What Kind Of Car Subwoofer Setup Do You Have?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Sturge, Apr 15, 2002.

1. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

Just curious, I have 2 Bazooka 10" with a nice sized box running on, 2 Profile 600MSX amps 300 watts.... It's great, I guess, but not stellar. Pretty Boomy. However, it surely gets the job done.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but just wondering, how does a really good car sub sound compared to a similarly priced HT sub??? What are the differences?

3. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

I have a 10" cerwin-vega with a 150 watt kenwood amp. Its sitting in a 1.5 cubic foot sealed box. It puts out some nice tight and clean bass. Many car audio subs i have heard are pretty boomy, but this is pretty decent. Its also about 6 years old and i am thinking about replacing the driver with something new.

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Hsu Research ( www.hsuresearch.com ) makes automotive subwoofers which are apparently very very good.
    Tom Nousaine said the following about the ASW1201:
    "this 1.6-footer will deliver 121.7 dB at 12.5 Hz with less than 10% THD. Maximum SPL hits 123.9 dB at 50 Hz with 10% THD. Frequency response in the lab is +/- 2.35 dB from 53 to 512 Hz and +/- 2.5 dB from 11 to 134 Hz in the car. SPL at 10% distortion averages 119 dB from 25 to 62 Hz and 117.9 dB from 12.5 Hz to 80 Hz...I'm not overstating things when I say that the Hsu Research ASW1201 could be the subwoofer buy of the Century."
    Look at their website for specs/reviews.

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I've got Eclipse All around (Head Unit, Speakers, sub, and amps). I'm using a single 8712 sub in a 1.5cuft enclosure being powered by an Eclipse amp with 350 watts. Very nice musical sub, I've had it for a few years and love it.

6. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Bob, I believe the topic was what sub do you ACTUALLY HAVE IN YOUR CAR. Not which HSU sub would be the best in your car. Come on, seriously control your post content.

It's almost like poeple pay you to do what you do.

8. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I use a 10' Kicker BassStation bandpass sub paired with a Kicker amp.

JohnG

9. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

"Bob, I believe the topic was what sub do you ACTUALLY HAVE IN YOUR CAR. Not which HSU sub would be the best in your car. Come on, seriously control your post content.

It's almost like poeple pay you to do what you do."

And how is this post relevant to the topic at hand other than you trying to put me down on a personal level. I think that makes about 10 times you have done such a thing specifically to me in the past month. Go figure.

If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say it at all. At least I was talking about an automotive subwoofer.

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

I have a 16-46cs stashed on one side of a pt cruiser parts chaser. Lex DC-1,7 channels(all infinity kappas in case anyone is curious). No dB drags...music-logic just kicks ass for SQ though [​IMG]
    TV

11. Tom Vodhanel

Nick,

Cars subs have the advantage of the small confines of the car/truck. Due to *cabin gain*...you can get great bass for a very reasonable price in a car. Roughly, to match a car's bass output...figure on spending 5-10x as much in an average size room.

TV

12. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Acutally Tom, I spent about a grand on my Eclipse sub and amp, and I thought it was pretty loud (as did my friends). BUT, I just tried out my new Shiva/AVA250 in the same box as the Eclipse and put it into my computer room temporarily (till I build the ported box) and I must say, the bass in that 11'x11' room is insane, easily on par with my car sub bass. I am in shock still as to how much bass this little sub and amp can dish out. I can only imiagine how much more a CS+ or Ultra good throw at me.

13. I got a crappy sub in the car. A JL 8W0 in a "generic" 4th order bandpass box. Purchased during my ill-informed days.

but it works good enough. I drive a Jeep wrangler!...about as far as you can get from an ideal autosound environment.

14. Tom Vodhanel

Cam,
    yes...DIYing cuts into cost a good deal[​IMG]
    But with excellent car bass available in the $200 range for a decent enclosure and a decent amp now...(something that could hit 115-118dB easily in an average car)...I bet it might take 5x that(not diying) in a decent room. Just a rough guess though,
    TV

15. Barry Barnes

Barry Barnes Stunt Coordinator

I used to have two ten inch Rockford Fosgate Punch Pro series in my Corvette. Those things could literally make the hair on your arms stand up and your hair tingle. My main speakers were all Kefs (3 sets)...
    Then we decided to have a Kid... My best friend bought the Vette and now I have an SUV like all the other Dads... But hey, it does have a "Nakamichi Premium Sound System" in it with an 8 inch "subwoofer" (they use the term lightly) under the front seat. [​IMG]

16. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I am running 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Series 1's (Old School)
    wired Parallel (Single Voice coils) 2 Ohm Load bridged at
    my amp. They are in a sealed 5/8" Marine MDF Box that I
    constructed. The box is 3.0 Cubic Feet.
    [​IMG]
    Who needs a trunk anyway? [​IMG]

17. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

one a/d/s 312rs.2 (12" sub) in a 1.25 cubic foot sealed box powerd by the sub channel of an mtx amp. Bought it about a year ago and it was the SQ subwoofer at that time.

18. Michael_Johnson

I have 2 10" Focal subs, powered by a Xtant amp. The rest is rounded out by 2 sets of Focal Utopia's.

Of course, today I opened the box on my dual 20-39cs+ and Samson 1000 amp. Could be a close call...

19. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

I have a pretty crappy Kenwood 8" tube design, I believe the model number is KSC-W801 or KFC-W801, its cheap and gets the job done fairly well...

How do those Audiobahn drivers sound anyway? They *look* really nice and overbuilt...wonder how they'd sound in a HT environment.

20. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor