What's new

When will Apple give us a Blu-ray of last year's Oscar-winning CODA? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Incidentally, I actually had a 1-year free trial (from buying an ATV4K last year) that recently expired, so I've actually had plenty of time to try their service and catch Coda (amongst handful other things), but never got around to it. I will probably (cheaply) re-up my subscription (at least briefly) at some point just to binge on a small handful of things like Ted Lasso whenever the new season hits... or I might simply step upto Apple One and not bother doing that -- yes, my family already uses/shares Apple Music plus iCloud for iPhone backups, etc. And I've been growing our iTunes movies library these last couple years (w/out forsaking physical media), so there's also some synergy there...

LOL! As soon as I posted that, I noticed Apple just sent me an email offering another 3 months free for being an Apple Card user. And unlike some such offers (for free trial), this one doesn't actually require me to be a new subscriber in the fine print -- the offer explicitly includes both "new and existing subscribers" (although it naturally excludes Apple One users probably just because of the logistics)...

Not in the U.S.

Hmmm... odd that...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I get what you're saying (and agree to an extent, particularly about the general principle of "business" vs "corporate greed"), but that really seems to be Apple's intent... to get you to try out their service w/ free trial incentives like this. You could go into it believing you won't like the service (enough) and are just gonna watch this one film and cancel, and that would certainly still fit Apple's intent as they implemented it, especially since they're keeping it exclusive (and really do not offer a ton of other quality selections). I'm sure they know/realize (and accept as part of their business model) that's bound to happen in at least some significant percentage of cases.

Not like you'd be lying or cheating to do it afterall -- heck, they might even find meaningful value merely in your free trial datapoint...

_Man_

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my initial response. While I expressed a general opinion regarding the subject at hand, I could care less about this film. I've never even heard of it. My main point was, I would never sign up for a streaming service just to be allowed the privilege of viewing a single title. Catalog, maybe. Single film, absolutely not. As an example, I loved House of Cards [the first 5 seasons anyway] but I was a Netflix customer years before it ever existed and remain one today.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's the same situation with HAMILTON

Would love to have a 4k of the Disney broadcast but with what the company paid for rights, I doubt they will make it available for disc release anytime soon.

Paintbeanie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Peter
I understand the frustration but apparently as I’ve been told we are not their market anymore. I have seen a few things on streaming but they are almost always because I saw part of the series first on dvd. And even when I do use streaming I use the free trials which works fine for me. I stream so infrequently that if I ever need to repeat a service I’ve been off it so long that the free trial is active again or they have sent a free month to woo me back again. I have noticed the changes though so I have had to start thinking about what I want to do when it is pretty much only streaming. In the end I think that I will just end up missing a lot. I have plenty of titles to catch up on and keep me occupied. It will be sad but I definitely won’t have a shortage of things to watch so I’ll live.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I understand Apple (or whomever) putting movies out on disc. And I understand them not putting them out on disc.

What I don’t understand is not putting them out on disc. Except in Italy, where they do put it out on disc.

🤔
I purchased a copy of the Italian release of CODA. It's quite a nice copy. I was able to find it at a Canadian brick and mortar store who apparently imported in a bunch of copies knowing they would all sell. Reasonable price, too.

View attachment 147667

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The film was independently financed and produced, and Apple picked up rights after the film was fully completed. It’s possible that another distributor has rights for different territories, or that one of the financiers carved out physical media distribution rights in limited territories as part of funding. It’s probably no different than any other indie movie that is distributed by different entities in different territories.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Look, @Josh Steinberg , I’m going for an incompetent, nefarious, plutocratic corporate conspiracy. Don’t come at me with your informed and reasonable opinions!
I have a DVD of "CODA", a screener I got along with screeners for "The Tragedy of Macbeth", "Being the Ricardos",
"Springsteen on Broadway", and a few other streaming service exclusives for $4 each from the large Value Village right around the corner from my place in Vancouver. I've found many wonderful things there over the years, but no more. On June 30th of this year my neighbourhood Value Village burned to the ground (a mere 4 hours after I purchased a copy of "My Voyage To Italy" but I digress). As far as I'm concerned, it might not have been an incompetent, nefarious, plutocratic corporate conspiracy on the part of the streaming services but it'll do until the incompetent, nefarious, plutocratic corporate conspiracy on the part of the streaming services gets here.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's the same situation with HAMILTON

Would love to have a 4k of the Disney broadcast but with what the company paid for rights, I doubt they will make it available for disc release anytime soon.
This is an interesting situation because Hamilton was originally sold to Disney and scheduled as a wide theatrical release. Everyone involved decided to move it to Disney+ in the early days of the pandemic.

I have to assume that there would have been a disc release of it following a traditional theatrical release.

A disc release would also sell really well at the merchandise stand for people attending the show live. I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually get one, but they probably want a much longer window as a Disney+ exclusive first.

In regards to Apple and CODA: Apple released the film Wolfwalkers from Cartoon Saloon last year. Their deal for it permitted for it to be released on Blu-ray exclusively as part of a more expensive Irish Folklore Trilogy box set with other Cartoon Saloon films which retails for $80. Apple did not want Wolfwalkers to be released as a single disc. So there is precedent for Apple allowing the release of a streaming film onto physical disc, but it is a premium priced one. This effectively allows Apple to maintain some degree of exclusivity, as the expensive box set will only sell to dedicated fans and the movie won't end up in Walmart bargain bins.

I don't know of any plans currently with CODA, but the existence of the Wolfwalkers Blu-ray indicates that Apple is not completely opposed to physical releases for films which they distribute on streaming.

As others have noted, CODA was produced independently and Apple purchased the distribution rights to the film. So it would have existed anyway even if another studio had been the buyer. In the case of the films that the streaming services make themselves, they will put up money for movies that perhaps wouldn't get made at a traditional studio for a theatrical release.

As with most people here, I love physical media. Tthere are movies on most streaming services that I want to own and would buy if a disc were released. But if that doesn't happen for some of them, I still think it is better for the movies to exist on a streamer than not to exist at all.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
You and me, Battlebeast! Like you, I have every Oscar winning best picture except CODA. A few are still only available on DVD, such as CIMARRON and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, but I hold hopes that those will have Blu Ray releases sooner than later. CODA is another matter. (The sound you hear is me grinding my teeth.)
Poder we're in the same boat. Got all the BP winners on Blu-ray except the 6 that aren't available yet. But I have those on DVD. It's frustrating about CODA. But I feared this would happen as soon as it was announced the winner.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
I mean, this won the Academy Award as 2021's Best Picture, and there is no Blu-ray release in sight. I hate it when excellent films end up as streaming-only titles. Come one, Apple, you've had a pretty long window of exclusivity here already.

This was the first Streaming service title to win the Oscar, which it was eligable for only because it played a couple of theaters for a week to qualify. The movie never even played near my town. Share, please! My feeling is that a film can only be eligable to win Oscars if it plays wide in theaters everywhere. This does not seem to be an even playing field.

I simple refuse to subscribe to every f**king streaming service just to catch a Netflix exclusive today or a Hulu exclusive tomorrow or, now, an Apple exclusive. Sure, keep them to yourselves for a period of exclusivity, but then release them on physical disc. License them out. Just get them out to the general public, please!

To other members: Please spare me the time-worn argument that physical media sales are dwindling or that streaming services have every right to keep these movies all to themselves if they wish. While both may be true, they are
pissing me off!! :angry:How dare you piss me off, cable t.v.?
For what it's worth, the website moviesrusa.net is showing CODA on Blu-ray for $29.99. I never heard of this site so I don't know how legit it is. Has anyone had experience with it?

Robert McNay

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Apple doesn't seem to be releasing much of anything to disc. I'm still waiting for a video release of "Greyhound", the Tom Hanks film from 2 years ago. It was a co production of Sony and Apple.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks