What's new

What was the last "Classic" movie made? (Pre-1970 era) (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I was watching "Lawrence of Arabia" and it sturck me that this might have been the last "Classic" movie of that era. "Lawrence" was made in 1962. The following year "Cleopatra" came out. That was a legendary disaster. As far as I can recall, the next epic movie that came out that has had any staying power was "The Godfather." That was 10 YEARS later. Was it really that long? Am I missing some movies in between? And, in my opinion, "The Godfather is from a different era than "Lawrence."

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The Bond films go as far back as '62. Are they "classics" in the same way "Lawrence of Arabia", "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "The Godfather" are classics? Obviously not but they obviously have "staying power" and I'd still call them classics in their own way, several of them, at least.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Would Easy Rider qualify? I think 2001 certainly does.

So would Dr. Strangelove.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Planet of the Apes

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
The Good, the Bad and The Ugly is a great one. I was thinking more along the line of the way a film was directed. For example, In "Lawrence" there was a lot of fighting, but very little blood shown. That was just the way it was done in those days. Same thing with "The Good...." As great as 2001 is, it was a bit on the experimental side. I am not a film student (hint hint to the film students) but 2001 was a very different movie for its day. It is STILL a very different movie. I think of 2001 as a transitional movie between two eras of movie making. The first time I saw it, I couldn't believe that it was made in 68.
The Bond films are ... well, the Bond films. Grab some popcorn and have fun.
"Easy Rider" What are you smoking? (hahahaha) It is a story about an epic journey, so in that sense it fits my mold. On the other hand, Hopper directed it which makes it pretty unique. I just can't imagine Captain America being played by a classically trained actor.
The Graduate is one that I think fits the bill. If that film was made today, the sex scenes would be much more explicit. Maybe this one is a transitional film too.
Ummmm, I've never seen "Once upon a time..." Ohh the shame.
Thanks for the discussion.

Spartacus was a film that broke the mould of blacklisting that had defined Hollywood for so long, by crediting its previously blacklisted screenwriter. You could say the golden age of Hollywood ended with Spartacus. The 60's were an unusual decade too. The blockbusters, like The Great Escape, weren't as predictable as the 50's ones. I think it probably took until 1970 for it to die, though, according to that doco A Decade Under the Influence (ie, the 70's). That was the decade where the studios had no idea what would sell, so there was so much less homogoneity in them, to put it mildly. To find the last "classic" hollywood title, you could try scanning the Oscars 67-69. West Side Story is a good example of a really late title with that innocent classicism, rich use of colour that defined most of our favourite classics of the colour era.
Edited by Ben Cheshire - 8/19/2009 at 05:53 pm GMT

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Ben, I like the term "Innocent Classicism." Is that something you made up or is that an acedemic term? I think that is what my question was driving at; the innocence that seems no longer to be allowed. Your example is perfect. Can you imagine "West Side Story" being released today? It would be a financial disaster.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
1969 produced both Midnight Cowboy and Butch Cassidy. I think they both would qualify.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Saving Private Ryan.

All four times I saw it, nobody said anything after the lights came up. It was that powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks