What's new

Which shows have you abandoned? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I agree with Homicide but the Jump off point for me was when Andre Braugher Left in Season 6. But you're right even weaker Season 7 was better than most shows, and Season 6 had that great Subway episode.

John*P

Second Unit
Alf: I bought Season 1 knowing full well that it was edited, as this was my favorite childhood sitcom and hadn't seen it regularly in years. Big mistake. The chopped up episodes, which were edited for syndication AND music, really bummed me out more than I thought they would. (at least one entire scene, along with portions of others were removed because of music issues!) This is not the same show I watched as a kid on NBC. I don't know why the hell Lions Gate licensed this series in the first place...they obviously don't care about the show, or its fans. I am NOT buying seasons 2-4 edited. Lions Gate are remastering Moonlighting and keeping its original music intact, which is great, but they're not doing squat for Alf. As an Alf fan, I am truly insulted by this nonsense...(rant over) BTW, for any 80s kids who want some sitcom nostalgia on DVD, I recommend the nice Punky Brewster sets from Shout! Factory.

Married with Children: Season 4, if released, will probably be the last one I buy. Some of the later seasons aren't as funny as I remember them being. The first two years had a good deal of wit and charm, and many episodes were cleverly written. I noticed with Season 3, however, that the humor was dumbed down a great deal, and that trend only progresses as the series goes on. (and the CONSTANT jokes about Al & Peg's sex life, or lack thereof, get old fast. Also, the family is poor and they never eat. And Al always misses the toilet bowl...expect about 10 jokes per episode about those subjects) I'll probably just finish up the Steve Rhodes years, and that'll be it. (seasons 1-4)

The Simpsons: I've pretty much lost interest in this show nowadays. I can't even sit through 10 minutes of a new episode without getting bored and changing the channel. I've seen the old episodes countless times already and aren't really interested in the DVDs anymore. IMO, Family Guy is funnier than The Simpsons ever was. South Park is great as well.

Upright Citizens Brigade: If Comedy Central ever releases seasons 2 & 3, i'm not buying them. I bought this show blind because I enjoy (good) sketch comedy and Amy Poehler. Well, UCB just isn't my cup of tea...

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
None of these shows have I ever watched on broadcast TV with the exception of Seinfeld. The rest, I bought to view for the first time on DVD.

The West Wing: Season 1 was enjoyable, but it didn't grab my interest enough to want to see any more.

Oz: I absolutely loved S1. But S2 for the most part was just dumb. End of story for me.

Seinfeld: S1/S2 has great historial value, some of it was brilliant. But episodic sitcoms really don't do it for me.

Larry Sanders Show: S1 was brilliant, but see my comment on Seinfeld. A moot point, but I wouldn't have gotten S2 even had it been released.

The Sopranos: Loved S1-S3, was obsessed with this show. But got tired of paying the premium price, and it was starting to play itself out for me, probably because I discovered Buffy shortly after I saw S3. Was planning not to buy S4 but won it as a freeby in a contest. I have no desire for S5.

Alias: Loved S1, really liked S2, thought S3 was pretty good. I'm not especially looking forward to S4. This series seems to have played out with me. Not nearly the powerhouse that Buffy was, and that seems to be my standard now. I might change my mind once S4 is released.

La Femme Nikita: Loved S1, which I picked up for very cheap through Columbia House. Would love to see S2, but I don't want to pay the premium price for it. I may pick it up eventually if I find a good bargain somewhere.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Have them all. Became an obsession immediately after I watched S2. It did lose a bit of steam in the last two seasons, but I was so far into it by then I couldn't not get them.

Angel: Have them all. And damn, after seeing the sensational S5, I'm heartbroken that there's not going to be more.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Little House on the Prairie. I bought the first three seasons, but the quality is somewhat lacking, and there are quite a few edits.

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a completist and also not that picky about music or cut scenes if I can't remember the original broadcast (which I usually can't or never saw in the first place).

The only show that I can think of that I have definitely decided not to buy any more of is

The Sopranos... It was interesting at first but when I ended up borrowing S3 from the library to save the cash crunch... I found that I didn't even want to finish watching it.

oohh just remembered Xfiles... I quit after 4 seasons. It was just way too high priced. I know Fox lowered the price but it's still high plus I was never quite the Xfiles fan.

There are some shows that I've quit buying for now because money's tight:
Friends (have up to s7 or s8, watched up to S5)
Simpsons (have up to S4 but haven't watched any but S1)
South Park (have up to S2 or S3 but was kinda left cold when watching... I blame it on not being in the right mood but haven't yet found myself in the right mood to continue)
Angel (have S1 & S2 but haven't watched them... am saving for when i get a jones for watching the show then I'll come up with bucks to buy S3-S5)

I am current or try to stay current with the following:
MASH (have up to S6, just need the $$ to get S7)
all CSI and all Law & Order... I don't buy usually on day and date but I do get as soon as possible... to date I do own every released season.
Queer As Folk (own up through S3... need to get S4... am pissed about S3 & S4 being half as long as the first two seasons but the same price but not enough to boycott)
Will & Grace + Smallville, own all released seasons.
Alias & 24 - own all released seasons.

I think I only own one multi season finished show in entirety... Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
are some of the best of the series. i'd once you see season 5, you'd agree on why both Drea de Mateo and Michael Imperioli both won emmys.

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't really "abandoned" any of the seasons that I have started buying. I have slowed down purchasing - when the set is released, it's not necessarily a priority purchase. I't a "when I have the extra cash, I'll get it."
The only one still on the priority list is Stargate.
The "if it's on sale, buy it now, fill in the missing seasons later" is M*A*S*H (have 5 of 7 seasons), Buffy (have 1-3, will complete it later), Earth Final Conflict (have 3-5 with no idea when 1 & 2 will even be released but hoping), Forever Knight (have 1 and waiting for the extra $$ to pick up 2), Starsky & Hutch (have 1 & 2, will pick up 3 likely in April). Black Adder is usually an impulse buy until I get all of them.
Have complete sets of Angel: the Series, Jeremy Brett's Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Return of Sherlock Holmes, Casebook of Sherlock Holmes and the movies.
And there are about three other series that I'm still thinking about whether I want to start them or not. Since money is tight, I like to finish a series before I start another especially the longer ones like MASH or Buffy since it's a longer committment of cash. But I'm also obsessive about complete collections.
And of course, there's the dozen or so series that I really wish would be released. :wink:

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
There are several sets that seemed like a good idea

Lost in Space- I got season 1 when it came out and still have over half to watch-will not be buying anymore

A-Team- I got season 1 and found out it was not as good as I remember

Charles Angels Bought season 1 + 2 . Got bored with it in the middle of season 2

Silk Stalkings- bought season 1 and will not be buying anymore

Star Trek: Enterprise- I was going to get it but with the outrageous price I may only get season 4 (used) I do have all the episodes on tape

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

It WAS fine. But a lot of seasons of a lot of shows are fine. It was quite a dropoff from the excellence that came before, though, and it just seemed to be lacking in inspiration. And at $60 or so for a 13-episode season, you expect more than just fine.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I've *never* abandoned a series on DVD ...

However, there are many series that I just want a few seasons of.

For example: The Simpsons. I have seasons 2-5; and that's all I want.

M*A*S*H - Seasons 1-6 is all I want.

And there are a few others like that as well. Now, would you call that "abandoning"? I don't think so ... I've got what I want of these series and I certainly don't intend to dispose of them.

I've purchased all of the Star Trek series seasons so far (although I picked up all of Voyager and two seasons of TNG used); but I'm passing on Enterprise (unless I find it used for less that $50/season); so perhaps it could be stated that I'm "abandoning" Star Trek at this point!?

John McM

Second Unit

I agree with this totally. I loved season 1, and season 2 had some okay episodes, but around 10 episodes into s2, I was bored with it and haven't watched since, it's been shelved for about 8 months and I have yet to come back to it

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I've decided to abandon Law And Order after the first two seasons. The thought of waiting several more years for Universal to get around to releasing another dozen seasons (and counting) is just too much, and anyway I prefer shows that explore the personal lives of the characters more in continung story arcs rather than just consisting of distinct self-contained episodes.

I may also abandon Six Feet Under - I found Season 4 quite tedious when it aired in the UK a few months ago. I haven't yet decided whether to buy Season 3 when it comes out shortly.

Otherwise the studios tend to abandon the DVD releases before I do! For example, are Fox ever going to release more seasons of NYPD Blue? I was surprised that they seem to have given up on it so early.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
For some reasons I just can't get into cop shows such as Law and Order, CSI (Not really a cop show, but...), etc.

Every episode seems too much of the same. Bad guy does something, it's a huge mystery, bad guy gets caught. I mean there is no surprise for me. Just about every single episode ends the same exact way. Sort of like Deja Vu over and over again.

I prefer the types of shows where you always want to know what happens next and that builds upon itself.

Sort of like the way Alias used to be a couple years ago for example.

I kind of hope Alias does make it to season 5. Not really for the show itself (It's been a let dwn lately). Only so the cast can collect their residuals and the show can go into syndication. I mean it would seriously suck to go out on the 4th year if you were a cast member. And it gives an oppotunity for more people to discover the first 2 seasons.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Add me to this group although I'll finish watching S2. I did notice the same thing about this series losing it's "punch" somewhere halfway thru S2. Loved S1 though.

I agree on the "abondoned" definition. I haven't abandoned any of the series that I own. There's just a few that I won't get all of the seasons.

Disagree on the A-Team :) I loved S1 but this was one series that I never watched when it originally aired so it was a complete blind-buy for me. Based on HTF'ers that know the series I'm going to gamble again on S2 coming in April.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think "abandoned" is just fine. The shows I have abandoned have not been because I don't enjoy the seasons I don't have, but for other reasons I stated. Little House, the DVDs aren't up to snuff. Sanford, it started airing on TV again and I have little motivation to continue even though I think it got stronger after the only season I have. The Jeffersons, I may eventually get them as I like future seasons, but there's just been too much else and I haven't thought about buying them.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Well due to lack of funds, I have slowed down on purchasing my sets. The one I really need to catch up on is "South Park". I have the first 2 seasons but haven't been inclined to pick up 3, 4 & 5. I want them, but there's always something else that I'd rather have. Whether it be "Friends", "Three's Company" or "Frasier", there's always something out there which holds a higher priority for me. I mean, we have "Three's Company" season 4 coming out. "Everybody Loves Raymond" season 3, and "Frasier" season 5 soon to be released. These titles will be purchased almost immediately, and "South Park" will remain in the dust. I imagine I'll catch up eventually. But when is the ultimate question.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I won't be purchasing S2 of Dukes of Hazzard. I've had S1 now for almost a year and still haven't watched the entire set because it's just more boring than I remember as a kid.

Just bought S2 of Kung Fu and am still enjoying it, especially since it's OAR.

I wish I hadn't bought S2 of Space: 1999. Horrible doesn't begin to describe that shit.

I really wish there had been a S2 of Freaks and Geeks because this is the TV box set that I have enjoyed the most.

Rian

Stunt Coordinator
After watching season 3 of Alias on TV I wasn't too impressed and I know there was no way I was buying it and still haven't after buying the first two seasons. I almost decided to buy it just to get the rebate but who am I kidding.

Maybe season 4 though, if the season ends well I'd proabably buy it. Proabably.

Oh, I bought Buffy S1 about a month ago and I remember loving the show back in the day. It's like watching a better version of Smallville. And I remember reading the Desperate Housewives thread and people were discussing Buffy on DVD in the later seasons. Was it in widescreen or did I misinterpret what I read?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks