What's new

Which 36" TVs have anamorphic squeeze? (1 Viewer)

Lucas Hale

Agent
Greetings,
I'm in the process of scouting for a new 36" TV and would like to know what models allow for anamorphic squeeze. I know that the Wegas allow this, but do others, like JVC, Toshiba, and Panasonic? Thanks!

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Other than the Wega/XBR line, only the Panasonic Tau offers this option. However, there is a flaw. It only can do it automatically and it fails to do so with many DVD players (mostly non-Panasonic). I've seen this myself. So then you are simply out of luck and cannot enjoy the benefits of 16x9 viewing.
That reason alone kept me from buying the Tau. It's a shame because otherwise, the set is outstanding.
The Wega/XBR lines are nice, but stay away from the older KV lines (KV16 and under). The KV26 and above so not suffer from the Uneven Brightness problem nearly to the extent of the older versions. I have a KV16 that is going back to Sears because I simply could not stand the very obvious flaw, which Sony cannot fix.
To make it easy, the grayer (charcoal) versions are the best. But they are expensive. The cheapest Wega 36" model without a bad brightness problem is the KV26 for about $1,700. Very nice set, auto 16x9, with manual option too. No 480p. That would cost you hundreds more.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
You left out the JVC brand which can also do the squeeze trick by pushing a few buttons thru the service menu .
------------------

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Reg, the service menu doesn't count. You are not supposed to be there and that can void the warranty. Now, that doesn't mean I don't go in there myself for tweaks, but what the poster is asking (and correct me if I am wrong, poster) is what TV's have that as a normal option.
JVC, Panasonic, Toshiba need to get with the ballgame.
------------------

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Matt, is it onlt the HDTV-ready Panasonic Taus that try to do the automatic detection or do the non-HDTV-ready Taus do it as well?
--tom

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Matt, the poster Lucas made no mention of normal function or otherwise. That's why I mentioned the JVC because he might not be aware that the JVC can do the squeeze trick quite easily thru the service menu. Besides I would rather give he the information and let him decide to accept or reject it, than not know about the JVC as a option.
------------------

Lucas Hale

Agent
For clarification, I am interested in TVs that can do anamorphic squeeze in ANY way, shape, or form, whether through service menus or otherwise. Are all of JVCs 36" TVs capable of this? Are any of them recommended?
Thanks!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Lucas, if you're looking for ones that do it any which way (user, automatic detect, service menu) then the JVC, and Toshiba and probably the Panasonics will do it. It's really a case of what geometry and/or convergence issues pop up when you squeeze the screen size down to a 1.78:1 ratio. And of course, the "hassle" of changing everything that you tweaked back for 4:3 viewing.
cheers,
--tom

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Entering the JVC service mode is quite simple and a breeze once you get use to it. Simultaneously press and hold down these three buttons on your remote. Sleep timer, display and video status. The next screen will should have the word picture highlighted in yellow. Press the left - volume control to enter the picture service mode. Then hit the channel + button to scroll to these numbers. 41 which set at 36 on the 27" models and is labeled "V Size" should be set to zero. 42 which is set to 10 on the 27" models and labeled VS CR should be set as high as your particular set allows. Press exit to leave the service menu.
Just remember to write down those settings and return them normal after viewing anamorphic DVDs. BTW your DVD playes should be set for a 16:9 TV.
------------------

Lucas Hale

Agent
So, if I were to go with a Wega, would something like a FS13 be too prone to the uneven brightness/other problems?

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Oh yes! The 13 and 16 are bad with that problem. The FV26 is an improvement, but it can still be seen on some of them (it varies from set to set). The newer charcoal models, which are more money, but 480p capable, are a huge improvement.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks