What's new

What's on Amazon's exclusive R&H musicals box set? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I searched for an existing thread on this topic, but can't find one. If there already is one, apologies.

Amazon recently started taking preorders for a Rodgers & Hammerstien Collection Blu-ray box set, which it says includes South Pacific in theatrical and road-show editions, Todd-AO and Cinemascope versions of Oklahoma!, plus Carasouel, The King and I, the 1945 State Fair and The Sound of Music on an 8-disc set.

It doesn't say what's on there in terms of supplmental features and/or if it's missing anything from the DVDs (or how it compares to the existing Blu-ray editions of The Sound of Music and South Pacific.)http://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Hammerstein-Collection-Exclusive-Blu-ray/dp/B00IZIGFNU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396127582&sr=1-1&keywords=rodgers+and+hammerstein+collection

Does anyone know anything or - because I know studio people sometimes read this board - care to enlighten us? The 1962 State Fair, which is on the DVD, is not accounted for.

I would really like to get this, but if it is missing extras from the previous version(s) and there is likely to be a double dip in the future, I'd rather wait. Amazon is selling it for $73.99 as a deal of the week, but that is still pretty expensive (although fair for the number of movies you get.) But If I'm going to drop that amount of money on this set, I'd like to do it only one time (especially since I already own four copies of The Sound of Music, including the existing Blu-ray.)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
JakeLip said:
I searched for an existing thread on this topic, but can't find one. If there already is one, apologies.

Amazon recently started taking preorders for a Rodgers & Hammerstien Collection Blu-ray box set, which it says includes South Pacific in theatrical and road-show editions, Todd-AO and Cinemascope versions of Oklahoma!, plus Carasouel, The King and I, the 1945 State Fair and The Sound of Music on an 8-disc set.

It doesn't say what's on there in terms of supplmental features and/or if it's missing anything from the DVDs (or how it compares to the existing Blu-ray editions of The Sound of Music and South Pacific.)http://www.amazon.com/Rodgers-Hammerstein-Collection-Exclusive-Blu-ray/dp/B00IZIGFNU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396127582&sr=1-1&keywords=rodgers+and+hammerstein+collection

Does anyone know anything or - because I know studio people sometimes read this board - care to enlighten us? The 1962 State Fair, which is on the DVD, is not accounted for.

I would really like to get this, but if it is missing extras from the previous version(s) and there is likely to be a double dip in the future, I'd rather wait. Amazon is selling it for $73.99 as a deal of the week, but that is still pretty expensive (although fair for the number of movies you get.) But If I'm going to drop that amount of money on this set, I'd like to do it only one time (especially since I already own four copies of The Sound of Music, including the existing Blu-ray.)
I totally agree with you. Who wants another Sound Of music and South Pacific which are already on bluray. The remake of State Fair was not as good as the original so that is does not matter for me. Maybe they can include it on a Pat Boone set in the future? What about CINDERELLA on bluray? It is surely one of R&H's best musicals.There are already several versions on dvd.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
cinerama10 said:
I totally agree with you. Who wants another Sound Of music and South Pacific which are already on bluray. The remake of State Fair was not as good as the original so that is does not matter for me. Maybe they can include it on a Pat Boone set in the future? What about CINDERELLA on bluray? It is surely one of R&H's best musicals.There are already several versions on dvd.
"Cinderella" was a made-for-TV production and never done theatrically...that's why it's NOT on this box set...

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
lukejosephchung said:
"Cinderella" was a made-for-TV production and never done theatrically...that's why it's NOT on this box set...
Actually the piece was performed theatrically in London in 1958 (the year after it was first telecast), which interpolated some songs from "Me and Juliet" into the score; and has since received its official Broadway debut, in 2013, but I'm splitting hairs.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
classicmovieguy said:
Actually the piece was performed theatrically in London in 1958 (the year after it was first telecast), which interpolated some songs from "Me and Juliet" into the score; and has since received its official Broadway debut, in 2013, but I'm splitting hairs.
By theatrically, I was referring to cinematically for the big screen...but I'd love to see this come out in a brand spanking new R&H production in this manner...

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
lukejosephchung said:
By theatrically, I was referring to cinematically for the big screen...but I'd love to see this come out in a brand spanking new R&H production in this manner...
The new version, with book by Douglas Carter Beane, has been made politically correct. If a PC Cinderella is your cup of tea, go for it. If not, don't.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Musically-wise it's an absolute dream, though. I appreciate the efforts to give Cinderella herself something of a backbone. At least in the 1957 version, with a book written by Hammerstein, Cinderella was proactive in her own destiny. The later 1965 version with Lesley Ann Warren reduced Cinderella to your average damsel-in-distress.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
cinerama10 said:
The remake of State Fair was not as good as the original so that is does not matter for me. Maybe they can include it on a Pat Boone set in the future?
Are you joking? Pat Boone didn't have DVD set. What chance is there he'll have a Blu-ray set?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
classicmovieguy said:
Musically-wise it's an absolute dream, though. I appreciate the efforts to give Cinderella herself something of a backbone. At least in the 1957 version, with a book written by Hammerstein, Cinderella was proactive in her own destiny. The later 1965 version with Lesley Ann Warren reduced Cinderella to your average damsel-in-distress.
I'm not a fan of Joseph Schrank's version in 1965 either (though the earlier Cinderella-Prince meeting with "Loneliness of Evening" added was an excellent touch), but it's vastly better than Beane's PC bowdlerizing. As for the extra songs, there's a reason why R&H let them stay obscure, or cut them from the shows they were in originally.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
classicmovieguy said:
The '57 Julie Andrews "Cinderella" exists only as a kinescope and wouldn't look good at all on Blu-ray.
There is a process called LiveFeed that removes the kinescope effect, but I don't think it existed when the DVD came out.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Rick Thompson said:
I'm not a fan of Joseph Schrank's version in 1965 either (though the earlier Cinderella-Prince meeting with "Loneliness of Evening" added was an excellent touch), but it's vastly better than Beane's PC bowdlerizing. As for the extra songs, there's a reason why R&H let them stay obscure, or cut them from the shows they were in originally.
I think Hammerstein's original book was the wittiest, tightest of all three of the TV versions. The one thing which makes it stand out, more than the rest, is the treatment of Cinderella's Fairy Godmother. In Hammerstein's version she is Cinderella's real, everyday godmother, and only reveals herself as magical when Cinderella's wishes become so strong that they can no longer be denied her.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Rick Thompson said:
. As for the extra songs, there's a reason why R&H let them stay obscure, or cut them from the shows they were in originally.
Except for "There's Music in You". The 2013 Broadway adaptation uses this song so beautifully, bolstering Cinderella at her lowest emotional ebb. Very much like "You'll Never Walk Alone" or "Climb Ev'ry Mountain".

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Where do we place the 16mm b&w film of the London cast of South Pacific? I have this on DVD somewhere but the quality is somewhat a question of what show is that because of the poor visuals. I assume the original film is with the R&H collection and much much better visual quality.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
moviepas said:
Where do we place the 16mm b&w film of the London cast of South Pacific? I have this on DVD somewhere but the quality is somewhat a question of what show is that because of the poor visuals. I assume the original film is with the R&H collection and much much better visual quality.
You assume wrong. It has never been released for the public to buy on disc or video..See if you can spot Sean Connery in his stage debut. I also have a copy..It is up to the R&H estate whether they will ever release it along with all their other filmed stage shows.This probably includes the original New York production..I would like to also to see the 1967 Broadway revival with Florence Henderson at the State Theater in Lincoln centre..It was the first Broadway show that I ever saw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks