What's new

What's this about a Spaceballs Special Edition? (1 Viewer)

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Going back to my original news post that started this thread...
"Other big releases on disc to look out for this year are special editions of "Spaceballs", "Amadeus", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Jerry Maguire", " The Color Purple", "Blue Velvet", "Glengarry Glenn Ross" and "Thelma & Louise". "Speed: 5-Star Collection" is on the way, as is "Frank Herbert's Dune: Special Edition", "Reservoir Dogs: 10th Anniversary Edition", and "It' a Wonderful Life: SE"."
All of the other Special Editions have made it to DVD, if I'm recalling correctly. All of them, except Spaceballs, that is. Has it been indefinitely canned? Still in production or planning of some type?
And Vince, been a while, but did you ever find that sequel script/treatment? :)

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I was so close to buying this DVD recently but I held off since the transfer is non-anamorphic and there's no extras. The SE will be sweet and since we got the SE of Blazing Saddles, maybe Mel Brooks can devote his time to Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
its only $10. I bought it a while back. I'm not stressing $10. for such a classic film. and its not like I wont buy a film twice if its worth it (assuming they do an SE). like the up adn comming 10th anniversary of Clerks dvd. gonna snag that one and give my old copy to a well deserving freind probably.

A sequil would be so great, especially since Star Wars is back on top with the prequils. lots of new stuff to rip-up

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I would definately double-dip for this baby! I could just see as a bonus:

Episode 2: The Search for More Money - but animated!

Ryan

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I was so close to buying this DVD recently but I held off since the transfer is non-anamorphic and there's no extras.
There's a commentary, a trailer, and a featurette, IIRC. It's basically "Spaceballs: The Laserdisc in convenient 5 inch disc form"

Regards,

John*P

Second Unit
Heh, the ideas you guys have for a Spaceballs: SE DVD are brillant. :D I recently bought the current DVD version at Wal-Mart for $8.88. Strange thing is, mine didn't come with a booklet inside the case...and in some online reviews I've read, they said it came with one. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'd double-dip (I hate that term...we're buying DVDs, not eating potato chips!) on this one, it depends on the extras. I hope they do fix the visual problem with the nose gag, though. If they added more featurettes and/or commentaries, I hope Rick Moranis is involved this time.
Another movie that has been rumored to get the SE treatment is the Bill Murray classic, Stripes. I wonder what's going on with that title...?

Herschel

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone describe the nose gag issue? It's been years since I've seen the movie, and can't remember any nose gag right now.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Can someone describe the nose gag issue? It's been years since I've seen the movie, and can't remember any nose gag right now.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=15585
I chimed in on this discussion last year. Between the nose issue, and the off-kilter "May The Schwartz Be With You" tag at the end, I'd love to see a special edition of this movie. I'd definitely double-dip.
For the record, mine does contain the booklet/insert. I purchased mine last June at HMV.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It's been announced by MGM! :D
"MGM has announced a two-disc collector's edition of Spaceballs which stars the likes of Mel Brooks, John Candy, Rick Moranis, Bill Pullman and Daphne Zuniga. The film will be available to own in shops from the 3rd May this year, and should retail at around $29.98 in total. The film itself will be presented in anamorphic widescreen along with both English DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. Extras will include a commentary by Mel Brooks, Spaceballs: The Documentary, a John Candy: Comic Spirit feature, a Storyboard to Film comparison, In Conversation: Mel Brooks and Thomas Meehan, some Film Flubs, spacequotes, Spaceballs: The Behind-the-Movie Photos, Spaceballs: The Costume Gallery and Spaceballs: The Art Gallery. Completing this new package will be an Exhibitor Trailer With Mel Brooks Introduction and the films original theatrical trailer."
http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...5657&n=1&burl=

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Well hot damn. This is a surprise. Since I posted in this thread a couple of years ago, I'd given up.
I wonder if it has something to do with me almost-buying a copy of the current DVD from a friend? Nah. Couldn't be... I didn't actually buy the thing. :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I wonder if Spaceballs: The 2-Disc Special Edition will reach Plaid levels of sales? :D
The SE will be sweet and since we got the SE of Blazing Saddles, maybe Mel Brooks can devote his time to Spaceballs and Young Frankenstein.
Young Frankenstein just needs a 16x9 remaster. It's LOADED with extras... and to be honest, the 4x3 letterboxed video on the DVD is excellent.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I shoulda known, since I just got the last release for Christmas! Now when are we gonna finally get High Anxiety?

Ric

Joe:C

Second Unit
I believe there's another thread somewhere that mentions a special edition of High Anxiety is coming.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I'll be picking this one up. I actually bought the old release last year. I wonder when we'll see Robin Hood:Men in Tights?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I hope it has the TV spot where a big "SPACE" rolls across the screen and Mel steps out, looks at it and yells WHERE'S THE BALLS!?!?, which then fall into place as Mel quietly says something like "ah that's better". :D

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
This is amazing news. I very rarely ever double-dip but I'm going to make an exception in this case. This is by far one of my favorite comedies ever, so I'm glad MGM is finally doing right by it. It'll be great to see all of those extras!

Now if Fox can only release "Robin Hood: Men In Tights", I'll be ecstatic.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Hopefully MGM has corrected the matte-framing of the Super35 presentation. Princess Vespa's nose can't be seen in widescreen, but can on the full-screen version on the original disc (unchanged since the original LD's).

Will the MB commentary be new, or just ported again?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks