What's new

When will Apple give us a Blu-ray of last year's Oscar-winning CODA? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I mean, this won the Academy Award as 2021's Best Picture, and there is no Blu-ray release in sight. I hate it when excellent films end up as streaming-only titles. Come one, Apple, you've had a pretty long window of exclusivity here already.

This was the first Streaming service title to win the Oscar, which it was eligable for only because it played a couple of theaters for a week to qualify. The movie never even played near my town. Share, please! My feeling is that a film can only be eligable to win Oscars if it plays wide in theaters everywhere. This does not seem to be an even playing field.

I simple refuse to subscribe to every f**king streaming service just to catch a Netflix exclusive today or a Hulu exclusive tomorrow or, now, an Apple exclusive. Sure, keep them to yourselves for a period of exclusivity, but then release them on physical disc. License them out. Just get them out to the general public, please!

To other members: Please spare me the time-worn argument that physical media sales are dwindling or that streaming services have every right to keep these movies all to themselves if they wish. While both may be true, they are
pissing me off!! :angry: How dare you piss me off, cable t.v.?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I mean, this won the Academy Award as 2021's Best Picture, and there is no Blu-ray release in sight. I hate it when excellent films end up as streaming-only titles. Come one, Apple, you've had a pretty long window of exclusivity here already.

This was the first Streaming service title to win the Oscar, which it was eligable for only because it played a couple of theaters for a week to qualify. The movie never even played near my town. Share, please! My feeling is that a film can only be eligable to win Oscars if it plays wide in theaters everywhere. This does not seem to be an even playing field.

I simple refuse to subscribe to every f**king streaming service just to catch a Netflix exclusive today or a Hulu exclusive tomorrow or, now, an Apple exclusive. Sure, keep them to yourselves for a period of exclusivity, but then release them on physical disc. License them out. Just get them out to the general public, please!

To other members: Please spare me the time-worn argument that physical media sales are dwindling or that streaming services have every right to keep these movies all to themselves if they wish. While both may be true, they are
pissing me off!! :angry:How dare you piss me off, cable t.v.?
Well, there is a 4K UHD + blu-ray in Italy, which looks as though it has both an English soundtrack and English subtitles.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I saw Coda on a screener sent out by SAG. I don't subscribe to Apple, Hulu, Netflix, Disney +, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Criterion channel etc. etc. etc. If I'm missing out, I'm missing out but they ain't getting a dime out of me. Fortunately, I do live in L.A. which means if they play theatres, they're available to me.

Frustrating? Yes! But it is what it is, deal with it. I hope getting it off your chest made you feel better because these streaming services couldn't care less.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I agree, it's a disturbing trend fueled by a level of greed that is hard to understand. In all such cases, however, it will eventually work itself out. Meanwhile there's plenty of excellent content out there to keep me occupied. I'll view this particular title when it is made available on my terms and not before.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Apple acquired the movie for $25 million, the highest price ever paid at Sundance, to use to induce people to subscribe to Apple TV+. That was the point. Another word for “corporate greed” is “business.” Want to stick it to Apple and watch the movie for free? Subscribe and cancel before the seven-day free trial ends.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I saw Coda on a screener sent out by SAG. I don't subscribe to Apple, Hulu, Netflix, Disney +, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Criterion channel etc. etc. etc. If I'm missing out, I'm missing out but they ain't getting a dime out of me. Fortunately, I do live in L.A. which means if they play theatres, they're available to me.

Frustrating? Yes! But it is what it is, deal with it. I hope getting it off your chest made you feel better because these streaming services couldn't care less.

Of course, ranting about something nearly always makes me feel better, even if it doesn't achieve the desired result. And, of course, I will "deal with it," for what other choice do I have? Haven't you raved about something at least once or twice in your 21 years here? :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Apple acquired the movie for $25 million, the highest price ever paid at Sundance, to use to induce people to subscribe to Apple TV+. That was the point. Another word for “corporate greed” is “business.” Want to stick it to Apple and watch the movie for free? Subscribe and cancel before the seven-day free trial ends.
That's a bit broad, don't you think?

Also, speaking only for myself of course, I wouldn't expect to watch it free if that was not their initial intent, only to have the right to purchase it outright, without a subscription. Until that happens I'll happily pass.

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
"Coda" is a mediocre little film better suited for the Lifetime channel. Another example of an Oscar bought by a PR campaign. I do subscribe to 10 streaming services for less than half the price of basic cable. Watch local channels with an antenna. No longer see the point in buying discs to watch once (if that) so I can have a collection.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I know it's not really related, but Apple never supported Blu-ray with their computer operating system.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

pissing me off!! :angry:How dare you piss me off, cable t.v.?
There is nothing funny about this. I totally 💯% agree. I wanted to see CODA in theatres. Couldn’t. It stinks. I still can’t see it. And I collect BP noms on Blu. And winners.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

That's a bit broad, don't you think?

Also, speaking only for myself of course, I wouldn't expect to watch it free if that was not their initial intent, only to have the right to purchase it outright, without a subscription. Until that happens I'll happily pass.

I get what you're saying (and agree to an extent, particularly about the general principle of "business" vs "corporate greed"), but that really seems to be Apple's intent... to get you to try out their service w/ free trial incentives like this. You could go into it believing you won't like the service (enough) and are just gonna watch this one film and cancel, and that would certainly still fit Apple's intent as they implemented it, especially since they're keeping it exclusive (and really do not offer a ton of other quality selections). I'm sure they know/realize (and accept as part of their business model) that's bound to happen in at least some significant percentage of cases.

Not like you'd be lying or cheating to do it afterall -- heck, they might even find meaningful value merely in your free trial datapoint...

_Man_

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
There is nothing funny about this. I totally 💯% agree. I wanted to see CODA in theatres. Couldn’t. It stinks. I still can’t see it. And I collect BP noms on Blu. And winners.
You and me, Battlebeast! Like you, I have every Oscar winning best picture except CODA. A few are still only available on DVD, such as CIMARRON and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, but I hold hopes that those will have Blu Ray releases sooner than later. CODA is another matter. (The sound you hear is me grinding my teeth.)

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I get what you're saying (and agree to an extent, particularly about the general principle of "business" vs "corporate greed"), but that really seems to be Apple's intent... to get you to try out their service w/ free trial incentives like this. You could go into it believing you won't like the service (enough) and are just gonna watch this one film and cancel, and that would certainly still fit Apple's intent as they implemented it, especially since they're keeping it exclusive (and really do not offer a ton of other quality selections). I'm sure they know/realize (and accept as part of their business model) that's bound to happen in at least some significant percentage of cases.

Not like you'd be lying or cheating to do it afterall -- heck, they might even find meaningful value merely in your free trial datapoint...

_Man_
If you’re referring to where I said you could stick it to Apple, I meant that ironically. Nonetheless, if you want to watch the movie, there is a way to do so without paying anything.

Ross Gowland

Second Unit
Real Name
Ross Gowland
I’m hoping this era of big films being owned wholly by streaming platforms, being given awards-qualifying bare minimum theatrical screenings and no physical media, will be a short lived fad.

The shareholders meeting for Warner yesterday suggests that they’re moving away from this model for films. The money that can made from theatrical and home video simply isn’t matched by streaming.

In short, streaming is an ok replacement for telly, but not for cinema or films on disc. The sooner it ends the better.

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio Netflix only? And Scorses’s next three films Apple only? Well bollocks to that!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m hoping this era of big films being owned wholly by streaming platforms, being given awards-qualifying bare minimum theatrical screenings and no physical media, will be a short lived fad.

The shareholders meeting for Warner yesterday suggests that they’re moving away from this model for films. The money that can made from theatrical and home video simply isn’t matched by streaming.

In short, streaming is an ok replacement for telly, but not for cinema or films on disc. The sooner it ends the better.

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio Netflix only? And Scorses’s next three films Apple only? Well bollocks to that!
Streaming is a home video format!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

That dictionary needs to upgrade their definitions then as streaming is another method to watch movies and TV shows at home.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you’re referring to where I said you could stick it to Apple, I meant that ironically. Nonetheless, if you want to watch the movie, there is a way to do so without paying anything.

Oh, I was agreeing w/ you for the most part (as you can see by my "reaction"). I was responding mainly to John's comment there.

Incidentally, I actually had a 1-year free trial (from buying an ATV4K last year) that recently expired, so I've actually had plenty of time to try their service and catch Coda (amongst handful other things), but never got around to it. I will probably (cheaply) re-up my subscription (at least briefly) at some point just to binge on a small handful of things like Ted Lasso whenever the new season hits... or I might simply step upto Apple One and not bother doing that -- yes, my family already uses/shares Apple Music plus iCloud for iPhone backups, etc. And I've been growing our iTunes movies library these last couple years (w/out forsaking physical media), so there's also some synergy there...

While I can appreciate the sentiment and agree that such titles should be released to physical media, not just streaming, don't think I can agree w/ the sentiment that streaming can't be fine/suitable enough for at least some titles in one's collection (whether for convenience or because one finds less valuable and would rather save storage space, etc) NVM the rental aspect...

BTW, @John Dirk, et al, if you don't want subscription streaming, but are fine w/ renting or "owning"/collecting on "digital", Coda's actually also available for rental/purchase on iTunes/AppleTV as usual...

_Man_

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
BTW, @John Dirk, et al, if you don't want subscription streaming, but are fine w/ renting or "owning"/collecting on "digital", Coda's actually also available for rental/purchase on iTunes/AppleTV as usual...
Not in the U.S.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I purchased a copy of the Italian release of CODA. It's quite a nice copy. I was able to find it at a Canadian brick and mortar store who apparently imported in a bunch of copies knowing they would all sell. Reasonable price, too.

CODA.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks