What's new

When might Universal announce ALL of its "Fall Of Fear" titles? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm still crossing my fingers. They've only identified about a dozen of the supposed 40 titles that will be included in this promotion. I'm sure I'm not alone in praying that ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, CAT AND THE CANARY (1939) and THE UNINVITED will be among those films not yet identified. If they're not, among nearly thirty films, I will probably lose hope that those three titles will ever see the DVD light of day.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
I could be wrong, but I thought all of the new titles had already been announced, and that most of the 40 titles are simply repackagings.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Even if no new releases are announced, it'd be really grand if they re-release the Bela Lugosi, Hammer and Invisible Man sets as double bill DVD-9s, given the many problems consumers have had with the DVD-18s

JeffT.

Deceased Member
It seems that the only "fear" that we will be having this Fall (2009) is that Universal Studios Home Entertainment will be releasing nothing suitable for Halloween!

But yes they could rerelease both the BELA LUGOSI and HAMMER HORROR FILMS COLLECTIONS as I didn't bother buying either because of all the negative reports pertaining to the encoding defects inherent with the DVD-18 supercompressed format.

Universal could also easily reissue the 1940s horror film collection that was previously issued only as a Best Buy exclusive which all of us in Canada never had a chance to obtain either.

Haven't we already had this selfsame topic (well) covered in a lengthier identically themed discussion thread.

Jeff T.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Shouldn't they have already made the announcement - it's early July and allowing the time between pre-order/book date and street date for Late September-Early October, we should have heard nothing.

i still expect it to be re-releases of stuff already out as DVD-9s as suggested.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
But yes they could rerelease both the BELA LUGOSI and HAMMER HORROR FILMS COLLECTIONS as I didn't bother buying either because of all the negative reports pertaining to the encoding defects inherent with the DVD-18 supercompressed format.

There is nothing wrong with the encoding of the films; the problem lies with the physical manufacture of the discs. DVD-18 type discs which have two layers on each side are quite difficult to make, and not all of the disc manufacturers are set up to do it. This, plus I rather suspect budget allocations, lead Universal to choose a Mexican based maker which has, shall we say "quality control issues". This means that a substantial portion of the discs have errors on them. Some people may own them without knowing, because some models of DVD player have better error-correction on them, and play them perfectly. My set plays perfectly on my Panasonic player, but refuses to do so on my venerable Pioneer and on my PC drives. A scan using a disc checker reveals that both discs have bad sectors on both sides, and they all cluster around the layerchange area.

The films themselves look perfectly fine, in fact, they look superb. Given the lack of extras, etc, it is not unreasonable to have what is in effect two films on a DVD-9 disc (although, obviously, it is always more desireable to have just one film, which permits greater bitrates).

The problem with this set is not the encoding, nor over use of compression, it is the manufacture of the physical medium itself.

If there were no problems with the type 18 discs, or these films were issued two per disc on the more common DVD-9 type, or even one film per DVD-5 type, I'd be perfectly content to buy them.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by JeffT.

Yeah, those two sets were the only DVD-18s I've ever had problems with. I really wish that Universal would get their act together and start releasing more new-to-DVD oldies, but at the very least, they SHOULD re-do the HAMMER and BELA LUGOSI collections!

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
I have come with what I think is the list of 40 Fall of Fear titles. The list is based on what is up for pre-order at Amazon.com and DVD Empire, plus the recent Classic Flix announcement that the Universal Horror Archive (a Best Buy exclusive from 2007) is getting a full retail release on 9/15.

An American Werewolf in London (New Special Edition)
Army of Darkness (Screwhead Edition)
John Carpenter: Master Of Fear Collection (Prince Of Darkness, They Live, The Thing, Village Of The Damned)
King Kong Escapes
King Kong Vs. Godzilla
Phantasm II
Wes Craven Horror Collection, The (The People Under The Stairs, Shocker, The Serpent And The Rainbow)
Wolf Man, The: The Universal Legacy Series
Bride of Frankenstein
Cape Fear (1991)
Cat People (1982)
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Dead Silence
Dracula (1979)
Frankenstein: The True Stoy (1973)
The Frighteners
Hellboy 2
The Hitcher (2007)
Land of the Dead
The Legacy
The Mummy (1932)
Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Psycho (1960)
The Sentinel
Shaun of the Dead
Skeleton Key (2005)
Slither
Sssssss
Van Helsing
The Wolf Man (Standard Edition)
Universal Horor Archive release (Black Cat '41, Man Made Monster, Night Monster, Horror Island, Captive Wild Woman)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Yup, I think you are right and nothing there excites me since I have all the titles that I want. I will spring for the new American Werewolf in London, but nothing else. As I see it there is not one film new to DVD. What could have been a great Halloween season has just got worse.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Your right Phantasm 2 is new to R1, Also some of the titles will be offered in Blu-ray, so a few will get new transfers. I just wish Universal would dig a little deeper into the vault and come up with some new to DVD films. Universal is sitting on some of the most wanted Horror /Mystery films from the Paramount catalog and with such void this year from MGM/Fox, Warner's, and even Sony, Universal had a perfect opportunity for a great promotion of titles and sweep rug with everyone else. This year was a perfect time to have a great set of films to release and no one took advantage of it. It would even be great if Universal took all their horror films (Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Mummy, Creature and few others) and put them in a box set with new transfers as they did with Abbott & Costello last year, It would have been great to put them in a coffin box and add a book on the history of the Universal Horror films. They could have gotten the Paramount horror/mystery films together in a collection that looked liked a haunted house. Nothing like pulling The Uninvited out of the attic of the haunted house. Oh well I can dream.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
With so many people requesting The Uninvited on DVD you would think an enterprise that's supposed to give the public what they want would oblige. We're the consumers ready to shell out - they're the people who have the product - isn't this the way it works? Hell, if they're releasing Phantasm II why can't...oh, never mind.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
As I said there was a similarly extensively responded to themed discussion thread on this very topic but I think that it has been conclusively proven beyond a shadow-of-a-doubt that there are still outstanding titles in the Universal Pictures horror film catalogue that could be released on DVD.

Just to cite one such example I (personally) would welcome a horror doublebill of the second feature horror B-film programmers THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE (1958)/CURSE OF THE UNDEAD (1959) complete with the original theatrical trailers which would outclass most anything else announced for Halloween 2009.

But this just doesn't seem to the year for it. Perhaps Universal just requires some lagtime to catch its corporate breath and properly assess the situation before moving ahead once again. Universal just doesn't seem very interested in releasing much of anything lately!

Where is a good (anamorphic) widescreen digitally remastered and fully restored DVD edition of COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT (1970)?

If it comes to frontline Universal horror screen classics then I am still lobbying for FLESH AND FANTASY (1943) which is the best suggestion by far!

Jeff T.
Edited by JeffT. - 7/23/2009 at 05:58 am GMT

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Originally Posted by JeffT.

Where is a good (anamorphic) widescreen digitally remastered and fully restored DVD edition of COLOSSUS THE FORBIN PROJECT (1970)?

Jeff T.
Edited by JeffT. - 7/23/2009 at 05:58 am GMT
There's one on UK DVD

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
wow. Whole lot of nothing there. What a waste of a promotion.

I will be getting An American Werewolf on BD but that's it. I'm not buying the classic monsters again unless they get a BD release.

I'm becoming convinced that Island of Lost Souls, Murders in the Zoo and The Uninvited will never see the light of day on R1 DVD.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
MURDERS IN THE ZOO will be on TCM in Oct. so that's as good as it's going to get for now. Perhaps next year we'll get some of these in either a Pre-Code set or as some type of collection.

Or we just just try and stay positive in hopes that these "good sellers" will make Universal enough money to throw a few pennies at the smaller titles next year.

If PHANTASM II doesn't have the workprint then I say why bother. Hopefully they at least have the alternate/deleted footage on as an extra.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Originally Posted by Jim_K

wow. Whole lot of nothing there. What a waste of a promotion.

I will be getting An American Werewolf on BD but that's it. I'm not buying the classic monsters again unless they get a BD release.

I'm becoming convinced that Island of Lost Souls, Murders in the Zoo and The Uninvited will never see the light of day on R1 DVD.
If Uni had any imagination, they could release Island in the UK making a big deal of its banned status

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks