What's new

What receiver for strictly HT use? (1 Viewer)

Russ Stark

Auditioning
I am constructing a HT with a projector. I want a receiver purely for the HT surround sound. I am shooting for the full 7.1 but am confused when most receivers are listed 6.1 with 7.1 pre out. I assume I would have to purchase additional equipment to run in 7.1 ? Any clarification would be great. Also, many of the receivers don't have the THX seal of approval. Is this something I should search for with my purely HT system? Is it a format like DTS? I am considering the DA5ES, AVR3802, H/K 520Z, and the 1200. Price range under $1,000.

Chad T

Auditioning
I have a similar question but might be able to also help you answer yours.

Some background:
I have been tossed into the HT world in the last month or so. A good friend of mine works in the home automation industry and has put a Braco 808s in my hands for peanuts. I have been reading a bit about various recievers and speakers as well as talking in length with my buddy. I am very novice and my information is 2nd hand.

He said she said:
According to my installer friend, chasing THX certs is not worth while unless you plan on using certified equipment everywhere including room design. Its like installing a v10 viper engine in your station wagon. You also need to remember THX certification may not mean a setup is better then the another, it only means the equipment meets and has been certified to reproduce sound in a certain way (being vague so I don't over step my knowledge).

I do want to play music (for the moment just CD) through my setup. I don't think SACD will be an option right now and am not going to focus on it. I had been looking at the DA5ES, DA4ES and Denon 3802. I walked into the mag. hifi and started asking questions about the da5es and the salesperson steered me to the yamaha v1300. Can anyone compare the sony da5es and/or the da4es to the yammie v1300? I have noticed the sony seems to hold value better which may say something about its following and quality. Feature wise, the Yamaha seems to have a bit over the da5es.

Also, should I spend the money on speakers and wait on the receiver? I am trying to play in the $1500 - $2000 range for a reciever and speakers. Where would you put the bulk of the money? or would you split it?

Understanding I need to audition any setup I buy, I am still looking for opinions with reasoning.

If I stated something incorrectly please let me know.

Thanks for the help,
-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks