaint as much of an observation, a relatively minor one at that. I will be buying it, but I'm in less of a hurry for two reasons:

1) I'm not 3D capable.
2) MYSTERY is the superior movie and deserved to be presented in HD with proper colors -- especially since blu-ray is a HD medium.

I get it that HoW is important for 3D fans and in getting older 3D films out, plus it'll help with the success of home 3D viewing. But I'd prefer them not to include MYSTERY if it's just going to be SD. Focus on HoW, spend the money and time with that, don't waste the space on MYSTERY. Let the Warner Archive do what they were originally planning, restore MYSTERY properly, then release it via their program at $20-30 a shot. This is my sole complaint with this, not the cover.

But what do I know?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bgart13 said:
I just think it's tacky to ...um... tack on 3D to the title when it states it's 3D already on the cover. It's a complaint as much of an observation, a relatively minor one at that. I will be buying it, but I'm in less of a hurry for two reasons:

1) I'm not 3D capable.
2) MYSTERY is the superior movie and deserved to be presented in HD with proper colors -- especially since blu-ray is a HD medium.

I get it that HoW is important for 3D fans and in getting older 3D films out, plus it'll help with the success of home 3D viewing. But I'd prefer them not to include MYSTERY if it's just going to be SD. Focus on HoW, spend the money and time with that, don't waste the space on MYSTERY. Let the Warner Archive do what they were originally planning, restore MYSTERY properly, then release it via their program at $20-30 a shot. This is my sole complaint with this, not the cover.

But what do I know?
At the very least they should do a new encode using AVC so that we can upscale to the best possible quality, if they just recycle an old MPEG2 encode then it will likely look pretty poor, i wish we were getting it in HD too, it's a good film and deserves the HD treatment.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Let the Warner Archive do what they were originally planning, restore MYSTERY properly, then release it via their program at $20-30 a shot.

I buy that in a second!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks