What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Which shows have you abandoned? (1 Viewer)

Rusty_W

Auditioning

Sadly I am living in the past and I am very old school camp. I feel the new series is a new Who for the next generation. I'm stuck with the 4th to 7th Doctors as "my generation". If Doctor Who's "Rose" is any indication of things to come, then I'll pass on those DVDs sets mostly because they are not my generation of filming style. I really cannot get into much of anything non-cartoon made after 1995. I felt that the new series (based on my watching that one episode) was way to fast paced, way to realistically filmed, and chucked full of insultingly cheesy CGI effects. It's a whole new level of camp that I just cannot accept. I rather like my dodgy fake sets, rubbery monsters, and long drawn out story telling. It'll be very hard for me to adapt to the new TV Doctor as we skipped over some 15 years of advancements in TV filming. The short time gap between Red Dwarf 6 and 7 was enough to alienate me from enjoying 7 and 8. Mind you that I loved the 8th Doctor's Audio Stories, so it's not really the story telling at fault per se. Visually it's hard for me to adapt to anything modern.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I bought the first seasons of All In The Family and The Simpsons, but I really haven't felt a need to continue buying them. Both shows are on TV all the time, so I can watch them for free, and if I feel the need to track down a specific episode, there's always Netflix or the local video store. I got a couple of the Star Trek: Next Gen sets on sale used at a good price, but I wouldn't pay the new price that Paramount's asking for. With Warners and Fox doing such great jobs on their TV shows with at least twice the extras for no more (but often less) than half the price, they're just not good buys.

I would buy Six Feet Under, as well as the Sopranos volumes I'm missing, if HBO didn't severely overcharge. They charge you twice as much as a good Warner or Fox set, even though you're getting only half the number of episodes. Again, it's just not practical. I can be persuaded to buy a season of something like The West Wing for under forty bucks, but it's another thing to try to get me to buy 12 episodes of Six Feet Under for a hundred bucks.

Generally, the TV shows I've enjoyed collecting are the ones that have continuing story arcs. For a show like The Simpsons or Seinfeld, etc., there isn't as much benefit for having all of the episodes to watch in order. On the other hand, forty or fifty bucks to collect volumes of Angel, Buffy, 24, West Wing, etc., to me, that's money well spent. Whenever I watch one of those shows I usually sit down to watch multiple episodes at once, and I know I'm going to return to watching those shows in the future. When I spend money on one of those sets, I know it's not going to be a one time viewing - it might be a year or two before I want to sit down and start watching one of those shows from the beginning again, but I know at some point I will.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I stopped buying Andromeda dvd's. S5 went so down hill it pissed me off .

capt

david_hu

Stunt Coordinator
Millennium.
Season one was great then the whole thing went downhill fast.
Wong and whatsaname came onto the second year and turned the show into a cheap xfile clone and ruined it. It never recovered even though they were unofficially shafted after season 2.
Six Feet Under.
After two seasons, I'm not inclined to continue with it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Was Andromeda good through season four? I have only watched it via the S1 and S2 sets, and it is okay but not great. I like it enough to buy the next season set to see how the cliffhanger works out, though, unless it really gets bad that season.

Kelly McK

Auditioning
I've got loads of sets that I've stopped buying for now, but plan to continue because I love the shows (All in the Family, Good Times, Jeffersons). I've got some that I don't love, but still enjoy .. so I probably will stop them after a couple seasons (Happy Days, Quantum Leap, Seinfeld). It does bother me a little though, not having a complete set.

The only series that I am pretty certain I won't buy more of (actually I got them as gifts) is "24". To me, that show is all about suspense and surprise .. so once you know the surprises, there goes your replay value. Of course, I'm forgetful so I will surely forget most of the details .. but even then, you can't really just sit and watch *one* of those episodes.

Kelly

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator

Amazon just hasn't had anyone to tell them that its not coming out. They always put stuff up before they should. They'll figure it out eventually. The other site probably got the info from Amazon.

Buena Vista is releasing the 90s Fantastic Four cartoon on July 5th. They probably wouldn't release another expensive Marvel boxed set around the same time for fear of competing with themselves.

Most importantly though, David at TVSHOWSONDVD.COM spoke with them and confirmed that it is off the schedule. Here's the link.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
I am gonna have to abandon Cheers, 7th Heaven, That 70's, and possibly Frasier.

As these are my fav shows, I don't think all will be released in full series from start to finish.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
The Simpsons:

Dropped that show about 12 years ago. I forget it even still airs.

Kelly,

I agree. 24 does kind of seem as a one time only show. After viewing the episodes, I never had a need or want to go back and view them again.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
re: Marvel Superheroes

I plan to bring it to BV's attention that this is still listed at Amazon, and see what they say about that. Jon, will you shoot me an e-mail reminding me to do that, so I don't go overlooking that? I meant to do it already and, ulp, forgot. :b

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member

That 70's, Frasier, and Cheers are selling very well. I would expect each one to be fully released.

Not sure about 7th Heaven's sales, but I believe season 2 is on the way, which means season 1 sold rather well.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
CSI Miami. I'll be selling my copy. I find none of the CSI shows do it for me. I love shows with strong story arcs, character development and a strong continuity. CSI is more like an anthology. The same can be said for the entire Law and Order franchise. I must say however that while my wife can't get enough of these type of programs, I won't be buying them on DVD.

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
Well with these shows(70"s, Heaven, Frasier and Cheers) now also King of Queens all shown daily on tv, I have stopped collecting these shows
As for starting to collect these as to cut the commercials and see extras etc..... But cutting down on because of money. I can tape episodes I don't have.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
For the moment, I have "Homicide: Life on the Street" through season 4, which I consider the prime seasons. Still, even the weaker seasons are better than most shows so I may eventually get more. But at this point, I'm so backed up with things I've never seen that it's hard to make time to revisit shows.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I'm a terminal complete-ist, so I have to stop before I start, or I won't sleep at night. I axed (before I started collecting):

Alf: Thanks to the people who warned me that the episodes were cut

Simpsons: 'Cuz I always liked Futurama better, and I got those instead.

I would consider not buying Red Dwarf VII + VIII, except my completionist persona won't let me, so I'll have to suck it up, pay for them and loath them, just so I don't have the hole on my shelf.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela

Why not? Cheers and Frasier are there way to getting the whole series released, and I think 7th Heaven definitely will, I think it sold very well-well enough to get the entire series released :)

Dave Farley

Second Unit

You can do that Dean, but go into it with the understanding that the episodes you tape off TV will be missing at least 3 minutes versus the complete versions on most DVDs. You'll also have VHS-level picture quality. Not to mention the commercials and those damn channel logos.

I've abandoned Quantum Leap due to the sickening music replacement on the Season 2 set.

tom_tagliente

Stunt Coordinator
I grew up on Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica. Having seen both on DVD, Battlestar galactica still holds up very well even after 27 years. Buck Rogers on the other hand is terrible now. Cheesy, campy, and same shots of space ships over and over.

Adam*M

Stunt Coordinator
I have given up on Quantum Leap. I will not accept changes like that.

I might sell season 1 on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks