What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Virgoan said:
The laserdisc of "Oklahoma!" featured a transfer of the Todd-AO version and it was superb! The DVD release with both 'Scope and Todd-AO versions was an unmitigated DISASTER!
Right! The LD is my current copy of "Oklahoma!" and it is great, especially the sound.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
rsmithjr said:
Right! The LD is my current copy of "Oklahoma!" and it is great, especially the sound.
Same here, and now I absolutely must watch a few scenes (for the first time in at least several years) before seeing the Blu-ray on the 29th!

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
This post is pertinent to this thread only because of Shirley Jones, but for those who are fans of Shirley's you will want to know that a long-lost album has finally been released on CD - an album that never even made it to LP, even though the cover art was created. Apparently, no one at Sony now knows why it wasn't released in 1959. Shirley and Jack recorded four studio albums together. Three of those four, Brigadoon, Speaking of Love and With Love from Hollywood were released on LP by Columbia records in the late 1950s and then on CD in the 2000s. But a fourth studio album - recorded in 1959 for RCA - never made it to LP, although the cover art has been tantalizingly floating around for some years. It is called "Marriage Type Love" and has marvelous sassy, jazzy orchestrations by Marty Gold and a very wide stereo soundstage (which I love). Shirley and Jack are in fine voice. I am so excited to finally have this. I can't believe it, actually; some dreams do come true. Shirley and Jack often used the theme of marriage in their shows together. The CD (or download) is currently available exclusively on masterworksbroadway.com but I believe will be available on amazon near the end of May.
Marriage Type Love.JPG

SJ_temp.JPG

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I was also fortunate enough to be at the screening. I'd never seen the film before, and to see it newly restored (and looking incredible!) at the Chinese, with a discussion with Shirley Jones before the showing, was a wonderful experience. I had no idea that our very own Mr. Harris was in the audience. I was astonished when I turned around to see the legendary Kim Novak seated behind me!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Shirley Jones told an odd anecdote at the TCM Gala about the alleged "real" reason Frank Sinatra walked off Carousel when he discovered they were filming two versions of the film. She claimed to have been told many years later that Sinatra had been warned that Ava Gardner was close to starting an affair with Clark Gable while they were making Mogambo and that Frank should get his ass to the set a.s.a.p. Robert Osbourne was too much of a gentleman to point out to her that Mogambo predates Carousel by three years.

My Brush With Greatness occurred the following night at the 40th anniversary screening of Blazing Saddles. After his Q & A with Robert Osbourne, the lights dimmed as the film began and his handlers deposited Mel Brooks three seats away from me in our row. If that wasn't enough of a memory, the audience tore the roof off the Chinese during the climax of the film, for obvious reasons...

MarkW2

Agent
Real Name
Mark White
There are a few Rodgers and Hammerstein titles that have yet to be released at all. The original london production of South Pacific (with Mary Martin) was filmed for the R+H archives. Carousel was a made for t.v. movie in the 60s. Both of these have been floating around collectors for years. The general foods R+H special is out there. There is even a recent Australian South Pacific that was filmed for dvd over a year ago now.
Any others to add to the list? Where are these titles?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Ya know, that press release was so shoddy, I'm going to keep (positive) thinking that Amazon has the right release date. :biggrin:
Just ten days away...

...from what is still listed as the release date on Amazon! :biggrin:

MarkW2

Agent
Real Name
Mark White
So if you did not "blind buy" this at $73 on Amazon...you are out of luck? I wanted to know what it was first.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Talking about Todd-AO what happened to this epic of the silver screen?:

Billy Graham in 70mm Todd-AOBILLY GRAHAM'S Pavilion is a showcase for the noted evangelist's 70mm Todd-AO motion picture, Man in the 5th Dimension, showing daily "on the hour."Rev. Graham's prologue notes: "You are about to embark on a breathtaking journey through the four-dimensional world of space and time, into the realm of the fifth dimension, the dimension of the spirit . . - "Scenes taken at Mount Palomar show our own galaxy and the galactic systems millions of light years away. The story of creation is told in the setting of the Earth's "oldest living things," the giant redwoods of California. Billy Graham demonstrates the continuity of Christian witness down through ancient and modern times to the present day.An imported 70mm projection system is used to beam Todd-AO images to a wrap-around screen.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
So if you did not "blind buy" this at $73 on Amazon...you are out of luck? I wanted to know what it was first.
A good rule of thumb is, if you see a pre-order at Amazon for a really great price, jump on it. Amazon doesn't charge your card until the item is shipped so you can always cancel before that time should you change your mind.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Brian Kidd said:
A good rule of thumb is, if you see a pre-order at Amazon for a really great price, jump on it. Amazon doesn't charge your card until the item is shipped so you can always cancel before that time should you change your mind.
Yep! With Amazon, it's a far far better idea to pre-order and later cancel (if you feel you have to) than to play the "wait and see" game. When it comes to CATALOG releases, Amazon pricing usually goes like this:

1) The day the title first available for pre-order is frequently the day it is the cheapest between first pre-order date and release date.

2) At some point between first pre-order and release date, the price will go up (sometimes by a LOT).

3) On release date, the price will almost always be higher than the first pre-order price. Sometimes the release date price will be a little lower than the highest price during the pre-order period, but the release date price will rarely be less than the first pre-order price.

4) After the title has been available for awhile, the price will likely drop below the release date price and, sometimes, even drop below the first pre-order date price.

Amazon's pricing game is very different for NEW releases. For CATALOG titles, the above is pretty much how it goes. Sure, there are exceptions, but not many.

Mark

MarkW2

Agent
Real Name
Mark White
Thanks so much Mark. I will be more careful in the future. This is the one release I have been waiting for. Looks like I won't be seeing these right as they come out. I'm sure other fans are disappointed too.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MatthewRu said:
Have the Samuel Goldwyn titles from the 1980s re-release of Oklahoma! been removed?
They were off the Blu-ray of South Pacific so I hope they are off Oklahoma.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
MarkW2 said:
There are a few Rodgers and Hammerstein titles that have yet to be released at all. The original london production of South Pacific (with Mary Martin) was filmed for the R+H archives. Carousel was a made for t.v. movie in the 60s. Both of these have been floating around collectors for years. The general foods R+H special is out there. There is even a recent Australian South Pacific that was filmed for dvd over a year ago now.
Any others to add to the list? Where are these titles?
As for the "Australian" version of South Pacific, hopefully at the bottom of the South Pacific!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
john a hunter said:
As for the "Australian" version of South Pacific, hopefully at the bottom of the South Pacific!
Are you talking about the recent Australian stage revival with Lisa McCune (which was filmed), or the TV remake with Glenn Close?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattbuffalo
Recent bookmarks