What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Disney brings the Robert Zemeckis classic Who Framed Roger Rabbit to UHD Blu-ray that is a nice improvement over the previous 25th Anniversary Blu-ray release.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)

Released: 22 Jun 1988
Rated: PG
Runtime: 104 min

Director: Robert Zemeckis
Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy

Cast: Bob Hoskins, Christopher Lloyd, Joanna Cassidy
Writer(s): Gary K. Wolf, Jeffrey Price, Peter S. Seaman

Plot: A toon-hating detective is a cartoon rabbit's only hope to prove his innocence when he is accused of murder.

IMDB rating: 7.7
MetaScore: 83

Disc Information

Studio: Disney
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Todd! I know it's been decades, but since you screened a number of 70mm prints, I was wondering if you might be able to answer a question I've had for a while.

Something I've noticed about the 5.1 tracks on previous DVD and Blu-ray releases of this movie is that the surrounds seemed out of sync with the other channels, particularly in the 2nd half of the movie. This created an unnatural sounding "echo" effect in the music during some scenes (especially during Eddie's drive towards Toontown and most of the climax in the Gag Factory).

I always figured this was a leftover aspect of the 70mm mix, since (I think) the surround channel on 1980s six-track mixes was sometimes delayed slightly to accommodate larger auditoriums, but this seemed a little excessive. It was as if at some point during the digitization of the audio, the surround channels were accidentally thrown more out of sync than they should have been.

At any rate, the new Atmos seems to have finally corrected this, but do you happen to remember if the 70mm mix had the surround channel delayed that much?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks for the review, Todd! I know it's been decades, but since you screened a number of 70mm prints, I was wondering if you might be able to answer a question I've had for a while.

Something I've noticed about the 5.1 tracks on previous DVD and Blu-ray releases of this movie is that the surrounds seemed out of sync with the other channels, particularly in the 2nd half of the movie. This created an unnatural sounding "echo" effect in the music during some scenes (especially during Eddie's drive towards Toontown and most of the climax in the Gag Factory).

I always figured this was a leftover aspect of the 70mm mix, since (I think) the surround channel on 1980s six-track mixes was sometimes delayed slightly to accommodate larger auditoriums, but this seemed a little excessive. It was as if at some point during the digitization of the audio, the surround channels were accidentally thrown more out of sync than they should have been.

At any rate, the new Atmos seems to have finally corrected this, but do you happen to remember if the 70mm mix had the surround channel delayed that much?
Sorry, that was ages ago.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
There may be some issue with the production so something more than the usual Disney/Amazon issues.

One of the main BBY employees who updates inventory over on Bluray.com says his store (and those he can check with the internal inventory) got no supplies of their Steelbook
I'm not seeing anything listed for Walmart B&M yet, but I'm hoping this one shows up there. $16 for a same day pickup would be a great Day 1 purchase

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It looks like it's available at DMC - I believe the price is after a full price purchase for VIP members

1638861219704.png

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
No UHD disc product links, just a link to streaming Prime video?

There may be some issue with the production so something more than the usual Disney/Amazon issues.

One of the main BBY employees who updates inventory over on Bluray.com says his store (and those he can check with the internal inventory) got no supplies of their Steelbook
I'm not seeing anything listed for Walmart B&M yet, but I'm hoping this one shows up there. $16 for a same day pickup would be a great Day 1 purchase
I removed the Prime Video link. Still not available to purchase domestically on disc from Amazon, just like every other Disney release.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
My gripe is that the steel book is rather bland looking considering it could have looked amazing. The yellow is very subdued as are all the colors actually.
Having said above the movie itself looks incredible and I would give it a 5- it’s never looked better.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
My review indicates the text commentary from the DVD is on the 25th anniversary Blu-ray.

Was I drunk again when I wrote it and screwed up my cut/paste? Or is it there?

I'm too lazy to search through my collection and find the old BD! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks