What's new

What TV series should have a making of book? (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I would like to write a book on The Danny Thomas Show/Make Room for Daddy as there's never been one. It was always in the top 10 or so and ran 11 seasons. I just sent a Tweet to Marlo to ask her interest. I tried contacting Angela Cartwright to no answer. I'm a self-proclaimed maven and was obsessed with it growing up!
Looking forward to that book and reliving those Monday evenings with the Williams family.
Maybe your book will spur interest in the show and lead to someone releasing further seasons on DVD.

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern
Looking forward to that book and reliving those Monday evenings with the Williams family.
Maybe your book will spur interest in the show and lead to someone releasing further seasons on DVD.
Never heard back from Marlo or Angela Cartwright!

his1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Howard Ian Stern

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Thinking about this more.

Could a book of conceptual artwork from these 90s era cartoons, be viable today? Perhaps if it is sold through the comic book channels?

I'm guessing the audience for such a title, might be the hardcore comic book collector types.
This may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, so if so, I'm sorry.

One way to find some of this behind the scenes conceptional art is to find out who the artist was and then look them up on-line.

In 2019, my wife and I spent all four days at Emerald City Comic Con and I stumbled upon Keith Tucker - who I admit having no idea who he was. But he did so much conceptional art for a lot of those 80s/90s comics. We bought a few sketchbooks he had - nice guy - did some signings and got an original sketch of Jem. I know he does a lot of comic cons but does have an on-line store as well (that doesn't seem to be as well stocked as his cons.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Well, I still think there should be "making of" books on the Disney Afternoon shows, including Gummi Bears, Ducktales, Rescue Rangers, with extended interviews with the writers and voice cast.

Same for Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain.

Jthree.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Never heard back from Marlo or Angela Cartwright!
Difficult to understand why-maybe either or both are working on their own bios? In any case, I’m still looking forward to your book.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Temple Houston, Time Tunnel, Carol Burnette Show, Lawman , Alias Smith And Jones: all those shows have books .
Bottom line: any show CAN have a book if someone cares enough to write it!!
Perusing Bear Manor Media site, I see that Hiram Halliday, Truth Or Consequences, and Great Gildersleeve all now have books!!!
Any show can have a book!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Perusing Bear Manor Media site, I see that Hiram Halliday, Truth Or Consequences, and Great Gildersleeve all now have books!!!
Any show can have a book!

The Great Gildersleeve!!! Might have to look into that. Think of all the unemployed English Majors who need to write books to gain some publication credits. Great idea.

--jthree

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Great Gildersleeve!!! Might have to look into that. Think of all the unemployed English Majors who need to write books to gain some publication credits. Great idea.

(Assuming this is not sarcasm or parody).

The problem with hiring such unemployed english / history majors, is that they might not have any intrinsic interest in what they are writing.

In practice, I've found that the absolute worst reading material is stuff written by folks who don't appear to have any interest in what they're writing. Especially when there's no proper fact checking being done.

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

The problem with hiring such unemployed english / history majors, is that they might not have any intrinsic interest in what they are writing.

In practice, I've found that the absolute worst reading material is stuff written by folks who don't appear to have any interest in what they're writing. Especially when there's no proper fact checking being done.
Sort of like an opera singer trying to sing a bluegrass song, reading it from the sheet music. It just doesn’t come out right!!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member

Bad grammar on my part. Should have used grammarly.com
==jthree

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
While many classic TV series have books written about how they came to be made and containg an episode guide within them (i.e. Doctor Who, Star Trek, Dark Shadows, The Fugitive, Perry Mason etc.) , many series have not had that special treatment. I would very much like to see abook written about some of these TV shows - 1. The Defenders. 2. Nowhere Man 3. Dr. Kildare 4. The High Chaparall 5. MY World and Welcome to It. There must be potential authors out there who could undertake such a task....
Ian:

I completely concur with all five of your series picks that would be excellent fodder for a book and especially like The Defenders sitting at #1. It is exceptional legal drama series that certainly deserves more publicity and recognition. My hope would be that any book published about the series would stir enough interest to possibly gets season 2, 3, and 4 released on DVD, but on the other hand, given the current state of the publishing industry, I really wonder whether there would be any market for it outside existing fans of The Defenders.

I am very thankful that Shout brought us Season 1, but it is a real tragedy that the releases stalled after that.

Sean

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I am very thankful that Shout brought us Season 1, but it is a real tragedy that the releases stalled after that.

OT-- I feel the same way about Marcus Welby, M.D.; I thought the demand would be there for all of that 1969-76 ABC medical series w/the late Robert Young in the title role, and James Brolin as Dr. Steven Kiley, but it's been two and out; dry spell since then.

Claude North

Second Unit
While many classic TV series have books written about how they came to be made and containg an episode guide within them (i.e. Doctor Who, Star Trek, Dark Shadows, The Fugitive, Perry Mason etc.) , many series have not had that special treatment. I would very much like to see abook written about some of these TV shows - 1. The Defenders. 2. Nowhere Man 3. Dr. Kildare 4. The High Chaparall 5. MY World and Welcome to It. There must be potential authors out there who could undertake such a task....
I would enjoy reading in-depth books about DESIGNING WOMEN and CYBILL, both of which were plagued by behind-the-scenes turmoil. I know there is quite a bit of information, rumor, and speculation scattered about the Internet, but I think definitive histories of both shows would be interesting, especially if the involved parties would be willing to participate. (In the case of DW, the deaths of Carter, Taylor, and Ghostley would diminish any such work.)

In recent years, oral histories of CHEERS and FRASIER have turned up in magazines (GQ and VANITY FAIR, respectively). I think either of the shows I mentioned would be candidates for this sort of treatment. I'm surprised that VF hasn't done one for CYBILL.

Fans of THREE'S COMPANY should check out Chris Mann's book, COME AND KNOCK ON OUR DOOR. It's a terrific history of the making of the series. With the exception of Priscilla Barnes, every regular cast member (and some recurring cast members) participated, as did many of the people who worked behind the scenes. The result is a thorough account of the show, from the first (of three!) pilot to THREE'S A CROWD.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Cast member bios and other tie-in books aside, these popular shows have never had an actual making-of book (but SHOULD):

Father Knows Best
Mannix
The Facts of Life

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks