What's new

What makes an HT seat an HT seat??? Cupholders?! (1 Viewer)

RobertMc

Agent
Hi there guys,

I am pondering a future purchase of some new seats for my fairly recently completed HT room.

Currently, I have two old recliners in there which, apart from being unfashionable, difficult to operate, fading, fraying and uncomfortable - are okay.

I have viewed many of the threads about HT seating and the different styles & fabrics etc, but what I want to know is
:star: What makes them HT seats as opposed to a normal lazyboy or recliner?

Do the 'dedicated' HT seats have anything over and above normal recliners other than the seemingly prerequisite cupholders? Are they more comfortable? Do they reflect or absorb sound differently? Will they make the HT experience more realistic? Is the HT tag just 'hype' for the manufacturers?

Would I be scorned for just buying a couple of suitable lazyboy's without cupholders and using a side table for my beer?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
HT seats are usually modular where they can be connected and share an armrest between the seats like a real theater. Other than being a spacesaver, there's no real advantage to a standard recliner.

In fact, I had looked into just adding my own cupholders to a couch and calling it a HT couch. :D

Wayne_H

Auditioning
I'm comfort driven, so whatever feels best to you for movie viewing would be "HT seating" in my opinion. Plus you can mount sound transducers to just about any furniture and give it that over the "T-Rex stomping" HT reality!

Wayne

MikeHerbst

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Wayne. In the current iteration of our "theater" such as it is, HT Seating is the bean bag chair, because its the most comfortable seat we can currently muster.

Soon I'll be building a multirole office/guest room/movie parlor into a spare bedroom and the seating will be the most comfortable I can arrange given the varied demands of the room.

A "dedicated" room can make alternate seating decisions for comfort or visual aesthetics that I can't afford in my tiny house.

RobertMc

Agent
Do those people who have home theatre seats here, actually utilise the cupholder? (That is a serious question) And in general when you watch a film, what 'refreshments' does everyone consume?

For mine, it is usually a beer or glass of wine, and some nuts or such.

I am thinking that I might just sit down and try to design a 'middle console table' for between the seats/recliners. Something that may incorporate a hinged compartment to store the remotes when not in use, DVD covers, TV guide, and of course a flat top to sit drinks on.

Anyone built anything similar?

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
A "theater seat" should at a minimum have a low head rest so as not to block surround sound. They are typically best as recline only (ie. no rock or swivel). Most importantly they need to accommodate your ass for a couple hours at a time. ;)

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hey Robert...

I have two leather couches in my theatre and I use a good ole fashioned wooden tv tray that sits to the left of the couch out of viewing range. Holds everything I need for the room, including, remote, snacks, phone and bevies.

As for what I like to 'consume' in my theatre it actually depends on what I'm watching or with whom I'm watching.

Sports: I live in Canada - hockey is the only sport :) (however, I'm not watching that much hockey right now :frowning: ) So, it's usually beer and pizza or beer and salty snacks. My prefered choice is Creemore Springs Lager. An excellent microbrew located about an hour and half north of Toronto just south of Georgian Bay.

Drama: Hard liquor! Crown Royal and Canada Dry Gingerale is my fav, but any Rye will do :)

Comedy: Soft drinks... don't want to waste any of the good stuff if I'm lauging too hard.

Action: Again, usually beer because I'm usually watching these types with friends... makes it easier to serve.

That's about it... who else likes to drink certain things to certain genre's??

Cheers,
Andrew

RobertMc

Agent
Andrew & others

How to you find the leather sofa's to sit in for a couple of hours? I have thought about leather, but here in the humid tropics I have always thought that I would probably sweat too much and 'stick' to the seats a bit. I don't suppose this is a problem where you are in Canada...

Yep - I hate it when you laugh so much or the wrong way that drink comes out your nose!...It's bad enought witk Coke - I'd hate to waste a decent bourbon or whiskey that way either...It could be one way to get a 'head' on your beer though...:D

Rob,

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Robert,

Nope, no 'sticky' especially in the winter months that are soon approaching!! The summer can get a bit nasty sometimes, but my theatre is in my basement and it's always nice and cool down there.

I bought a couple of ottoman's for the legs and that seems to keep everything in good order. The only time I did notice some fatigue was while watching "Gettysburg" around the third hour... mind you, I think any chair would have hit the uncomfortable part at that point :)

Your best bet is to sit on everything. I took me and the 'final approver' ahem, wife, about three months to find what we really wanted and we're really happy with the purchase.

That Coke can be nasty, but if you want a really wicked throat burn, find a can of Vernor's Ale, open it, breathe in around the mouth of the can and laugh at the same time... oh man, Coke out the nose is nothing compared to that sensation :)

Cheers,
Andrew

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor
Robert, I completely agree with you on the cupholder fiasco. I looked at every "home theater seat" in the greater Las Vegas area and determined just that: I was paying an extra 50-100% for cupholders, especially for the LaZBoys. There is no difference. I agree with the low backs for proper surround sound, but there's plenty of ways around that too (mount the speakers at ear level or angling down, perhaps). Stick with comfort and price, don't jump for the hype.

I have to agree with your taste in beer...I used to be a die hard Ex fan, but my tastes (and guts) are really starting to appreciate Creemore.

For most movies, coffee and Kaluah suffice...i am not big on pop. However, when I put in drama classics like Taxi Driver, Casablanca or Shawshank Redemption I head for single malt scotch (neet).

I am currently working on my Home Theatre budget for our new home...just got a quote from RONA on most of the building materials. I already have my HT seats...a pair of chocolate leather recliners I picked up year ago...they have low backs and a very simple design...comfortable without being anything you would want to fall asleep in.

I also just put an order in for new speakers (all Athena)
1 pair of AS-B2s, 2 AS-C1s and a pair of AS-R1s for the rear.

I hope to purchase the sanyo Z3 in the new year along with a 92" screen

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hi Derek,

Yup, can't go wrong with Creemore. Ex is like motor oil compared to Creemore - or for that fact any beer :)

I'm not that much into pop either now, I find the sugar rattles my teeth, not to mention the gut rot!! I should have stated things like Club Soda and Lime or fruit juice watered down. However, I would never water down a single malt and I too like mine neet. Preference is the 18 yr Bowmore single or 10 year single malt.

Good choice on the speakers. API make great boxes. I have an old set of Energy Loudspeakers going back to '95. Pro 2.5's for the L & R and C-200 for centre. Plus two RVSS' for the surrounds ( sweet surround from these speakers ) and an RS-8 subwoofer. I was thinking of upgrading my fronts and centre but they just sound soooo good now I can't bear to get rid of them.

Good luck with the building. You'll find lots of advice and expertise here.

Cheers,
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks