What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Who wouldn't love a 4K/BD of Dark City? This querkie Sci Fi throwback in space and time needs a restoration and upgrade. And doesn't like Jennifer Connelly, Kiefer Sutherland?

But will it actually benefit from 4K/HDR?

Certainly, the added/extended scenes for the director's cut will likely be jarringly substandard (as it was for the BD)...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It boggles the mind that the excellent 2000 Western The Claim is still stuck on DVD.
Fabulous movie. I mean, possibly a Top 20 for me. Still, I'm not surprised it doesn't have a Blu-Ray release, due to limited market for it. There is an HD master, and it's available in streaming format. I would love to see a disc release from one of the boutique lines.

Reactions: PMF

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
But will it actually benefit from 4K/HDR?

Certainly, the added/extended scenes for the director's cut will likely be jarringly substandard (as it was for the BD)...

_Man_
One botched job does not mean there is no hope for the film, depending on the surviving elements to work with, chances are very good for an improved edition. It was released in Jan 2013, tech has vastly improved since that New Line/Turner edition was released.

Again, I say there would be an advantage in considering a restoration to this fun flick!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One botched job does not mean there is no hope for the film, depending on the surviving elements to work with, chances are very good for an improved edition. It was released in Jan 2013, tech has vastly improved since that New Line/Turner edition was released.

Again, I say there would be an advantage in considering a restoration to this fun flick!!

Well, if they actually (meaningfully) improve on the old BD, especially those added/extended scenes, I'd definitely buy it. But certainly not holding my breath on that, heh...

_Man_

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Our wish is to be granted on Jan 15th...I just pre-ordered mine!!! DEVIL GIRL FROM MARS ON BLU RAY by studio Canal Reigion B/2 - but worth it!!

Attachments

• 71Ui7daf6YL._AC_SL1080_.jpg
    71Ui7daf6YL._AC_SL1080_.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 81XbGiW+IIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81XbGiW+IIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 91kX+K31Q+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    91kX+K31Q+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 22

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I think made for TV movies are severely underrepresented on physical media so I'd like to see more of those. Some of my favorites:

The Fire Next Time
Rearview Mirror
Anything To Survive
Mercy Mission: Rescue of Flight 771
Look What's Happened To Rosemary's Baby
Rescue From Gilligan's Island
A Very Brady Christmas

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
There are a couple rarities I'd love to see:
L’Amour (1973)-Andy Warhol & Paul Morrissey’s ballad of two hippy girls searching for rich husbands in Paris. Saw it in ’73 and it was a hoot.
Journey Beneath the Desert (1961). Only on unwatchable boots, a 60's take on the Anatea myth with Ben Hur’s Haya Harareet cavorting in the near nude then presiding over an underground slave revolt.
Fazil (1928) Howard Hawks’ Arabian fantasy with sheik Charles Farrell and Paris showgirl Greta Nissen. The harem scenes are legendary. Recently restored I've heard.
The Big Fisherman (1959) Frank Borzage’s swan song is the epic story of St. Peter payed by Howard Keel. From a novel by the author of The Robe. Disney owns but ignores.
Cabiria (1914) The first great epic movie about a Carthaginian girl caught in the turmoil of the 2nd Punic War. I’ve seen the recent restoration and it is fabulous. Future disc from the Turin Museum of Cinema who owns it?
Mondo Trasho (1969) At 95 minutes the first John Waters full length feature. Probably more incendiary than his later hits, it appeared briefly on VHS, never on DVD. Criterion?
Bahia (1976) Wonderful Marcel Camus film about two lovers fighting over favela property rights with much music, dancing and drinking. Saw it back in ’71, wonder where the hell it went.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
4K/UHD:
The Cardinal
(1963) - DP Leon Shamroy
Sleuth (1972) - DP Oswald Morris
Sounder (1972) - DP John A. Alonzo

I don’t know if these would be considered forgotten films, but the studios have seemingly forgotten to make these titles shine, again.

Blu ray:
Flight of the Doves
(1971)
Run Wild, Run Free (1969)

Definitely forgotten films. The former title stars Jack Wild and Ron Moody, which capitalized on the success of Oliver!, whilst the latter was released sooner starring Mark Lester and John Mills.

Either 4K/UHD or BD:
Gigot
(1961)

Jackie Gleason directed by Gene Kelly.

Last edited:

YANG

Screenwriter
i was expecting these 2 Fantasy Adventure classics by the 2 movie masters to be announced as 4K remaster release...
819NQ5Y604L._SY445_.jpg
814GbtFGaRL._SY445_.jpg

...eventually, Labyrinth and Never Ending Story got announced.
i guess we may have to temporary live with the FHD release of Masters' Works for another 2yrs, until they could figure out how to do better image cleaning for 4k release.​

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
4K/UHD:
The Cardinal
(1963) - DP Leon Shamroy
Sleuth (1972) - DP Oswald Morris
Sounder (1972) - DP John A. Alonzo

I don’t know if these would be considered forgotten films, but the studios have seemingly forgotten to make these titles shine, again.

Blu ray:
Flight of the Doves
(1971)
Run Wild, Run Free (1969)

Definitely forgotten films. The former title stars Jack Wild and Ron Moody, which capitalized on the success of Oliver!, whilst the latter was released sooner starring Mark Lester and John Mills.

Either 4K/UHD or BD:
Gigot
(1961)

Jackie Gleason directed by Gene Kelly.
I haven't seen Flight of the Doves since its theatrical release. While I clearly remember Jack Wild, Ron Moody and Willie Rushton, I had forgotten that Irish singer Dana was in it (just watched her song and the trailer on YouTube).

• Appreciate

YANG

Screenwriter
pulled out 3 "modern westerns“ today for a spin...
95cdae378d683fa63279dba52366c0e67c64027d_2_1035x481.jpeg

...pity, UNFORGIVEN DVD worked only for a single layer, totally unreadable in the 2nd half of the film. i guess, it's time for the 4K transitional pack upgrade. anyway, on Wyatt Earp "inspired" movie, i wonder...
Wyatt-Earp-Box-Set-Edition-LaserDisc-13921-N_01.jpg

...when will we get to see remastered 4K release of both Warner and Hollywod Pictures release in director's cut?​

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I'd love to see The Strange Woman be given a high quality Blu-ray disc. The film stars Hedy Lamarr and George Sanders and is directed by Edgar G. Ulmer. The film was originally released by United Artistes and possibly that means it's now owned by MGM. I wonder if Kino Lorber could ask MGM about this movie.
The Film Chest HD restoration DVD of The Strange Woman is pretty good. The Miracle Pictures DVD of Dishonored Lady is pretty good too, better than other DVD versions. We need these restored & on Blu-ray.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
i don't think this is widely available in any other region as blu-ray release other than Germany.
01767.jpg

01767_back.jpg

i have the DVD release from HK publisher though... it seems the disc is suffering from oxidization as playback problem occurs.​
I have Lionsgate DVD (ISBN 12236 20740) & it plays fine. Great movie!!!!!!!!!!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
4K/UHD:

The Deadly Affair
(1967) - DP Freddie Young
Directed by Sidney Lumet
Music by Quincy Jones
James Mason, Simone Signoret

5 BAFTA nominations for Best British Film, Screenplay, Cinematography, Actor, Actress

French BD availability, but not opened up towards a wider distribution in the USA and needs an upgraded transfer at a minimum.

Last edited:

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
NEVER CRY WOLF (1983) starring Charles Martin Smith. This deserves (yes, like a number of other Disneys) a Criterion.

THE LONE RANGER (1956) Feature adaptation of TV series starring Clayton Moore & Jay Silverheels. Only ever available on DVD, and only in either full screen (ClassicMedia release) or Non--anamorphic widescreen (VCI Home Video release).

THE LONE RANGER & THE LOST CITY OF GOLD (1958 sequel) C. Moore, J. Silverheels (as with first film, only ever issued in either fullscreen or Non--16x9 widescreen)

Alternate theatrical versions of hit TV series episodes, incl.:

THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E films (All 9 of them -- at least the first couple of which were made from color versions of episodes that aired in B&W) in *widescreen* format

KOROSHI (feature-length version of final two episodes of "Danger Man"/"Secret Agent")
If you've never seen it, Koroshi is available on YT.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Many of us would like The High and the Mighty on blu ray, no idea who would release it though.
It's streaming on Prime, I watched it recently. It's WarnerColor so the print isn't great. As far as the movie's concerned, there's a lot filler & rich people whining. Not the Duke's finest performance & Robert Stack over acts terribly.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Almost all of my DVDs...well over 1K...FORBIDDEN PLANET.
Now that's what I call self control. I have six crates of DVDs in the basement, the local library doesn't want them so I'll have to find another worthy charity. I refuse to goto 4K for fear of another buying spree. I've kept my best fullscreen DVDs & many widescreen. The fullscreens have a resolution advantage over widescreen & the widescreens are good enough & not worthy of upgrade to Blu-ray. I'm running out space for Blu-rays. I don't like a home that looks like a Tower Records store!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks