What's new

What TV series should have a making of book? (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Some more:
Cheers
My Little Margie
Topper
Lassie
Life Of Riley
Dr Kildare/ Ben Casey
Cheyenne
December Bride
Jackie Cooper television; People’sChoice/ Hennesey
Danny Thomas Show
I have two Cheers books, although both were published during the show's run, so neither is "complete." Neither is that great either.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have two Cheers books, although both were published during the show's run, so neither is "complete." Neither is that great either.

And I have that Dallas book from 1986 by Suzy Kalter; however, IMO, even though this was put out during the show's run on CBS, I still think (I have another book about Dallas from 2004, by Barbara Curran, that came out around the time of the Return to Southfork reunion special) that the 1986 book by Suzy Kalter far outclasses the 2004 book.

I think this because the '86 book has plenty of great pictures sprinkled throughout, while the 2004 book has only one section of pictures in the middle, and is mostly text.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Would appreciate more material on some obscure fifties and sixties dramatic anthology series.

--jthree

ElPaBr

Agent
Real Name
Elaine Salisbury
I would like a Mister Peepers book (and the rest of the episodes on DVD).

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Hey Lou! I’m confused; you mentioned your book on Cheers but what does the list mean? Am always interested in material on the Danny Thomas Show!👍

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I would like to write a book on The Danny Thomas Show/Make Room for Daddy as there's never been one. It was always in the top 10 or so and ran 11 seasons. I just sent a Tweet to Marlo to ask her interest. I tried contacting Angela Cartwright to no answer. I'm a self-proclaimed maven and was obsessed with it growing up!
I think you're best bet is to not try to get the family involved, at least initially. Its a great idea. Get interviews with Pat Carroll and Sherry Jackson who are both still alive but who knows for how much longer. Do that ASAP. Then go from there. You could probably talk to Anne Archer about her mom, Marjorie Lord and Danny's 3 children are still alive but I would approach them last after you've got something substantial already done.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ian:

I completely concur with all five of your series picks that would be excellent fodder for a book and especially like The Defenders sitting at #1. It is exceptional legal drama series that certainly deserves more publicity and recognition. My hope would be that any book published about the series would stir enough interest to possibly gets season 2, 3, and 4 released on DVD, but on the other hand, given the current state of the publishing industry, I really wonder whether there would be any market for it outside existing fans of The Defenders.

I am very thankful that Shout brought us Season 1, but it is a real tragedy that the releases stalled after that.

Sean
I think rather than just The Defenders, a book on the works of Herbert Brodkin, which includes Playhouse 90, Brenner, The Nurses, For the People, Shane and Coronet Blue. Not to mention all of the TV movies that he did in the decades after.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I think rather than just The Defenders, a book on the works of Herbert Brodkin, which includes Playhouse 90, Brenner, The Nurses, For the People, Shane and Coronet Blue. Not to mention all of the TV movies that he did in the decades after.
Neil:

I wholeheartedly agree with you; a book covering Herbert Brodkin's work would be even better. Ever consider writing a book about the shows you like, Neil? You have quite a bit of expertise on the subject and contacts within the industry. Just sayin'....

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Neil:

I wholeheartedly agree with you; a book covering Herbert Brodkin's work would be even better. Ever consider writing a book about the shows you like, Neil? You have quite a bit of expertise on the subject and contacts within the industry. Just sayin'....
I do have a couple of ideas that I've been tossing around. Trying to digitize the collection next which will take up a lot of time, but if I can get myself motivated, it's something I'd like to do.

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Didn't think about the book vs internet issue.
I bought the yellow-colored I Love Lucy book when it came out, as well as the Taxi, The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents books.
I primarily bought them so I could mark off the episodes I just taped off television, though I of course did enjoy reading anything related to the cast, crew and making of specific episodes.

In order to attract a larger audience, what would possibly work a little better in book form nowadays, is a large coffee table-style studio-themed book...Warner Westerns, Universal Medical Shows, or even Dramas or Comedies by decade, whether by specific studio or not.
Studio-specific might encourage a studio to get more involved in the book.

What would surely make me a buyer is if they included a lot of production behind the scenes stills...cameras, crew, ladders, backs of sets, either at eye or elevated level, especially ones we haven't seen.

Above the picture would give an explanation, underneath the picture would contain some sort of legalese to alert the reader exactly who owns the photo, the studio or the surviving family members, so as to curtail some from scanning and posting them online.

Shows that shot exterior scenes might show or tell where it was filmed.

Granted, lots of the actors from older stuff are no longer with us to give interviews, but some of the daily production notes still exist...what stage/address of location, what actors, how many extras etc.
Photos of those or notes and quotes from them could be used.

I saw some at Warner a couple of decades ago from a pretty popular film of the seventies, that had the daily production schedules, as well as separate notes from the director etc, all together in a file box, wherein I read something to the effect of:
'the main actors name here held up production today because he stayed home claiming he was getting the sniffles, which might then develop into a cold'!
However it was actually worded, it accused him of playing hooky at the cost of the production company, since the next day, he was not absent.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I do have a couple of ideas that I've been tossing around. Trying to digitize the collection next which will take up a lot of time, but if I can get myself motivated, it's something I'd like to do.
Well, as the person who introduced me to such great tv series as The Defenders, Bus Stop, East Side/West SIde, The Nurses, Coronet Blue, and many others, Neil I am most grateful...and will purchase your book on such shows on the first day of publication! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks