What's new

Who do you feel are the greatest, best, your favorite directors WORKING today? (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Can I add Barry Jenkins to this list of important filmmakers? Moonlight was powerful and exquisitely beautiful. He is a director who knows his light and how to make subtle emotions visible. I think he is a poet of the highest order.
PS - The Coens, Wes Anderson, Tarantino, Scorsese, PT Anderson, Safdie Brothers

Do you see something that all the directors you mention have in common?

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Do you see something that all the directors you mention have in common?
They all have distinct and elevated visual styles and creative visions. Their films are almost immediately identifiable as their own. There is authorship and a point of view. They take chances with style and with subject matter. They work outside the traditional Hollywood blockbuster system.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
They all have distinct and elevated visual styles and creative visions. Their films are almost immediately identifiable as their own. There is authorship and a point of view. They take chances with style and with subject matter. They work outside the traditional Hollywood blockbuster system.

I would add that all of them place a very heavy emphasis on characters and character building. When you watch their pictures you walk away feeling like you met and know the people in them.

I think this generally says something about us as moviegoers. The way we select favorites is often very related to how the characters are presented to us. While all those guys have distinct quirks and visual styles they all definitely want you to feel you know their characters...whether they are good guys or bad they open a door to them for us to step through to put us in their world and make us understand them.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
He's only made one picture but what a debut it was. I certainly want to see whatever Boots Riley does next. Part comedy, social satire, and science fiction, Sorry to Bother You was a knockout first film.

Boots.jpg

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I would add that all of them place a very heavy emphasis on characters and character building. When you watch their pictures you walk away feeling like you met and know the people in them.

I think this generally says something about us as moviegoers. The way we select favorites is often very related to how the characters are presented to us. While all those guys have distinct quirks and visual styles they all definitely want you to feel you know their characters...whether they are good guys or bad they open a door to them for us to step through to put us in their world and make us understand them.
absolutely agree about characters. Also a great knack for casting and tweaking/experimentation with narrative structure. Sound design is also very original.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
absolutely agree about characters. Also a great knack for casting and tweaking/experimentation with narrative structure. Sound design is also very original.
One other observation: rarely, in most of these great director's films, do any of the big dramatic moments or climaxes fall flat. The set up dramatic situations perfectly. They pay them off with electricity, style and emotion. By the way, I seriously liked Sorry to Bother You. A great mash up of styles - a little Get Out, a little Island of Lost Souls, Twlight Zone, with a very relevant profound message.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Joel & Ethan Coen
Mel Gibson
Edgar Wright
Quentin Tarantino
Tom Tykwer
Nicolas Winding Refn
Sam Raimi
S. Craig Zahler (Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99, Dragged Across Concrete)

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Sean Baker (The Florida Project, Tangerine, Prince of Broadway)
Xavier Dolan (Mommy, Laurence Anyways, Matthias & Maxime)
Asghar Farhadi (The Salesman, About Elly, A Separation)
Pedro Almodovar (Law of Desire, Bad Education, Pain and Glory)
Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Kingdom of Heaven, Matchstick Men)
and I'm still hoping for another masterpiece from Terrence Malick, whose already given us several
(Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, The Tree of Life).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Right now, at this specific moment in time, the director I'm most excited about is Denis Villeneuve. In 20 years I expect he will be held in the same regard as the ones above.

I got excited about Villeneuve from the one-two punch of Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. He was the reason I was so excited about Dune. Sicario hadn't looked like my kind of film, so I didn't see it until after Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. I still need to catch up with his earlier work.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got excited about Villeneuve from the one-two punch of Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. He was the reason I was so excited about Dune. Sicario hadn't looked like my kind of film, so I didn't see it until after Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. I still need to catch up with his earlier work.
Sicario and Prisoners are both excellent. Enemy is very weird and not for everyone. I haven't seen any of his French language movies.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sicario and Prisoners are both excellent. Enemy is very weird and not for everyone. I haven't seen any of his French language movies.

I really liked Prisoners although it seems it wasn’t as widely seen as it could have been - the director’s slow burn, longer length tendencies are well in effect there but if you have the time I think it pays off.

Because of his skill with long films, I’d really like to see him try his hand on a limited series for a premium outlet, the kind of thing with a single director for all of the episodes that runs about 8 hours. I think he’d excel with that form. I almost think his Dune would have been better in that format than separate films spaced years apart.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I really liked Prisoners although it seems it wasn’t as widely seen as it could have been - the director’s slow burn, longer length tendencies are well in effect there but if you have the time I think it pays off.

Because of his skill with long films, I’d really like to see him try his hand on a limited series for a premium outlet, the kind of thing with a single director for all of the episodes that runs about 8 hours. I think he’d excel with that form. I almost think his Dune would have been better in that format than separate films spaced years apart.
Anyone who liked Zodiac would probably like Prisoners. Ironically Jake G is in both films.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Polytechnique is another excellent film about a difficult matter: a mass shooting in Montreal, 1989. The targeted victims were women.
Incendies is a masterpiece that was justly nominated for an Academy Award. It also won many international awards. This was the film that made me look forward to his future work. I haven't been disappointed.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Ridley Scott hands down one of the best. His films always have that grandness, the worlds he creates, and characters as well. This is but a fraction of his amazing accomplishments:

Alien
Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Blade Runner
The Martian
Thelma & Louise
Legend
Gladiator
The Counselor
Black Rain

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
Wes Anderson would be my choice for best working director.

Godard would be a contender, but although he’s still alive he’s 91 so probably not likely to make another film. I also highly rate Richard Linklater, Edgar Wright, Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino. And as a teenage Cinema du Look fan, I also have soft spots for Leos Carax and Luc Besson.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ridley Scott hands down one of the best. His films always have that grandness, the worlds he creates, and characters as well. This is but a fraction of his amazing accomplishments:

Alien
Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Blade Runner
The Martian
Thelma & Louise
Legend
Gladiator
The Counselor
Black Rain
One of Ridley’s better films is one that isn’t epic, and doesn’t have a large feel to it-
Matchstick Men. Highly recommend it, if you haven’t seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks