What's new

When Ego Brings the Downfall of a Talented Person... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Example: Kevin Costner (THE POSTMAN)
Your choice?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly, Micheal Cimino
That's the only time I've heard of it.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Let's see, Matt Chmiel has Rini Bell, NickSO has Mena Suvari, John Williamson has Ivana Milisevic, and Steve Gon has Emmanuelle Beart...who the hell do I have???
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
quote: ...ego cost her an Oscar nomination for "Evita"[/quote]
How so? Don't get me wrong, I'm not the world's biggest Madonna fan, but I do have to say I was rather impressed that she swallowed her ego and came to the ceremony to perform "You Must Love Me," despite the Best Actress nomination "snub."
I vote for Leonardo DiCaprio in this poll. What's Eating Gilbert Grape? shows a young actor of tremendous potential. Yes, now he's cashing the big paycheques, but doesn't have much in the way of great performances to brag about. He's getting older and will likely find himself out of work as he gets less and less pretty over time.
I'm not sure they were very "talented," but I still laugh at Denise Crosby and David Caruso for leaving their respective series to try to become "movie stars." That didn't work out, eh?
laugh.gif

------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
[Edited last by Rain on November 09, 2001 at 01:24 PM]

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I wonder how long it will be before someone yells the name....Caruso.
AH ya bastard Rain!
------------------
-Kevin M.
I can brave the nastiest weather, even when it's eighty below.
My Pa was an Elephant, but that's irrelevant,
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.
[Edited last by Kevin M on November 09, 2001 at 01:33 PM]
[Edited last by Kevin M on November 09, 2001 at 01:34 PM]

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I still laugh at Denise Crosby and David Caruso for leaving their respective series to try to become "movie stars." That didn't work out, eh?
Depends what they were looking for. Caruso's IMDB entry isn't terribly impressive since "NYPD Blue", granted, but Crosby's had steadier, more varied work than most of her castmates on TNG. If I recall correctly, she left because it didn't seem like fulfilling work.

Dave L

Stunt Coordinator
------------------------------------------------------------
...ego cost her an Oscar nomination for "Evita"
------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>How so? Don't get me wrong, I'm not the world's biggest Madonna fan, but I do have to say I was rather impressed that she swallowed her ego and came to the ceremony to perform "You Must Love Me," despite the Best Actress nomination "snub."

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Dave, I always assumed that Madonna didn't get nominated because of the Academy's long standing and unspoken "blacklist" of rock/pop musicians in acting roles.
In my opinion, Bjork was snubbed for Dancer in the Dark, as was Courtney Love for The People vs. Larry Flynt.
I suppose Cher would be the exception to the rule, though.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
[Edited last by Rain on November 09, 2001 at 01:50 PM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Eddie Murphy. He's just not funny anymore and hasn't been for over 10 years. Every time I see him in an interview it's as if he's God's gift to the world.
It's a shame, I used to like Eddie.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493
[Edited last by Tom_G on November 11, 2001 at 09:02 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks