What's new

What to do with $1500? (1 Viewer)

Benjamin H

Auditioning
I have the small dilemma of trying to decide on a new 2 channel stereo setup for my mother. I'm more knowledgeable of setups that would fall closer to the 5k range, but with a budget of $1500 I'd like as many suggestions as I can get. It is for an entire setup, but I'm posting this in the Speaker's Forum because that seems like it will likely be the largest expense.

Here are the details. She wants a 2-channel system to be able to listen to CD's and Vinyl (already have a turntable). At this point, she doesn't care to have it include home theater, but I think it would be nice to at least have it be HT capable for the future. The breakdown of components is below. Sincere thanks in advance for all the help

$1500:
Receiver
CD Player
Speakers (Mains x2)
Wiring
Entertainment center / Stand
Wiring

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

Yamaha RX-V1700 $499
Yamaha RX-V1700 910 Watts 7.1 Ch. A/V Home Theater

Oppo DV-981HD $229
OPPO DV-981HD 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI

(These speakers will put her a little over budget, but awesome speakers)

SVS MBS-01 - Bookshelf $999
SVSound - MTS Family of Speakers

Ascend Acoustics SIERRA-1 $848
Sierra-1 Bamboo Loudspeaker

www.bluejeanscable.com
www.monoprice.com

Best TV Stand and Mounting Solutions Store on the Internet, Stands and Mounts.com
Racks and Stands - Racks, Entertainment Centers, TV Stands

Or

Yamaha RX-V661
Yamaha RX-V661 910W 7.1 Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver

Mackie HR 824
Mackie - HR824

Buy Mackie HR824 Studio Monitor online at Musician's Friend

These are self powered studio monitors. You connect them like you would connect an amp with the pre-outs. The Mackie's are incredibly accurate. They will make bad recordings sound bad. But good recording sound excellent.

Benjamin H

Auditioning
Thanks for the insights. I must admit I haven't ever done much Yamaha demo-ing due to their reputation for being a bit on the bright side, but I'll give them a shot. Is that still the general consensus or has it changed with their more recent models?

Any other opinions are appreciated.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
As an alternative to what's been mentioned already, consider these speakers which are normally $719 a pair. Too bad the rosewood models are sold out. As for receivers, I guess Yamaha's are still considered to be a little bright but $499 for the 1700 would be hard to beat. Secondact.com and ac4l.com also have good prices on Denon and Marantz refurbs. I've had my eye on this one for quite some time. Might be a bit much to spend on electronics but I've always liked Marantz. Add an Oppo dvd player and this stand from Big Lots and it would be a very nice system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks