What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Made my first hi-res purchase at Qobuz today - the Barenaked Ladies single Landed on my Head from the HBO documentary The Super Bob Einstein Movie. It's a catchy little song that is also a bonus track on the import version of their latest album Detour de Force.

I had purchased the domestic release of Detour de Force as an MP3 download on Amazon Music and my attempts to purchase the single from Amazon was met with utter frustration. I could purchase the song, but was unable to download or play it - it would not even show up in my music library. After an hour of troubleshooting, which included purchasing the song twice, Amazon refunded the two purchases plus an additional $2.00 back to my gift card balance, recommending I try again a few hours later. Later that afternoon, I tried again to no avail. I thought of purchasing on iTunes, but I really didn't want to convert a high bitrate AAC file to high bitrate MP3, so went looking for a lossless alternative. I ended up paying twice the price of what either Amazon or Apple wanted for a lossy version ($1.99), but am fairly happy with the outcome.

landed-on-my-head-barenaked-ladies.jpg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I was about to purchase Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny from Qobuzz today, but they only offer it in CD-quality 44.4 kHz, and it is priced at $18.09!

Then I was going to purchase on iTunes, but they no longer sell lossless music.

What online stores do you use for purchasing hirez music?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was about to purchase Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny from Qobuzz today, but they only offer it in CD-quality 44.4 kHz, and it is priced at $18.09!

Then I was going to purchase on iTunes, but they no longer sell lossless music.

What online stores do you use for purchasing hirez music?
hdtracks.com

With them you buy the music and download it For local playback.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Speaking of organ on SACD, I highly recommend the Eschenbach/Philly recording of the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony. My wife loves that piece. It brought tears to her eyes when she first heard that disc.
Is this the one?

Ironically, LA Phil is doing the Organ Symphony next spring and I'm doing some overdue boning up. Just bought this one (at CD Trader in Tarzana, which has a small, small SA-CD / DVD-A section!).

Saint-Saens Organ Munch Boston SA-CD.jpg

And am looking at these two others to finally grip some Nezet-Seguin and two outfits I'm not familiar with--the Kansas City Symphony and Reference Recordings:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is this the one?

Ironically, LA Phil is doing the Organ Symphony next spring and I'm doing some overdue boning up. Just bought this one (at CD Trader in Tarzana, which has a small, small SA-CD / DVD-A section!).

View attachment 195851

And am looking at these two others to finally grip some Nezet-Seguin and two outfits I'm not familiar with--the Kansas City Symphony and Reference Recordings:

Yes, the Eschenbach one you linked is the one. I also have a Blu-ray Audio disc conducted by Slatkin, but it does not have the presence of the Eschenbach SACD version. I do not have the Munch recording, but it has long been considered the reference recording of the work. I have a few of the Living Stereo reissues in SACD. They do sound great, but not as great as the more recent 5.1 recordings.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes, the Eschenbach one you linked is the one. I also have a Blu-ray Audio disc conducted by Slatkin, but it does not have the presence of the Eschenbach SACD version. I do not have the Munch recording, but it has long been considered the reference recording of the work. I have a few of the Living Stereo reissues in SACD. They do sound great, but not as great as the more recent 5.1 recordings.

FWIW, I'm (casually) checking the Eschenbach recording out on Apple Music now. Not familiar w/ this work at all (nor vast majority of organ works... partly since organ music hadn't really grown on me, NVM the family, haha, anyway), so it will probably take some digesting (and revisiting), hehheh...

And thanks for the rec (as a mostly lurker for this thread ;):lol:)...

_Man_

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
hdtracks.com

With them you buy the music and download it For local playback.
I checked there, they don't even carry it. I guess I'll just purchase the higher bitrate but lossy AAC version on iTunes or the high bitrate but lossy MP3 on Amazon Music.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I checked there, they don't even carry it. I guess I'll just purchase the higher bitrate but lossy AAC version on iTunes or the high bitrate but lossy MP3 on Amazon Music.
I was just answering your question about where we buy high res music. Not if a specific selection was available there.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
FWIW, I'm (casually) checking the Eschenbach recording out on Apple Music now. Not familiar w/ this work at all (nor vast majority of organ works... partly since organ music hadn't really grown on me, NVM the family, haha, anyway), so it will probably take some digesting (and revisiting), hehheh...

And thanks for the rec (as a mostly lurker for this thread ;):lol:)...

_Man_
I had collected several versions of the Organ Symphony through the years on LP and CD after hearing on the radio one day decades ago. In many (most?) recordings the organ just doesn't really pop the way it should. The organ is not prominent throughout the work. You hear it in the slow poco adagio, but it is in the finale where it comes to the fore. The finale should be recognizable to many because it was used as the theme for the movie Babe. It's been a while since I watched that movie, but I seem to remember the finale music bursting forth when Babe successfully completes his herding routine at the end.

I don't listen to a lot of organ music in general, but I like it when an organ turns up in a big symphonic work like the Organ Symphony or the finale of Mahler's 2nd symphony or Holst's The Planets. It is difficult to hear the full range of the organ in anything less than multichannel sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks