What's new

What's the easiest way to see what folder's I've shared? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Being in a lot of hotels and other wifi areas I always try to keep everything I've got locked down tight. I try not to share anything, but I'm constantly amazed how many other shared folders pop up in my finder and do my best to not go snooping. Just tonight I saw one pop up as I plugged in and for whatever reason I decided to click on it, the guy had his whole desktop directory and a bunch of folders below it shared, including music and movies. And some not so well hidden private stuff was in the movies directory I should add =P

But the reason I ask, is that it seems that Dropbox by default wants to put a public directory up, and it uses the machine owner's name for the shared roll up. Last thing I need is any name of my machine showing due to dropbox, let alone my full name. So without having a second machine to pop onto the network (other than an iPhone in a pinch), how do I see what I'm leaking?

Any ideas for locking down tighter in general on OSX would be appreciated.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I should add this: Under the sharing preferences panel everything is unchecked, and my machine name is greyed out, and it has a fake name in it anyway. I mostly want to make sure that by using Dropbox I'm not leaking something I'm unaware of.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DropBox is a big target for shares. On OSX, most of the other targets are linked to iTunes holding open shares. Since those two don't use traditional share methods, they can (and have been) hacked, but it takes more effort then most people will put forward.. especially when so many people (no matter what the platform) leave large swaths of files shared with the "everyone" flag..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks