What's new

Blu-ray Review Who Framed Roger Rabbit Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
They probably pulled the wrong tape master for the DVD disc and QC was asleep at the wheel.With the large batch of movies Disney has put out in the last two weeks, it was bound to happen. I'm just surprised it didn't happen last year with their first "wave." As far as I recall, last fall's crop didn't have any quality control issues.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Kevin EK said:
All that said, it took this viewing for me to finally get the joke about why Jessica married Roger. It's subtle but it's there. And it's wrong, but really funny.
Kevin what was it you mean, all I hear is her say he makes me laugh?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh and also this little Betty Boop image. [SPOILER spoiler=Warning: Spoiler!]
BettyBoobs_zps3d0aea7d.jpg

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I checked out mY CAV LD Catalog 940CS and I went frame by frame for that shot and the flash isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
Oh and also this little Betty Boop image.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TonyD said:
Kevin what was it you mean, all I hear is her say he makes me laugh?
Yeah, me too. That's all I've ever heard her say and since that was Roger's main goal in life (to make people laugh) it's quit appropriate.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
Yeah, me too. That's all I've ever heard her say and since that was Roger's main goal in life (to make people laugh) it's quit appropriate.
Yes, please enlighten. I think I vaguely remember some dialogue after the "He makes me laugh" line, but can't remember what it is off the top of my head

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I did a store pick up at Best Buy after concerns about stock levels. When I got there, there was only one in the new release rack. Pick up took awhile, but only because I was standing in the wrong line. They switched sides on me!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I watched the movie yesterday and thought it looked great but did not have time for the bonus features. I also see Amazon has a 9 to 12 day shipping posted right in front of the movie before you look at the copy. They must want a fixed product as spoke of here yesterday and this is the time frame they expect to get those copies. I just hope the movie does not have problems in the long run. I bought mine at BB and they I am sure would stand by it. The recalls on other movies they have replaced for me such as Private Ryan.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I checked out my edition of the CAV Laserdisc which according to the LaserDisc database my catalog # 940 CS original pressing should contain the uncensored animation.
This is from laserdisc database
The initial release of this "940 CS" reference number had a different cover than the photo in this listing. The original release had a light-blue triangle on the top right of the front cover that says "STEREO CAV LASER VIDEODISC".
So if that Betty Boop shot made a release I can't imagine which release I did frame by frame on my LD and she is fully clothed. Was that Boop shot shown in cinemas only?
Also imdb.com mentions a Jessica Rabbit shot during her dance number, but I can't spot anything there.
Not sure of other things. I haven't checked the Baby Herman "middle finger" skirt shot since last time I looked at it and others agree it really looked just like a finger not a middle one.
Originally Posted by TonyD
Oh and also this little Betty Boop image.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I emailed the address on the sticker and got a response right away. They are sending me a mailer to exchange the DVD.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The joke about why Jessica married Roger is a sly one. It's an adult joke hidden inside the innocent idea of "He makes me laugh". I'll try not to be vulgar. Roger Rabbit is a bunny. Bunnies are known for their, shall we say, tendency to multiply? Given all the other sly bits in the movie, this was another one designed to get an unknowing laugh from the kids and a groan from their parents.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Maybe, but I think that's a huge reach, they're toons and Roger always try's to do whatever he can to make them all laugh.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
New email update from Amazon:
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit: 25th Anniversary Edition (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)" New Delivery Estimate: March 26, 2013 - March 27, 2013

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chas in CT said:
New email update from Amazon: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit: 25th Anniversary Edition (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)"     New Delivery Estimate: March 26, 2013 - March 27, 2013
Same here.
TonyD said:
Maybe, but I think that's a huge reach, they're toons and Roger always try's to do whatever he can to make them all laugh.
I agree with you. I don't think there's a hidden meaning there.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
New email update from Amazon:
"Who Framed Roger Rabbit: 25th Anniversary Edition (Two-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging)" New Delivery Estimate: March 26, 2013 - March 27, 2013
Me three. :)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Me as well. When it was said in this thread there was a hidden meaning, Rabbit's tendencies to multiply immediately came to mind. As more of a stretch, I thought about a certain "personal massage device" that goes by the "Rabbit" moniker. But, of course, that would almost certainly be an anachronism given the time period of the film. Anyway, there was nothing about the "He makes me laugh" line that, to me, seemed to have any subtext. But, I think there was a line later in the film (and I could be completely mis-recalling) where Valiant says something to Jessica like "He really does it for you, Huh" and she replies something like "You better believe it!"

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Here's the line in question:
Jessica Rabbit: From the looks of it I'd say it was Roger. My honey bunny was never very good behind the wheel.
Eddie Valiant: Better lover than a driver, huh? Jessica Rabbit: You'd better believe it, buster.
So there's your rabbit "sexual reference", but it doesn't change the fact that "He makes me laugh" doesn't have any hidden subtext.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm pretty sure that in the old victorian days that "laugh" was slang for a woman's orgasm. I think it's an accidental double entendre in this case though.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I always interpreted the "he makes me laugh" as an ironic joke because we have this hypersexualized animated character saying that all she cares about is being with someone who is funny.
Consequently, there's a similar, but less obvious, ironic joke being made about Roger. Yes, he's a rabbit, but his attractive quality is not his virility but his ability to make people laugh.
This would be consistent with how toons are repeatedly shown to be different from humans, from how they respond to alcohol to how they die. As it turns out, toons also respond differently when it comes to love.
If we want to get all grad school on the topic, I think there's a lot of material here for a paper on objectification and anthropomorphization, but I'm not that motivated.
The joke about why Jessica married Roger is a sly one. It's an adult joke hidden inside the innocent idea of "He makes me laugh". I'll try not to be vulgar. Roger Rabbit is a bunny. Bunnies are known for their, shall we say, tendency to multiply? Given all the other sly bits in the movie, this was another one designed to get an unknowing laugh from the kids and a groan from their parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks