What's new

What Kind Of Car Subwoofer Setup Do You Have? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Currently running a JL Audio 12W0 in a ported enclosure that has served me well for 5 years, but I will be upgrading to probably a 12W3 sealed though still looking around. Now that the weather is warming up I can finish working on my fiberglass enclosure that I started last fall... yeah trunk space :D will be good to have again. I'm also looking at putting 6W0's in the doors for better up front midbass, then moving my XR5.25 comps to the kick panels more fiberglass fun :emoji_thumbsup:

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mark,
I don't know what to say...but the dB drags just don't interest me right now. I mean...I have like 75w going into the sub in the pt cruiser and we're talking a clean 122-125dBs. I'm much more into the 7 channel separation/imaging/soundstaging with the music-logic from the dc-1.(basic invertor we had to quiet down a little) Contrary to myth...I'm all about SQ :) I have my old MC-1 collecting dust right now.I thought I was going to have to put it back in my rack because the MC-12 was so buggy...but the new v1.1 for the MC-12 took care of most of my gripes...so I might drop the MC-1 in the pt. This will give me a lot more flexibility in my SQ quest. I guess I can put the DC-1 in the SS396 now....hmm....center channel on the back of the blower scoop.....yeah...
TV

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
No doubts I probably have the worse bass in the thread. I paid $575 cash for a party package at Al and Ed's autosound. (sub, box, amp, installation) I still had to buy a friggen monster IC for $35.
I have 2 PPI10 subs wired in series in a single large box. They are Powered by a bridged PPI 200 watt amplifier.
Stats on the PPI driver:
150w RMS power handling
FS 33.4hz
VAS 50.44L
Xmax 7.83mm
sens 87.9db
Even though this was a few years ago I still feel soooo ripped off :frowning:
I do however had decent midrange and highs from a Soundstream 2 channel amp 40wpc to component alpine speakers and pioneers up front. I have a cheap Sony receiver with monster cables and streetwires.
My bass sounds like a one tone rumble and it struggles to handle deep bass without a "badadadadadada" muddy sound. Do I still enjoy it? Yes! I turned down the gain and adjusted the crossover so it only puts out clean bass.
Do my friends with their JBL and JL Audio subs make fun of me? NO, because I'm the one that built their car audio systems since I learned the hard way.

Sasha_G

Agent
I have a Hsu ASW1202M sealed tube (1.6 cu. ft sealed enclosure) in my 86 Land Cruiser. It's so efficient all I needed was a small 80 Watt Alpine amp. Goes as loud as I need, and sounds great.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Chris, don't worry, I think mine's worse. Its a Kenwood KSC-WA801 8" powered, enclosed tube. My brother put it in along with the front speakers which pretty good actually(Cliff Design component... 5.25" mids + 1" tweeters)

The Kenwood is only 30Wrms@2ohm and 50Wmax, but still manages to go pretty loud if I want it to, which is case in point that car subs have it easy...

DavidAM

Second Unit
I currently run Infinity Kappa 6.5" components in the front with Kappa 6.5" mids for rear fill off of a RF Punch 40 amp and a RF 360.2 amp bridged to a 12" Eclipse Aluminum sub. I had an Infinity Perfect 12 sub which sounded great, but for some reason or another blew after a year, so I switched over to the Aluminum sub which sounds pretty much identical to the Perfect. Everything I was told was the Aluminum would be louder, but I find them to be almost identical. Either way, the system definately jams for a daily driver....no competing here. All this is off of an Alpine cd player.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
DavidAM,

Are you certain the Perfect's blew? The reason I am asking

is because the first early batches of the Perfect Subs had

too short of Tinsel Leads causing them to seperate and thus

rendering the sub useless. My guess is Infinity would replace

those under warranty since it was thier blunder.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
(WHOLE SYSTEM)For Sound Quality

4 Tempests

2 JBL1200

1 Pair Infinity 6.1 Comps(front doors)

1 Rockford Fosgate 360

4 4.5^3 boxes ported to 25hz(barly fit)

3 layers sound deadening

1 HOALT

1 Slamming Slate Limited Grand Cherokee

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Hopefully, a 12" original SVS driver in a sealed enclosure (probably around a cube or so)....just waiting for it from a SVS owner.

Full system to be installed shortly...

Vehicle: 1996 Mazda extended cab pickup

Head unit: Alpine CDA7873

Front speakers: Boston Acoustics Rally RX87 5x7 coax.

Rear speakers: Stock

Sub: 12" SVS

Amp: 4 channel, likely a Concept CC-504 or maybe CC-754

Dave

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
Sitting in boxes since I just got a new car and haven't had my system re-installed yet. I use a JL Audio 10in Powerwedge powered by an a/d/s P640 amps (6 x 40W). I bridged the 5-6 ch.'s for 120 Watts. I use a Kenwood Excelon KDC715 headunit and Boston Acoustic Pro-Series 6.4 speakers. I absolutely love this setup. My new Maxima has a Bose system which for a factory unit holds it own (but can't hold my old system's jock strap). I don't have the tools to do the re-install again and the local dealers want 450.00 (new wiring included) to reinstall it so need to wait a little bit!.
ShawnS,
I really want the Acura CL Type S you got. How do U like it? I got the Maxima for $5K under book so I couldn't pass it up..I really like it so far but I still want that Acura! :)

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
Xtant Hex DVC
Kicker Comp VR DVC
Rockford Fosgate Punch Power HX2 DVC
Kicker L7DVC
Infinity Perfect DVC
Eclipse Titanium DVC
Ultimate Cupric DVC
Almost every JL Audio sub is FAR FAR better than these. Have you been soliciting sub advice from kids in low riders? It's not like he said JL subs were better than Alumapro or something. I have heard GREAT things about MB Quart subs.
And yes I have a JL Audio sub ;) A 10" JL Audio 10W3 DVC run by a DEI 200.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Larry,

No you must have been the one listening to the kids.. That's

all most of them seem to use.. Sorta how they all have nike

swooshe's on thier cars.

JL makes good sub woofers. But they are hardly the best out.

There are far more heavy duty subs like the ones I listed

that will not only do better for SQ but also for SPL if you

are into that sort of thing..

To each his own. If we didn't have options what fun would

the world be!

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
ShawnS,
I really want the Acura CL Type S you got. How do U like it? I got the Maxima for $5K under book so I couldn't pass it up..I really like it so far but I still want that Acura!
Mike....I LOVE the car.
I had a RED 2001 AUTO (shown in that picture), but I just traded it in for a BLUE 2003 w/ 6-Speed Manual Tranny last month.
The car is even better with the stick shift.
I wish it was available that way from the start.
CLICK FOR PICTURE
E-Mail me if you want more info. [email protected]
Shawn S

DavidAM

Second Unit
Brett, I had the newer 12.1 sub, not the 12 with the tinsel problems. For some reason or another, I melted the voicecoil which made a complete circuit back to my amp which blew my fuse. Once I took the sub out of the box, it would barely move and scratched when you pushed on the cone, so I'd say yeah, it was blown :) Thanks for looking out for me though. I actually sold it on ebay for $75 and Infinity sent me a new one. Its their policy to replace something under warranty by sending you a new product. Then if you have another claim on the same product, you have to send it in to get fixed/replaced. I only had .5" of cooling behind the sub so I think it didn't have enough air to breathe behind the voicecoil. That is why I switched to the Eclipse Aluminum sub with its shallower mounting depth.
And I'll also back you up on the JL subs.....from that list, JL would be near the bottom of what I would pick. Nothing wrong with JL, but a W3 or W6 isn't in the same class as the subs listed. Plus JL bass just doesn't sound natural.

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget about the JL W7 yeah it's expensive but so is the Eclipse titanium. Plus the W6 line is now quite old (about seven years I believe) and is being replaced by a new W6 version 2 that borrows heavily from the W7 line. When you look at a manufacturer you need to look at the entire product line. Now I like JL a lot but am still considering alternatives for my next woofer. Point is there are a lot of great products which is good, all though the plethora of choices can be difficult to sift through.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
David,

Just checkin! Yeah breathing problems could have caused the

VC to overheat or perhaps the VC diameter just isn't big

enough for the sub. I think Infinity makes some great products

but in the list Infinity wouldn't be in the top (for subs)

I just listed the Perfect because I feel it is a better

design than the current W6's for SQ.

There is no doubt that there are tons of "good choices" out

there as far as subs are concerned. The Eclipse Alum and Ti

subs are pretty phenominal.

I wonder how the AudioBahn subs are, I have seen them online

and they appear to be well constructed (of course looks can

sometimes be decieving) I haven't seen any in real world

installs yet.

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,
You can try doing a search on Sounddomain for installs with the Audiobahn, if you go to the member pages you can select what type of component and then brand to search by. You might find a few installs there just from the sheer number of pages they have.

johnM

Auditioning
Here is my setup I am currently installing in my Jeep GC.

Nakamichi SP-W120 (nice SQ sub) in 1.75 cf ported encl.

Zapco Studio 100X mono amp for sub

A/D/S 336is comps

Zapco Studio 100 amp for comps

The best part? I bought all of this brand new recently for a total of $620! Sub and amp alone was $235. It sounds GREAT for $235.

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have a set-up in my car but I have looked at audiobahn subwoofers and while they look cool with the baskets cut to look like flames and the aluminum cones I couldn't help but notice that they looked pretty cheap in construction. And there are numerous stories of them not holding up to their power ratings. I've seen baskets cracked in half and the subs fried. But, on the other hand, I've also heard great stories about them.

To keep in line with the thread...

I'll probably be getting 2 adire audio shivas and put them in a 6 ft^3 box partitioned in the middle to give each 3 ft^3. Both boxes will be tuned to 20 Hz. They'll probably be receiving 375-400 watts a piece. I haven't decided on an amp, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks