What's new

What was the most expensive set you ever purchased? (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I paid almost $250.00 for the entire Sky King a few years ago. Other sets I have paid over 100.00 for include Thunderbirds, The Man From U.N.C.L.E,, Get Smart , The Six Million Dollar Man and Perry Mason. The grandaddy was a set I picked off from a "Trading Site" for almost $700.00! :eek: I won't say what series this is but it ran for 19 seasons when it ran originally, and when it was syndicated it was "split" into three versions (Which left out four seasons) :angry: I FINELY got to see those four "Lost Seasons after getting this set! :D

What shows did you paid a wad for? This counts only for ENTIRE Series, not ones where you purchased seasons one at a time. Post away Amigos! :cheers:

PS, I plan to fork over about $250.00 for Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In later this summer!

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
About four years ago I spent $325 for Zorro seasons 1 and 2. I had never done anything like that before, and I don't envision anything I would ever do that for going forward. But that was just a series I had to have in the right way. And I don't regret it all. In some ways it has enhanced my enjoyment of the show.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The most expensive one I ever got was Shout!'s all-in-one of The Bob Newhart Show, at $96.97 (basically $97).

The next most was Shout!'s all-in-one of Barney Miller, at $92.69 (basically $93).

Both of those were through Amazon.

tlc38tlc38

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent
Official: "Mama's Family" from Time-Life/Star Vista's website (not sure of the exact price but it was pretty pricey)

"The Carol Burnett Show": ultimate collection set from Time-Life was also pricey.

Unofficial: I own several complete years (1995-2005) of "Days of our Lives" on DVD. Each year cost between $75-$100 each.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Unofficial: I own several complete years (1995-2005) of "Days of our Lives" on DVD. Each year cost between $75-$100 each.

Homebrews (by which I mean, someone just put the episodes together on a DVD release and sold them for that price)?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Get Smart - I purchased it directly from Time-Life when, after over a year, it looked like it wasn't getting the wide release that had been said to be coming. I used a coupon, it was on sale, and I paid $150. 6 months later it came out in individual seasons, minus the bonus discs that I've still never bothered watching. Had I waited I could have picked it up for $60.

I've purchased others that cost more, but they were all done as individual seasons. I've paid no more than $80 for any other complete series box set and that includes BR sets of Star Trek, Star Trek: TNG, Battlestar Galactica (old and new), Lost in Space, Batman, DVD sets of Murder She Wrote, Frasier, Batman (yes I own it on DVD and BR), Monk, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Saint, Newhart, The Bob Newhart Show, Green Acres, and many others.

The most expensive of all, however, was a VHS set of Star Trek:TOS purchased as individual episodes from Columbia House. It was more expensive than I care to admit (around $11/episode IIRC). I paid less to purchase TOS on DVD twice, BR once, TNG on DVD and BR, DS9 on DVD, Voyager on DVD, TAS on DVD and BR, Enterprise on DVD and BR, and all the movies on DVD and BR, all added together.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
BATMAN: THE COMPLETE TELEVISION SERIES (1966 - 68). This "Italian" Blu-ray series set (Also my first ever overseas order, although it was via Amazon Canada Marketplace!), set me back just a shade under $100 in the spring of 2015. In my opinion, it was well worth every Bat penny!

CHEERS! :)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
BATMAN: THE COMPLETE TELEVISION SERIES (1966 - 68). This "Italian" Blu-ray series set (Also my first ever overseas order, although it was via Amazon Canada Marketplace!), set me back just a shade under $100 in the spring of 2015. In my opinion, it was well worth every Bat penny!

CHEERS! :)

Glad you've been enjoying it!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Probably the most expensive legit DVD set I have purchased is the Fabulous Films R2 release of the complete Alfred Hitchcock Hour, bought along with S7 of Hitchcock Presents and S1 as well...about $265 U.S., before they were discounted further and before the Pound Sterling made it's big drop against the American (and Canadian) dollar...and before Universal decided to give Season 1 a single sided R1 reissue, of course...

Another pricey one for me was Madman's R4 completion of McCloud...Shout's The Saint complete series at nearly MSRP...and I also witlessly paid full freight for The Fugitive Most Wanted Edition, after flipping my lid at the inconceivable CBS botch job on the complete series release...this before the replacement program for the botched up set was established with mailing out the Most Wanted Edition as a superior and completely unexpected "substitute"...oh, well...still glad that miserable saga was at an end, finally...

Probably my most expensive "alternative" DVD set was for a mid sixties Fox produced war series...very pricey, but of a surprisingly superior and uncut presentation for a show that will never get a licensed official release...a few other long run alternative sets have been nearly as expensive, but of wildly variable quality, some nearly as good as a studio release...with a number of bad and unreadable discs too...

But I know I spent much, much, more during the film collecting and VHS duping era!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One more of the most expensive releases I ever got was the first release (the only one here, sadly) of The Fall Guy-- IIRC, that was the most expensive seasonal I ever got ($59.99, so basically $60); I got it at the Borders in Annapolis, MD in Christmas shopping w/my sister and nephew in 2007. I was so glad to be there that I didn't even realize how much I was paying, nor that Borders was apparently MSRP-only. I did finish that release though, but I'll never forget that moment.

To add insult to injury, the IMDB forums at the time seemed to suggest that I shouldn't have gotten it, owing to the unmentioned musical replacement (I say that because Fox said nothing on the packaging about that and other editing, according to the Fall Guy message board).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
ST:TNG S1 at Sam's Club when it first came out on DVD. I'll never forget: $88.88, and that was a lot of dough for this guy way back then.

Now, I think you can get the complete series in HD for that....
Not quite-- the Blu all-in-one goes for more like $108 (used from $100).
Yes, you can. I paid ~$65 for a region free set from Amazon.uk about a year ago. At the current price you can pick up a copy for $80-$85 US, shipped. The only difference between it and the US version is the outer box and the labeling on the box and discs.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
The grandaddy was a set I picked off from a "Trading Site" for almost $700.00! :eek: I won't say what series this is but it ran for 19 seasons when it ran originally, and when it was syndicated it was "split" into three versions (Which left out four seasons) :angry: I FINELY got to see those four "Lost Seasons after getting this set! :D
Lassie?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Easily the Dark Shadows complete original series coffin set... I ordered it in Oct 2015, on sale, for $225.

The other more pricey sets have been--

The Batman '66 DVD set, pre-ordered it for $135.

The Combat! set, on a sale, for $130.

Recently, the complete Perry Mason, for $111.

I got the Land of the Giants set for $100 on another sale.

The WKRP in Cincinnati
set, another pre-order, for $98. Same price for a pre-order of Boris Karloff's Thriller.

Upstairs Downstairs, on another sale, for $87

Lost in Space (Blu-ray) for $75.

Outer Limits (original): Season 1
(Blu-ray) pre-order, $73.39 (still a chance it may drop a bit, via Amazon price guarantee).

I think I paid $60-$64 for M Squad, but I'm not entirely certain. I remember I got it for below its list price.

And the Barney Miller set for $59.

Everything else has been below $50, usually under $30.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks