What's new

Who do you feel are the greatest, best, your favorite directors WORKING today? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Of possible interest:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I love Ridley Scott films too but truth be told he is somewhat inconsistent Imo. For every great film there is a mediocre one.
And his latest is a really good one: House of Gucci. Ditto for the first two episodes of his show on HBO Max - RAISED BY WOLVES. Pure Ridley Scott sci-fi DNA throughout...

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I love Ridley Scott films too but truth be told he is somewhat inconsistent Imo. For every great film there is a mediocre one.

He's made a lot of pictures, which leaves a longer track record to criticize. Also, he has made several different kinds of pictures, rather than keeping everything in the same sort of vein. This generally means people will like some of his films and not like others simply due to the subject matter.

Spielberg is basically in the same boat as he is always shifting around doing different kinds of pictures which can leave you lukewarm on one and loving another. I don't know if you get crossover from his dinosaur films to musicals, to spy thrillers, to war films. Some people love the director and follow it all, I think most others will pick and choose.

Also Scott and Spielberg have been making films in several decades and so the style and technology change over time and cause their style to shift over the decades.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I stopped in at a (relatively) local Bull Moose store yesterday and picked up Blu-rays of Enemy and Prisoners. Looking forward to watching them.

I loved Enemy. It is an oddball film that you have read between the lines on but I like that kind of thing and not knowing what might come next. Prisoners is also very good and an intense ride.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Not sure if he could be considered a "great director" overall but when he makes Westerns, I think he is pretty great at that. Kevin Costner is returning to the director's chair to make an "epic" Western he has wanted to make for some time.

Honestly, I am very excited about this. The picture is called Horizon and here is a bit about it:

"'Horizon tells' the story of that journey in an honest and forthcoming way, highlighting the points of view and consequences of the characters' life and death decisions."

The flick will tell the history of “how America’s expansion into the west was one that was fraught with peril and intrigue from the natural elements, to the interactions with the indigenous peoples who lived on the land, and the determination and at many times ruthlessness of those who sought to settle it."

Casting for the project will start next month, with production penciled in for August in Utah.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks