What's new

When might Universal announce ALL of its "Fall Of Fear" titles? (1 Viewer)

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Yeah, it's a nice opportunity for people outside of the US who couldn't persuade someone to buy a copy of the Movie Archive set for them from Best Buy - but then Universal doesn't care a bit for foreign sales, so really, the general release of this is one big fat nothing. It's just a totally cost free way to squeeze a few more sales out of stuff they already released, while appearing to do something for Halloween, when in reality they are doing squat.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I myself was guilty of writing Universal off before -- but there have been reports elsewhere that the studio may be releasing another set of never-before-to-DVD older horrors. I can't get into more detail -- partly because I don't know any specifics myself! -- but also because it was later reported that Universal would rather keep private regarding all the details until they're ready to make an announcement. When this will be, or what will be on the set, is anyone's guess.

I don't want to offend Universal if they're reading this, but hopefully they'll know there are a lot of fans who appreciate this and are anxiously awaiting more classic horror movies.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There is a lot of talk about this non-announced set. It is said that it will be made up of some previously released VHS titles and some never before released to home video. The people doing the talking are one that would be in the know so I can only salivate what the titles could be. I guess I proved Pavlov's Theory again.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Nebiroth

I bet they make it another Best Buy exclusive though!

I'm all for a BEST BUY excusive before a release to general retail - it gets the stuff out on the shelf into a store. :)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
With so much talk of health care reform in the U.S., and so many people mad at doctors, a Mad Doctor set might be good timing. They have a lot to choose from, featuring crazed doctors/scientists:

Island of Lost Souls
Murders in the Zoo
The Mad Doctor of Market Street
The Strange Case of Dr. Rx
The Mad Ghoul
Jungle Captive
The Spider Woman Strikes Back
House of Horrors

OK, that last one doesn't have a crazed doctor/scientist in it, but I threw it in there anyway.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Since my initial message posting the previously listed AMAZON.COM and AMAZON.CA release date for the Universal Studios Home Entertainment UNIVERSAL HORROR MOVIE ARCHIVE 5-disc set has now been revised to October 20th, 2009 but still definitely coming out.

Meanwhile (predictably) the DVD release of THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933) has now been put on hold indefinitely!

If any further classic Universal screen horror titles are released on DVD either as single film sets or multi-film collections I am not in favour of a BEST BUY exclusive (unless these come out in our local Canadian BEST BUY stores as well) but a general release...which is what they have been the last couple of rounds!

I would still like to see a super-deluxe DVD release of FLESH AND FANTASY (1943) brimming with special extras.

But there are still a lot of outstanding titles that can be selected (not to mention titles previously released on the problematic doubleside DVD 18s) so I am sure we haven't seen the last of these.

Jeff T.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Yeah, whats not to like about Best Buy exclusives, ehh?

Except you can't buy them if you live outside of the US. And the releases are invisible to all those people who don't ever look at Best Buy. And there's no price competition. And all the copies get bought up by scalpers to resell them at outrageous prices on Ebay and MarketPlace to all the poor sods who can't get them at Best Buy. And Best Buy are rubbish at selling them anyway, since they do things like not advertising them, not putting them for sale on their website, or putting them on the website with stupid and obscure titles that make them impossible to find. And the frontline stores are even worse since their stock system is dire, the staff know nothing about DVD releases, and the shelf stackers put titles in pretty much random places like shoving the sci-fi collection in with the action kung-fu movies.

Aside from all this, Best Buy exclusives are just great. It's obviously well worth all that just to get a title onto one store shelf in the high street.

Balanced against little things like a strategy guaranteed to minimise sales and seriously piss off the consumer, it's an obvious winner!

Oh, and I was being sarcastic.

I guess there had to be someone out there who likes the "Best Buy exclusive!" crap. It makes a change from all the people I heard of so far who hate them.

Originally Posted by DeWilson

I'm all for a BEST BUY excusive before a release to general retail - it gets the stuff out on the shelf into a store. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's all relative to your situation, of course. BEST BUY has always worked for me because there are three in my immediate area, and it's very convenient to get to them and purchase my discs. It's actually the the easiest of all avenues for me. Of course, I wouldn't be happy if it was a situation that didn't work for me, so I can understand others' complaints. I didn't like it when some of the MGM Midnite Movies premiered in Canada only. And I still don't like that some of the '50s AIP stuff is not available in R1.

For what it's worth, the report said that the new set will be another exclusive, though not a Best Buy exclusive.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm being somewhat restrained in my optimism over this rumored set.

The rumors are really all over the place first it's coming 9/15, then it's not. It may not come out this year if they can't get it done in time. If not then either with Wolfman next year or next Halloween. Island of Lost Souls won't be in the set, Island of Souls may be in the set, etc, etc.

Not that I doubt the source but there's too many variables and "ifs" so I'm prepping for a disappointment.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Originally Posted by JeffT.

Since my initial message posting the previously listed AMAZON.COM and AMAZON.CA release date for the Universal Studios Home Entertainment UNIVERSAL HORROR MOVIE ARCHIVE 5-disc set has now been revised to October 20th, 2009 but still definitely coming out.
Actually, Amazon shipped my Classic Movie Archive set yesterday, so it looks like it's out.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'll be interested in knowing if it truly is a 5-disc set as the original Best Buy release was only two discs.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'll let you guys know as soon as mine comes in the mail. Looks to be a straight repack though.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
It (definitely) seems that the AMAZON.CA release is now scheduled for October 20th, 2009 which means another month yet go but since I wasn't really expecting this in the first place I will gladly wait for it.

At least one individual benefited from the news about the UNIVERSAL SCREEN HORROR CLASSIC ARCHIVES 5-disc set which is nice to know.

If the proposed unreleased Universal Pictures screen horror classics collection in not a BEST BUY exclusive then what else could it be?!

I am sure that THE MAD GHOUL (1943) is a likely selection to be selected for this (impending?) vintage screen horror classic collection.

Jeff T.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
An Amazon exclusive would be nice, especially for everyone not living in the States. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm confused reading this thread, sorry. I have UNIVERSAL HORROR MOVIE ARCHIVE on pre-order from Amazon.ca, but it sounds like all the discs were previously released? I don't have them, when were they released? Was it a US BEST BUY thing and now it's available for everyone?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Russell G

I'm confused reading this thread, sorry. I have UNIVERSAL HORROR MOVIE ARCHIVE on pre-order from Amazon.ca, but it sounds like all the discs were previously released? I don't have them, when were they released? Was it a US BEST BUY thing and now it's available for everyone?

That's it precisely. I've had it for a few years now, but I had to pick it up in person at my local Best Buy.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Originally Posted by Russell G

Precisely. Living outside of the USA, I had to jump through hoops to get this one - essentially, finding someone willing to trudge off to bloody Best Buy and buy the thing and then mail it to me. I think the poor chap had to try three different stores in the end, and finally found a copy shoved in with the kung fu movies.

The thought of another Best Buy exclusive feels me with horror. Or any exclusive really, unless it's with a decent outfit like Amazon. I bet it's not though: mor elikely, WalMart :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks