What's new

What Forgotten Films do you want on Blu ray or 4K? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
As has been mentioned in various threads before, to the approaching doom of the archaic habit of collecting physical formats. There are still those of us that truly delight in having a disc in our hands, and being able to watch for ourselves and sharing them with those we love. Although many film titles are available on dvds or at least available in alturnate formats, there are still many films missing in the lineup of offerings.
Those MIA titles need to be recognised and perhaps even celebrated by those of us that would really want to see our long lost favorites spotlighted and honored. Granted, not all of these will be concidered Blockbusters, yet these films do hold a special place in our hearts. Some were released as either a dvd or in MOD format, and some not at all, still in any case, they truely need an HD or UHD facelift!!

Yeah Yeah, I can hear the retorts as I write this...but let's say "in a perfect world" What titles in your hitlist would YOU want to see with full restoration and disc release in any HD format?
For me my forst 2 would be:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_with_Green_Hair
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_1900

Last edited:

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
The Perils of Pauline with Pat Boone. It was a unique, strange comedy that was never released on VHS, DVD, or anything else.

Richard Williams animated short, A Christmas Carol. Considered to be the best of the cartoon versions. It's short, and it's a masterpiece. It's available on youtube, but I'd like a 4K version with extras.

--jthree

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I’ve never seen it, but I really need someone to release a blu of this incredibly crazy-looking oddity from 1982 starring Richard Chamberlain and John Houseman - Murder By Phone.

An Amazon search shows there was once a VHS release but no DVD or blu.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN---GOODBYE MR CHIPS[69]---PLAY IT AGAIN SAM----BREAKFAST ON PLUTO--THE BUTCHER BOY--CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD---SURVIVING PICASSO---ALICE DOSENT LIVE HERE ANYMORE ----STAR!---WHOS LIFE IS IT ANYWAY?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well to the public at large, nearly every film we talk about here is forgotten. Here's a couple of films that I don't think anyone else here will mention: the restoration comedy...Lock Up Your Daughters! (1969). Sony (Columbia), I remember enjoying it at the time, & I'd buy a Blu-ray (I'm not sure if it's ever had a home release), I haven't seen it for many decades.

Being a big James Coburn fan, I'd hoped for a release of, The Honkers (1972) MGM/Amazon.

A Hammer fifties war movie, The Steel Bayonet (1957), I think the last time I saw that one was on TV in the sixties. It was United Artists, so MGM (Amazon) now. I wonder if it'll ever surface?

...& the 1956 film of 1984 Sony (Columbia). I believe that the George Orwell estate stopped this from being seen for years, but the book is out of copyright now (the BFI have just released the 1953 BBC production). This film had two endings, one like the book & a more hopeful one (still tragic), I think the more hopeful ending was for the UK release, things were grim enough here in the fifties & we needed a bit of hope! Anyway, Sony could release this now if they wanted to.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I posted this one in the other thread- High Risk (James Brolin, Bruce Davison, Cleavon Little, Lindsay Wagner, Anthony Quinn, James Coburn, Ernest Borgnine).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Well to the public at large, nearly every film we talk about here is forgotten. Here's a couple of films that I don't think anyone else here will mention: the restoration comedy...Lock Up Your Daughters! (1969). Sony (Columbia), I remember enjoying it at the time, & I'd buy a Blu-ray (I'm not sure if it's ever had a home release), I haven't seen it for many decades.

Being a big James Coburn fan, I'd hoped for a release of, The Honkers (1972) MGM/Amazon.

A Hammer fifties war movie, The Steel Bayonet (1957), I think the last time I saw that one was on TV in the sixties. It was United Artists, so MGM (Amazon) now. I wonder if it'll ever surface?

...& the 1956 film of 1984 Sony (Columbia). I believe that the George Orwell estate stopped this from being seen for years, but the book is out of copyright now (the BFI have just released the 1953 BBC production). This film had two endings, one like the book & a more hopeful one (still tragic), I think the more hopeful ending was for the UK release, things were grim enough here in the fifties & we needed a bit of hope! Anyway, Sony could release this now if they wanted to.
if you're a James Coburn fan another title for me is Waterhole#9!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Attachments

• MV5BYTVjMDM2NGMtYjE0Ny00MTQ5LTg4MmUtNDU0ZGY3NGQ0OTA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BYTVjMDM2NGMtYjE0Ny00MTQ5LTg4MmUtNDU0ZGY3NGQ0OTA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • MV5BMTQzNjUwNzcwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzExOTgwMzE@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BMTQzNjUwNzcwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzExOTgwMzE@._V1_.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Another that comes to mind is the Disney tele-presentaion from 1962 with Guy Williams that also roled as thier Zorro as well. Aired as a three part special and then editied down from 3 50min episodes to a feature presentaion of 93min 27 seconds. dvds have been oop for decades. And the 1937 casting with Erroll Flynn is also shy of any BD or restoration hope...really WAC???

Attachments

• MV5BMTg3NDI4ODg3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjY4Njg3NjE@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BMTg3NDI4ODg3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjY4Njg3NjE@._V1_.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 518CyltiDGL.jpg
    518CyltiDGL.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 61

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Another Betty Hutton film that has slipped through the cracks is Dream Girl based on a hit Broadway play. It never got a home video release to my knowledge, but a dear friend in NYC many years ago knew how much I liked it and recorded it on VHS for me. I still have it with a few other homemade tapes of movies that didn't get commercial releases (Lady in the Dark) but which I recorded off various cable channels down through the years. Fortunately they still play just fine.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A lost pair of fun Romps from Burt Lancaster - The Crimson Pirate
and 1950 The Flame and the Arrow!!
in both films it featured him and his pal Nick Cravate-
They're not forgotten films!

A truly forgotten film that I've never seen is Jennifer from about 1953. I'll have to look it up. The only thing I know about it is that Matt Dennis wrote his marvellous song Angel Eyes for this film. The movie is forgotten but, thanks mainly to Frank Sinatra, the song is immortal.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I'm thinking of a forgotten film as; now obscure, not on DVD or Blu-ray or ever on TV, so forgotten (I don't know about the US, but in the UK we seem to have the same 400 films shown on TV over & over again). There are some tiny TV stations that show interesting & forgotten films. I must mention, Talking Pictures TV, a one man band (run by a man & his daughter). All SD & some very old transfers, but in the last couple of years I'm seeing films I thought I'd never see again.

...& well done Kino, they've been releasing quite a few forgotten films, like Bedtime Story (1964).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yup, I'm thinking of a forgotten film as; now obscure, not on DVD or Blu-ray or ever on TV, so forgotten (I don't know about the US, but in the UK we seem to have the same 400 films shown on TV over & over again). There are some tiny TV stations that show interesting & forgotten films. I must mention, Talking Pictures TV, a one man band (run by a man & his daughter). All SD & some very old transfers, but in the last couple of years I'm seeing films I thought I'd never see again.

...& well done Kino, they've been releasing quite a few forgotten films, like Bedtime Story (1964).
Agreed but, for me I'd rather have the control of seeing my favorite movies when I want, rather than via a station or app. I love to run comparision films like Bedtime Story and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to see the similarites and differences and end with a greater appreciation of both films!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
They're not forgotten films!

A truly forgotten film that I've never seen is Jennifer from about 1953. I'll have to look it up. The only thing I know about it is that Matt Dennis wrote his marvellous song Angel Eyes for this film. The movie is forgotten but, thanks mainly to Frank Sinatra, the song is immortal.
My context for the phrase "Forgotten" for this thread, are films that either got no release or a aging dvd release, some OOP, with no studio follow through to restore or upgrade to BD or 4K.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks