What's new

What is the best Blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
jimmyjet said:
two posters mentioned something about the size of one's dvd collection.

i can't figure out how that can possibly make a difference, regarding upscaling and pq ?

but i do plan to have my collection grow to a considerable number by the time i hit the bucket !!
You're right, the size of your DVD collection has nothing to do with how big a difference quality upscaling makes. What it does do, though, is affect how important quality upscaling might be to a prospective buyer. Small collection = not very important, large collection = more important.

In other words, if you have lots of DVDs and a pretty big TV, better quality upscaling might be worth paying more for.

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
FoxyMulder said:
They actually changed the main chip in this years models, last years which i linked to and i own one of them are much better quality.
Thanks for the info. I will put the newest model on my do not recommend list.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lee Smith said:
Thanks for the info. I will put the newest model on my do not recommend list.
This years freezing issues reminds me of a few years back when Panasonic had the same problems, although i say much better quality, i don't mean image quality, image quality tends to be very good regardless of the make of a blu ray player, its the freezing i was referring to in the reviews and it's probably something they can fix with firmware, i'm sure that not every player will have these issues, now that i think about it my cheap 120 model from last year does very occasionally freeze up if i don't have a very clean disc, i mean absolutely spotless disc in the player, while my Oppo doesn't, unfortunately the Oppo can't do 3D, it's the BD-83 model, perhaps the Panasonics are more sensitive to the condition of a disc.

Anyways don't put it on the not recommended list just yet, i'm sure Panasonic will be fixing things with firmware.

iseethink720

Auditioning
Real Name
Ellen
tele1962 said:
Really depends on what you are looking for. PQ all players are the same, upscaling and Audio, i would go with the OPPO's.
Haven't heard of this particular brand before. I will check it out.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
iseethink720 said:
Haven't heard of this particular brand before. I will check it out.
Here is some info on them.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

Features Diversified Media Support:

[*]Blu-ray Disc - The high definition Blu-ray Disc™ format provides pristine video and audio quality for your home entertainment.
[*]Blu-ray 3D – Experience high definition in all new dimensions. The BDP-103 supports the Blu-ray 3D specifications and is fully compatible with Blu-ray 3D discs1.
[*]2D to 3D Conversion – Take your standard DVD, Blu-ray, and other video content to the next dimension by converting them into 3D with the simple press of a button. The BDP-103 can also adjust the depth and eye convergence levels to suit your personal preference.
[*]SACD - The BDP-103 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM.
[*]DVD-Audio - The BDP-103 plays DVD-Audio and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to play the DVD-Audio or the DVD-Video portion of the disc.
[*]Netflix Instant Streaming - Instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix2. Netflix "Just For Kids" is a special selection of kid-friendly TV episodes & movies for younger viewers. It is included with your Netflix unlimited streaming membership. Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages.
[*]VUDU HD Movie Streaming - Stream thousands of movies instantly the day-and-date they are released on DVD/Blu-ray in stunning 1080p video, rich 7.1 surround audio and even in 3D3.
[*]CinemaNow - Instantly stream the latest new release movies and Next Day TV episodes, plus a library of thousands of blockbuster hits4.
[*]Pandora Internet Radio - Personalized music streaming using the Music Genome Project, staying true to their mission: "Playing only the music you'll love"5.
[*]Rhapsody Online Music - Meet your new music collection complete with millions of songs, entire albums and artist hits spanning the decades. This is more than just internet radio. This is the power to play exactly the songs you want.6
[*]Comprehensive Internet Streaming - In addition to Netflix, VUDU, CinemaNow, Pandora and Rhapsody, the BDP-103 provides access to popular entertainment network services from Film Fresh, YouTube Leanback and Picasa.
[*]BD-Live & BonusVIEW - The BDP-103 supports BD-Live™ (Profile 2.0) and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet and wireless networking, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live. It also supports BonusVIEW (Profile 1.1) enabling "picture-in-picture" and audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.
[*]Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, AVI, MKV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-103. The BDP-103 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC audio formats.7
[*]Roku Ready™ - Full Roku streaming experience with an optional Roku Streaming Stick plugged in to the MHL Input; Up to 1080p HD; 750+ entertainment channels; Dual-band, extended-range wireless. Learn More
[/list]Unparalleled Video Quality:

[*]Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-103 incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™ technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-103 faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-103 offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements. To learn more about the Qdeo video processing technology, please read the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief.
[*]4K Up-scaling - Enhance the home theater experience with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p by up-scaling all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution.
[*]DVD Up-Conversion - Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform the standard definition image on DVDs to high definition output on your TV. Additional Qdeo video processing options help to deliver a clearer, smoother, and more true-to-life picture free of noise and artifacts.
[*]Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-103 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K.
[*]True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-103 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored DVDs and output 1080p 24Hz.
[*]Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, the BDP-103 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
[*]Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-103 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles.
[*]Vertical Stretch Mode - For customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom options include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display.
[*]Advanced Picture Control - Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.
[/list]High Fidelity Audio:

[*]Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-103 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
[*]DTS-HD Master Audio™ - DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1 channels that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-103 supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.)
[*]7.1-Channel Analog Output - Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal to connect to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The BDP-103 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience. For users with stereo speakers, the 7.1-channel analog output can be configured to a stereo down-mix mode.
[*]Digital Optical and Coaxial Outputs - For simple and easy connection to more traditional A/V receivers, the BDP-103 features both optical and coaxial outputs for digital audio.
[*]Rigid Chassis Construction - Built around a steel chassis, aluminum faceplate, and center-mounted disc loader, the BDP-103 is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favorite media.
[/list]Ultimate Convenience:

[*]Dual HDMI Outputs – Two HDMI v1.4a output ports are provided to offer the most versatile installation options to both older and newer HDMI equipment. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-103 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-103 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.
[*]Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-103. The BDP-103 offers two HDMI inputs, one on the front and one on the back.
[*]MHL Input – Simplify connecting smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices to the home theater by using the MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) input port of the BDP-103. Display high resolution pictures, 1080p video and listen to pure digital music all while simultaneously charging the connected mobile device. The front HDMI input port of the BDP-103 doubles as the MHL input.
[*]Wireless & Ethernet – Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in RJ45 Ethernet port, users will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from providers such as Netflix or VUDU, playback contents stored on their home network, and keep the BDP-103 up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.
[*]Triple USB Ports - Three USB 2.0 high speed ports are provided, one on the front panel and two on the back. Users can enjoy high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.
[*]PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-103 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)
[*]Back-lit Remote Control - The BDP-103 comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theaters. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labeling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easier than ever.
[*]Universal Power Supply - The BDP-103 features a wide-range world power supply that is compatible with AC power from all regions. No worries about damaging the player due to incorrect power voltage.
[*]External IR - For integration into home theater control systems, the BDP-103 provides an external IR IN port to use with an IR distribution system.
[*]RS232 Control - For custom installation, the BDP-103 offers an RS232 control port with a rich control and communication protocol. Installers can easily program their favorite control systems to operate the BDP-103.
[*]Remote Control Apps – As an added convenience, a free remote control application is available to download from the App Store for Apple iOS devices and the Google Play Store for Android devices.
[*]HDMI CEC - HDMI Consumer Electronics Control simplifies the home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices.
[*]Gracenote MusicID® and VideoID™ - By connecting to Gracenote's global media database over the Internet, the BDP-103 can offer an enriched playback experience by displaying Cover Art, Title, Artist, Genre and other media information for CD, DVD, Blu-ray and a wide range of digital media files.
[*]DMP & DMR - Digital Media Player (DMP) and Digital Media Renderer (DMR) features enables wired or wireless access of audio, picture, and video files stored on DLNA-compatible digital media servers such as a computer or network storage device (NAS).
[*]SMB/CIFS Access - The BDP-103 comes with an experimental feature that can access video, audio and picture files shared by computers on the local network via the Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocols.
[*]
[/list]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Malcolm:

Do the Oppos ever go on sale anywhere? Everytime I read those specs and see that they do SACD and DVD-A I think about how I could remove another source/player from my system if I got one.

Then I'm reminded about that pricetag... :blink:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
Malcolm:

Do the Oppos ever go on sale anywhere? Everytime I read those specs and see that they do SACD and DVD-A I think about how I could remove another source/player from my system if I got one.

Then I'm reminded about that pricetag... :blink:
On Ebay.com there are a few Oppo BDP-83 players selling cheaply, one is $117, another at around $190, of course last minute bidding could push them up, an Oppo BDP-93 model, the one which can play 3D is selling for $350 with 2 hours left and 35 bids, if you managed to get one of them cheap you can buy the chip for multiregion blu ray playback, that's simple to install.

What i like about my Oppo is the build quality, it feels like it will last forever, my Panasonic on the other hand looks cheap and is cheap, the PS3 might be the best all round value for money blu ray player you can buy despite not being capable of multi-region.

:EDIT: Because i never check spelling and always want to add to my post. :D Edited about 12 times so far.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Realizing that I could look all this up myself...but deciding, instead, to lean on someone who is already in-the-know...

Do any of the other Oppos also decode SACD and DVD-A? Or just the 103?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
Realizing that I could look all this up myself...but deciding, instead, to lean on someone who is already in-the-know...

Do any of the other Oppos also decode SACD and DVD-A? Or just the 103?
Yes they all do it.

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
I have connected a Roku stick to my Oppo 103 using the HDMI/MHL connection.

So, I get to watch my Red Sox with the Oppos video processing.

iseethink720

Auditioning
Real Name
Ellen
FoxyMulder said:
Here is some info on them.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

FeaturesDiversified Media Support:

[*]Blu-ray Disc - The high definition Blu-ray Disc™ format provides pristine video and audio quality for your home entertainment.
[*]Blu-ray 3D – Experience high definition in all new dimensions. The BDP-103 supports the Blu-ray 3D specifications and is fully compatible with Blu-ray 3D discs1.
[*]2D to 3D Conversion – Take your standard DVD, Blu-ray, and other video content to the next dimension by converting them into 3D with the simple press of a button. The BDP-103 can also adjust the depth and eye convergence levels to suit your personal preference.
[*]SACD - The BDP-103 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format or convert it into PCM.
[*]DVD-Audio - The BDP-103 plays DVD-Audio and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Users can select whether to play the DVD-Audio or the DVD-Video portion of the disc.
[*]Netflix Instant Streaming - Instantly watch TV shows & movies streaming from Netflix2. Netflix "Just For Kids" is a special selection of kid-friendly TV episodes & movies for younger viewers. It is included with your Netflix unlimited streaming membership. Selected titles support features including 1080p video, 5.1ch audio, subtitles and alternative audio languages.
[*]VUDU HD Movie Streaming - Stream thousands of movies instantly the day-and-date they are released on DVD/Blu-ray in stunning 1080p video, rich 7.1 surround audio and even in 3D3.
[*]CinemaNow - Instantly stream the latest new release movies and Next Day TV episodes, plus a library of thousands of blockbuster hits4.
[*]Pandora Internet Radio - Personalized music streaming using the Music Genome Project, staying true to their mission: "Playing only the music you'll love"5.
[*]Rhapsody Online Music - Meet your new music collection complete with millions of songs, entire albums and artist hits spanning the decades. This is more than just internet radio. This is the power to play exactly the songs you want.6
[*]Comprehensive Internet Streaming - In addition to Netflix, VUDU, CinemaNow, Pandora and Rhapsody, the BDP-103 provides access to popular entertainment network services from Film Fresh, YouTube Leanback and Picasa.
[*]BD-Live & BonusVIEW - The BDP-103 supports BD-Live™ (Profile 2.0) and contains all necessary hardware - audio/video decoder, Ethernet and wireless networking, and 1GB of internal storage - for BD-Live. It also supports BonusVIEW (Profile 1.1) enabling "picture-in-picture" and audio features for viewing director or actor commentary while the main movie is playing.
[*]Additional Disc & Media Formats - Additional disc and file formats, such as DVD, audio CD, HDCD, Kodak Picture CD, AVCHD, MP4, AVI, MKV and other audio/video/picture files on recorded discs or USB drives can be played back on the BDP-103. The BDP-103 fully supports high-resolution lossless WAV and FLAC audio formats.7
[*]Roku Ready™ - Full Roku streaming experience with an optional Roku Streaming Stick plugged in to the MHL Input; Up to 1080p HD; 750+ entertainment channels; Dual-band, extended-range wireless. Learn More
[/list]Unparalleled Video Quality:

[*]Qdeo by Marvell - The BDP-103 incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo™ technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-103 faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-103 offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements. To learn more about the Qdeo video processing technology, please read the Qdeo Extended Technology Brief.
[*]4K Up-scaling - Enhance the home theater experience with four times the resolution of Full HD 1080p by up-scaling all video sources to 4K (3840 x 2160) output resolution.
[*]DVD Up-Conversion - Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transform the standard definition image on DVDs to high definition output on your TV. Additional Qdeo video processing options help to deliver a clearer, smoother, and more true-to-life picture free of noise and artifacts.
[*]Full HD 1080p Output - The BDP-103 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K.
[*]True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-103 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience. It can also restore the original 24 frames per second progressive-scan video from well-authored DVDs and output 1080p 24Hz.
[*]Source Direct Mode - For users who wish to use an external video processor, the BDP-103 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration.
[*]Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-103 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles.
[*]Vertical Stretch Mode - For customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom options include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display.
[*]Advanced Picture Control - Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.
[/list]High Fidelity Audio:

[*]Dolby® TrueHD - Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-103 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
[*]DTS-HD Master Audio™ - DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1 channels that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-103 supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. (DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.)
[*]7.1-Channel Analog Output - Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs are ideal to connect to a 7.1-channel or 5.1-channel surround sound system. The BDP-103 delivers an incredible sound stage and an immersive surround experience. For users with stereo speakers, the 7.1-channel analog output can be configured to a stereo down-mix mode.
[*]Digital Optical and Coaxial Outputs - For simple and easy connection to more traditional A/V receivers, the BDP-103 features both optical and coaxial outputs for digital audio.
[*]Rigid Chassis Construction - Built around a steel chassis, aluminum faceplate, and center-mounted disc loader, the BDP-103 is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favorite media.
[/list]Ultimate Convenience:

[*]Dual HDMI Outputs – Two HDMI v1.4a output ports are provided to offer the most versatile installation options to both older and newer HDMI equipment. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-103 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-103 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously.
[*]Dual HDMI Inputs – Connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices to take further advantage of the excellent audio and video processing functions by the BDP-103. The BDP-103 offers two HDMI inputs, one on the front and one on the back.
[*]MHL Input – Simplify connecting smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices to the home theater by using the MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) input port of the BDP-103. Display high resolution pictures, 1080p video and listen to pure digital music all while simultaneously charging the connected mobile device. The front HDMI input port of the BDP-103 doubles as the MHL input.
[*]Wireless & Ethernet – Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in RJ45 Ethernet port, users will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from providers such as Netflix or VUDU, playback contents stored on their home network, and keep the BDP-103 up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.
[*]Triple USB Ports - Three USB 2.0 high speed ports are provided, one on the front panel and two on the back. Users can enjoy high definition video, high resolution photos and music directly from their USB drives.
[*]PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-103 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)
[*]Back-lit Remote Control - The BDP-103 comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theaters. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labeling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easier than ever.
[*]Universal Power Supply - The BDP-103 features a wide-range world power supply that is compatible with AC power from all regions. No worries about damaging the player due to incorrect power voltage.
[*]External IR - For integration into home theater control systems, the BDP-103 provides an external IR IN port to use with an IR distribution system.
[*]RS232 Control - For custom installation, the BDP-103 offers an RS232 control port with a rich control and communication protocol. Installers can easily program their favorite control systems to operate the BDP-103.
[*]Remote Control Apps – As an added convenience, a free remote control application is available to download from the App Store for Apple iOS devices and the Google Play Store for Android devices.
[*]HDMI CEC - HDMI Consumer Electronics Control simplifies the home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices.
[*]Gracenote MusicID® and VideoID™ - By connecting to Gracenote's global media database over the Internet, the BDP-103 can offer an enriched playback experience by displaying Cover Art, Title, Artist, Genre and other media information for CD, DVD, Blu-ray and a wide range of digital media files.
[*]DMP & DMR - Digital Media Player (DMP) and Digital Media Renderer (DMR) features enables wired or wireless access of audio, picture, and video files stored on DLNA-compatible digital media servers such as a computer or network storage device (NAS).
[*]SMB/CIFS Access - The BDP-103 comes with an experimental feature that can access video, audio and picture files shared by computers on the local network via the Server Message Block (SMB) or Common Internet File System (CIFS) protocols.
[*]
[/list]
Thanks Foxy! :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
iseethink720 said:
Thanks guys for the great feedback! You guys are experts on this topic!
All these sites expect you to have Facebook or Twitter, i'm not a social media fan, don't have them, i'd prefer to be able to vote without signing up, what you also get is "fans" of a certain brand vote for the player because of the make rather than the quality of the player, best is a loose term anyways, what's best is the player that meets your needs, if you need analog outputs to connect to an older AV Receiver or great quality upscaling of DVD's then in my opinion nothing beats the Oppo players, if all you need is blu ray playback with decent sound then most cheap players can provide that, no need to spend a fortune these days.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I flagged that post as spam to be held for review, can you edit your reply to take the link out please Foxy? If the mods find it acceptable put it back then... =)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I find that audio quality, expecially when playing CDs, DVD-A SACD and 2 channel music can vary greatly from player to player. Looking for one of the best? Check out the Mcintosh MVP891. Krell, NAD, Anthem, Ayre Acoustics and others all have high quality bluray players for those looking for nothing but the finest audio, video and build quality.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I will echo the endorsements for Oppo players.

One thing maybe not pointed out fully above, is that although picture quality on Blu-ray discs is pretty much the same on all players, the picture quality of upscaled DVDs is not the same on all players. PQ there depends on how good the upscaling chipset is.

Part of the high cost of Oppos is/has been their dedication to using the best/most advanced upscalers on the market at the time of their release.

Another consideration: do you want (or need) the abilty to play "all regions" (whether we're talking Blu-ray, DVD, or both), and do you need to be able to play PAL-format (as well as 1080i/50hz)? If so, then Oppo is ahead of the pack in that area, too, as their machines not only allow you to play such content in its native framerates (for those of us with multi-system TVs), but also has good-quality bulit-in converters for those who need to convert those signals to US standards (NTSC and 1080i/60hz). There have been many people who thought "NTSC vs. PAL doesn't matter anymore" who got burned when they bought the Region B release of BBC's Life, for instance, and tried to play it on their PS3.

Oppos are expensive
True, but one thing to consider is buying a good-condition used/older unit. My first Oppo (a BDP-83) was purchased brand new for $500. A year later, when the "next generation" players came out, I bought a second one (used) on eBay for less than half that price. This past year, I bought a third one for about $230 at an area pawn shop.

The used one I bought from eBay had a disc loader problem (unknown to me), but Oppo still fixed it for me 100% free of charge (they even paid shipping both ways). Can't ask for any better than that! Oppo are also very quick to issue firmware upgrades for their players.

Just doing a quick check, a used BDP-83 sold a couple weeks back for $235 on eBay. Well worth checking out (I'd recommend an 83 over the 80, because the 83 has a much-better upscaler).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
MerryDavid said:
So expensive for the blu-ray player,no cheap but great one?
Plenty of cheap quality ones which will produce the same image as the expensive ones, what price point do you have in mind. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks