What's new

Blu-ray Review Who Framed Roger Rabbit Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I watched the Blu-ray last night. It was the first time I'd seen the movie in ten years, literally since the 2003 DVD. The DVD already looked good - the Blu-ray looks better, of course. I don't have any issues with missing frames of satire from the animators. That's not something that the movie hinged around in any case. The movie is built on gags like the old "Shave and a Haircut" bit, and just the pure fun of seeing Daffy and Donald Duck in a piano battle. I wish the movie had aged better. Watching it in HD, I was reminded of my reaction in 1988, and I realized that the movie isn't quite as wonderful as my memory would tell me. It's still good, but a lot more of the seams show now. The higher level of detail reveals many more of the flaws than I remember seeing back in 1988. I remember a complimentary review of the movie by I think John Powers in the LA Weekly in '88. He titled the review "Chinatoon", and that label is appropriate. He also pegged the origin of "Maroon Cartoons" name - the Bugs Bunny quote "What a Maroon". All that said, it took this viewing for me to finally get the joke about why Jessica married Roger. It's subtle but it's there. And it's wrong, but really funny.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Jessica Rabbit isn't a rabbit I suppose, she's just a cartoon human?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Kevin EK said:
All that said, it took this viewing for me to finally get the joke about why Jessica married Roger.  It's subtle but it's there.  And it's wrong, but really funny.
Whatever do you mean? She said she married him because he makes her laugh. Was there more to it, you think? :D

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
ahollis said:
Thought it was a flash of her boobs? And I would think they have been removed. Damn nothing like looking at 90 something year old boobs frame by frame :). I have no problem with the changes for they were never supposed to be seen in the first place. They were inside jokes between the animators and their removal does not change the story or entertainment in any form
The boobs are present in one HDTV version floating around. I'd post a screencap, but I don't want to offend anyone. :D I've actually seen much worse sight gags hidden in 90's cartoons that aired on weekday afternoons.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Weird...I just got this email from Amazon:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,
We're writing about your pre-order of or interest in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit: 25th Anniversary Edition"
Unfortunately, due to a manufacturing issue, the shipment of this item will be delayed. We are working hard to deliver this item as quickly as we can.
What manufacturing issue?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I got the same email. I just assumed that the demand for this title was greater than expected.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez
Weird...I just got this email from Amazon:
What manufacturing issue?
Me three. Everything else from tomorrow's pre-orders have already shipped, so it's not like I'll be hard up for something to watch tomorrow night. I highly doubt they're changing anything; just a short printing run for some reason.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
My own personal speculation (and that's all it is), a lot of people pre-ordered back in December. However, just last week they discovered it wasn't the version they wanted (DVD packaging vs BluRay packaging), and they reordered, creating a last minute demand David

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I had changed my order last week to get the blu-ray packaging (which also cost less) and last night I got an email from Amazon saying a manufacturing issue will delay shipment. Anyone else getting this?

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Dan_Shane said:
Bingo. Not a single plot-point is hurt by this sort of editing.  Those scenes were in-jokes, meant perhaps to never be noticed let alone pointed out to the masses. The real problem is when we start labeling the removal of hidden gags that were never formally approved as "censorship," thereby muddying the waters of the subject of real censorship.  Poor old SONG OF THE SOUTH languishes in the vault because there is no way Disney can trim out every single black character who might be perceived as a stereotype, including the Tar-Baby in one of the cartoon segments.  That is the sort of censorship I have a hard time accepting. And how about Pecos Bill rolling up a cigarette in MAKE MINE MUSIC?  That is a whole scene gone from an animated film that never once made me long to try smoking.  I figured it was just what cowboys did back then, and my folks and I knew the difference between what I saw on the screen and the kind of activity I should imitate. Disney and other studios can paint in all the undies and scrub all the phone numbers off the walls they want if they would just give me the movies I loved as a kid.
Back in the early 80's "The Baltimore Sun" had a full page ad for the City Fair ,showing all the fun you can have. Including a couple doing it doggie style and much more!!! The ad agency fired the artist.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I have Prime, I pre-ordered it a few days ago in BLU packaging, it hasn't been reported shipped, and I also haven't gotten any email regarding delays.
But I just checked back to the original email confirmation and it says Delivery estimate March 14th...... so maybe that IS the delay? Shouldn't I normally get this tomorrow?
For whatever all that's worth!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chas in CT said:
I have Prime, I pre-ordered it a few days ago in BLU packaging, it hasn't been reported shipped, and I also haven't gotten any email regarding delays. But I just checked back to the original email confirmation and it says Delivery estimate March 14th...... so maybe that IS the delay?  Shouldn't I normally get this tomorrow? For whatever all that's worth!     
I had forgotten to mention this. WhenI ordered mine last week, the very first delivery date they put on it was the 14th, which is 2 days after release date. I keep meaning to contact Amazon about it, but never did.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd prefer they left the gags in, they're little eater eggs that are fun for the fans. It's not a deal breaker they are removed. It's not like we can't look them up on an "Internet" or something. :P I wonder if the box stores will get this? I was going to grab it tomorrow night on the way home.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Has anyone received an email from Amazon worded like this Dear Amazon.com Customer, We're writing about your pre-order of or interest in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit: 25th Anniversary Edition" Unfortunately, due to a manufacturing issue, the shipment of this item will be delayed. We are working hard to deliver this item as quickly as we can. I will cancel it and go to Walmart if I must or Best Buy

Ken LB

Supporter
Real Name
Ken
I placed my order 12/15 (Prime) and my copy has been shipped and is due tomorrow. Must be a short supply issue.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I placed mine in December at the same time. I know others received this email but I have never received this from Amazon before. I just canceled since Best Buy lists it at the same price.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Is there a contest for how many times the same question can be posted in one thread or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks