What's new

whats the best 5.1 speaker bundle sub $1000 (1 Viewer)

Ozwald

Auditioning
hi,

my roomate is looking to buy a 5.1 system. He isn't the audiophile that i am, so spending 1000 on a pair of speakers is out of the question. I was wondering what you guys think is the best 5.1 bundle under a 1000 dollars. Thanks for the help.

aaron

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ozwald, have your roommate take a look at the Energy Take 5.2 system. It sells for around $800. Since you guys live on the left coast, check it out at Good Guys. I listened to the original Take 5 system (the previous version of the 5.2) last year when I was speaker shopping and was very impressed with it for the price. In the end, I felt the Take 5 set-up was lacking for music, but that is usually the case with satellite speakers. The Take 5 system was quite good for home theater, however. I ended up buying a more expensive Energy e:XL system that was better for music and home theater. Still, the Take 5 system was very good for the price.

When it comes to sub-$1000 single-box packages, the Energy Take 5 system always seems to come up in conversation. However, some on this Forum have recommended a similar system by Polk. There are many such systems to consider.

I just thought of an alternative to the Take 5.2 set-up. If pricing of the Energy e:XL product line is the same in your area as I've seen at three dealers on the east coast, you could get the following system for $1000:

Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers as mains: $250/pair

Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers as surrounds: $250/pair

Energy e:XL-C center speaker: $200

Energy e:XL-S8 8" subwoofer: $300

This e:XL system will significantly outperform the Take 5.2 system. I use e:XL 16s as my mains and surrounds, and they are quite good for the price. The e:XL-C is also a good center speaker for the price. I used to use it, but I recently traded it in for the e:XL-C2 ($350). The e:XL-S8 subwoofer is actually the subwoofer that Energy supplies with the Take 5.2 system. I have the e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer, but I have listened to the e:XL-S8, and it is a good subwoofer. All in all, if your roommate can get the above e:XL package for $1000, I'd say get it in a heartbeat over the Take 5.2 system. Good Guys should have the e:XL speakers.

Note that the e:XL speakers are sold piecemeal, and if your roommate is going to consider that route, there are a lot of brands to consider. Anyway, I am very happy with the e:XL series.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I thought about that as I read Ozwald's post, but I assumed he meant speakers only when he said that $1000 for a pair of stereo speakers was out of the question. I took a 5.1 bundle to mean a one-box speaker package like the Energy Take 5.2.

Ozwald

Auditioning
clarification:

just the speakers, already have the dvd player, tv, and reciever. thanks again for the help.

aaron

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
If you are luck you may be able to get the upgrade to the Energy Encores for that price online. Try Yahoo.com shopping.

Jin E

Second Unit
Home Theater Direct LevelIII system. Nice speakers... great price. You will find them reviewed favorably, I have yet to hear a real negative comment about them. Here are several people on the forum with these speakers... maybe they can chime in.

John Gates

Second Unit
For $1000, consider the nOrh ceramic 4.0 package (5 x nOrh 4.0) for $850 (or wood for $775) and a Sony SA-WM40. If he can come up a couple of hundred, consider ditching the Sony for an SVS, Adire, or HSU sub.

I believe Ascend Accoustics sells the CBM-170 package with an HSU subwoofer in the $1100 range.

Just listened to the Axiom M3Ti the other day, and they are an EXCELLENT value at $275/pair, though I felt the wood nOrh 4.0 were a bit more refined.

Home Theater Direct level III, ACI, and Swan Diva are also worth checking out, though I don't think you could get Swans for sub $1000.

Have fun!

John

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I've got the nOrh 4.0 package and I've heard the Sony sub. That combo might work okay, but I suspect that sub just wouldn't do the nOrh's justice. I'd consider doing this instead:

pair norh wood 4.0s - $300 (Xmax special)

shielded norh wood 4.0 - $175 (Xmas special)

pair norh 3.0s - $150

Adire Rava - $400 + shipping

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If you don't mind going USED, you can get better gear for $1000. Look for Paradigm or def tech speakers on ebay. Otherwise, the energy take5 is probably your best bet. I would personally, get the 3 front and a sub. Then add the surrounds later as $$$ permits.

My suggestions would be"

Paradigm mini-monitors

Paradigm CC-370 (matching center)

SVS 25-31cs(if you have an amp)

or, Adire Audio Rava(if you don't have the amp)

That's about $1000 NEW. Go used on the paradigms and you may score the surrounds too for $1000.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Second Ryan's suggestion. The wood 4.0s are much better than most of the speakers out there around that price range. He can upgrade the 3.0s at a later time with either another pair of wood 4.0s or upgrade the mains to wood or synthetic marble 5.1s or ceramic or marble 4.0s.

OTOH, the ceramic 4.0 package with the Sony sub would work. However, the Sony sub would be next up for being upgraded.

Bang for the buck and keeping the system long term, the nOrh/Adire, Paradigm/Adire, or Ascend/HSU packages are the way to go.

Kevin N

Stunt Coordinator
I would also take a look at the Definitive Technology ProCinema 80.6 system. It's a significant upgrade in sound from the Energy Take series, imo. I haven't heard the other speaker sets mentioned so I can't comment. At that price, not being an audiophile, I'm sure he'll be blown away by any of these sets for months. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks