What's new

Which one first. (1 Viewer)

LarryF

Auditioning
I just have a quick little question. A newb question of sorts. I really am wanting to build a sealed shiva using adire's 54L design. And I eventually am wanting to make five speakers to go with it. But I will do the sub first. It will be my first DIY project. However right now I a have a most craptastic Sharp HTIB which is just dolby Pro-logic. Should I replace the receiver first and then do the sub or do the sub then the receiver.

My ideas/options I am trying to decide between are

1. Build sub run it off of the sub output of existing receiver with speaker line out (that's all it has for sub) and power sub off that receiver. Then save a while get plate amp use high input on amp. Then buy new receiver.

2. Wait a little longer and save to buy both sub parts and plate amp. and run off of the receiver speaker line for sub. Then save and get receiver.

3. Wait even longer and buy parts for sub, plate amp, and receiver. and use all together.

4. Buy new receiver save for speaker diy later.

5. Build sub...save a little and build center channel save a little while build front speakers...save a little...build surround...save a little then buy plate amp...save a little then buy receiver.

Any and all suggestions much appreciated.

If it helps I use my HT for all tv viewing and movies. I listen to music a lot but if you count in regular tv viewing also then it would be 80-20 ht to music. if you just count movies then it would be 50-50. I really don't have great ears. I know what sounds good and am really tired of my crappy system so small upgrades may sound tremendous to me.

Thanks for you time.

Larry

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
hi larry,
6. build sub, save a lil, watch some movies, buy plate amp , save a lil, watch some movies, buy receiver, save a lil, watch some movies, build center, save a lil, watch some more movies, build speaks, pat yourself on the back for having the patience to do it, save a lil, buy more movies, save a lil, buy popcorn
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
, watch alot more movies.

get the sub done 1st because its the best bang for your buck upgrade. get the plate next to be ready to use the lfe out from the new receiver you get after that. the receiver you get will prob have some sort of phantom center channel option that splits the cc signal between the fronts(most do anyway), then build a center speak, then the rest of the speaks.

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
1)Build sub.
2)Run off of existing sub out.
3)Save
4)Buy new receiver.
5)Use old receiver to power sub.
6)Make center

Then decide whether you want to replace the sub amp or other speakers based on finances.

Frank

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Ditto Frank. There's nothing that says you have to use a plate amp. Old receivers and pro amps do the job too.

LarryF

Auditioning
Thanks for the info guys. I never even though about using the old receiver to be the sub amp. The only thing is it is one of those all together thingies. Tape deck built in cd changer built in. But I might be able to hide it somewhere so it doesn't look goofy. hummmm. Now you got me thinking. Thanks guys. and any more info anyone else has go ahead. you got my wheels a spinnin'

Larry

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,
If it's an all in one, chances are the amp is probably smaller so you might not be able to run a sub off of it. The specs would help and people here could tell you if you had enough power to run the sub.

Frank

LarryF

Auditioning
I'm thinking but I will look for sure tonight that it is supposed to "supposed to" put out 60 watts to the sub. I will get the model number off of it at lunch and this afternoon look it up. That is another thing if I did it with a receiver the hook up would confuse me. If I am guessing right I would hook the lfe up use a y adapter to the left right input of aux or video one. Then I would run just the sub output to the sub itself. Or do I need to do something like hook the sub output and front speakers to the sub? and would I put it in Dolby Prologic mode where it plays all 5.1 or just stereo where it does 2.1 the old receiver as the sub amp that is.

And Jeff I do have a center channel speaker in this set up. I just thought the next speaker I do would be the center since that would be the next most important speaker to have a good one if I have read and learned from reading everyones posts right.

Larry

LarryF

Auditioning
:confused:

Ok here is the more info I promised. What I was able to find out is that it is 40 watts front 20 center 20 rear and 40 sub. and here is a link to more specs if you need it but didn't seem to usefull other then mentioned above.

Link

Mine looks a bit different but it is the same sharp cd-pc4900. And from the specs does all the same stuff.

Any ideas welcome.

Larry

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Chances are since they state "160 watts total power" they are talking Peak power and not RMS. That would not leave you with sufficient power to properly power a decent DIY sub.

It might be worth saving to build a sub and get a decent, cheap plate amp. Check out the For Sale forum here frequently. You'll find Shiva's and plate amps going up for sale cheap every once in a while. I got a Shiva for $85 shipped recently and I've seen good plate amps go for under $100.

Frank

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I would like to retract my previous suggestion. That little thing isn't going to decently power a Shiva. Save up some more coin bro' and do it right. It'll be worth it.

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
larry,
re: the cc speaker...ok that wasnt clear in your original post. thats fine, use it until you upgrade.

when you get a new receiver AND IF you use the sharp as the sub amp (i wouldnt, 40 watts into 6 ohms at 10%, yuk)...
run an rca cable from the new receiver's lfe-out rca jack to the aux/vid1/whatever input rca jack on the sharp. you dont need a y splitter, one channel will do.
then run speaker wires to the sub from whatever channel you used (L or R) from the sharp.
turn the sharp's balance control to that side.
select whatever input you used on the sharp to power up the sub.

or just simplify all that and get a plate amp and run the sharp's sub-out speaker wires to it and be done with it.
i think i know the answer to this but i will ask anyway...the sharp does not have a sub-out rca jack, correct?

edit:heh you guys beat me to the KO punch.

LarryF

Auditioning
Thanks for the Info jeff and everyone.

The sharp does not have an rca sub out it is just regular speaker wire.

I think from the sounds of It and all the advice I think that I will wait to build the sub till I got the dough to get the plate amp too. Then I will hook the sharp up to the plate amp. Then enjoy and save up some more dough for the next thing.

Thanks again for all the info,
Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks