What's new
World Wide Stereo

Where should I mount my right in-wall surround speaker? (1 Viewer)

ews2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
For my left and right surrounds, I will be adding in-wall speakers so that people don't hit them as they go by the narrow walkway on both sides. Let's say I go with the Polk Audio 265-RT which is 7 1/4" wide by 19 1/4" tall. [Please see the picture attached to this post before continuing to read]. The problem is that I have a door on just the right side, as well as the stud space for "A" shown in the image is only 9" wide, not a full stud space of 16". So, I need your opinions on whether I should put the speaker in location A, B or C, or somewhere else for that matter. The lines aren't drawn to scale, but I just wanted to represent the stud spaces, A = 9 inches, B = 16 inches, C= 16 inches.

Some thoughts and questions:

1. Does it matter that an in-wall speaker NOT inhabit a full 16 inch standard stud space? Will it sound funny if it's in a smaller stud space?
2. I've been told to hang the middle of the speaker about standing ear level, is that the best location height-wise?
3. I've been told you don't want to put your speaker in line with your ear, even if it's up higher, that's the problem with stud space B. Is that true?

Forgot to mention, I will be using a tiered couch setup, with 2 rows (you can see the back row couch under the plastic.

Attachments

• theater_room_speaker_placement.jpg
    theater_room_speaker_placement.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 33
728x90

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Standing ear level? No. Sitting ear height...maybe 12" higher up.

If your in-wall doesn't come with a "mount box"...then the rear cavity space is irrelevant(as in it is designed to be OB).

I would pick B.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Your right surround speaker should be 90 to 110 degrees relative to your seated position. However anyone sitting at the ends of row one will have a surround speaker very close and this will result in a speaker-in-the-ear effect. Another problem I see is row two will never happen as the surround speakers will actually be forward of the seated position. I would pick location C for proper surround sound effects of row 1 and consider row 2 a complete surround sound loss (which is inevitable with your options). Considering your room width, seating and placement limitations I would seriously consider dipole speakers for your surrounds.

ews2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
Did you even look at in-walls with pivot tweeters?
From the specs for the Polk 265-RT speaker:
"1" swivel-mount silk/polymer dome tweeter"
"Dual 6-1/2" woofers and a pivoting silk-dome polymer tweeter deliver wide frequency response, from deep bass to crystal-clear highs."

I'm curious if that would change your answer?

ews2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
schan1269 said:
I chose B cause C is too far back for an in-wall that doesn't pivot.

Did you even look at in-walls with pivot tweeters?
Because the in-wall speakers do pivot, should I mount them in location C, then point the pivots towards the front row? Is that what you're saying to do? Rather than location B?

ews2001

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
Thanks everyone, I installed them in-wall last night in "C" per everyone's feedback. I considered di-poles, but it's such a narrow walkway and I have tall people in my family, I didn't want it to be annoying to duck or twist everytime you pass by, so for that reason alone I chose the in-walls. My only question is wondering which direction my tweeters should be pointed, does anyone have a suggestion there? Front row middle? Second row middle? Elsewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks