What's new

What films do you think are underrated? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What criteria are we using for considering a film underrated? That it didn't make enough money for a studio or that it is looked badly upon or is ignored by most people regardless of how much money it made? I use the second criteria.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My criteria for underrated films is a feature that I consider to be a good or better quality film that does not have widespread recognition amongst the general public.

Money doesn't really factor into the equation for me other than as a barometer of public attention. I would think that any film that makes a lot of money for the studio got attention from the public and consequently probably isn't underrated. Conversely films that underperform at the box office don't have large audiences and might be underrated.

Of course, home video and cable syndication have skewed this calculation somewhat. I wouldn't consider The Shawshank Redemption underrated (still #1 at the IMDB), but much of its audience discovered the film after it had played theatrically.

- Walter.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Robert Crawford said:
Looking back, I can agree with that opinion. Without question the most memorable film from that year.

Most memorable film of 1973? I beg to differ:

17965556415_4de305f7b1.jpg

I've seen this one more times than any other film from '73.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Vic Pardo said:
Most memorable film of 1973? I beg to differ:

17965556415_4de305f7b1.jpg

I've seen this one more times than any other film from '73.
There is always a silent minority. By the way, I watched that film during its theatrical run too.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
State of Grace

Carlito's Way

Little Murders

At Close Range

Ms. 45

The Incident

El Norte

Salvador

to name JUST a few

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Robert Crawford said:
There is always a silent minority. By the way, I watched that film during its theatrical run too.

That poster I scanned was a handout they distributed to everyone who came to the very first screening of it, which happened to be free. It was at the Loew's State in Times Square, March 20, 1973. It officially opened the next day.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Richard V said:
State of Grace

Carlito's Way

Little Murders

At Close Range

Ms. 45

The Incident

El Norte

Salvador

to name JUST a few

I think we should make a thread rule that if you're going to post a list of "underrated" movies, at least ONE of them has to have a Tomatometer score of under 50%.

Is that so hard to ask? :D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Naturally I put The Wind and The Lion at the top of my list of underrated films.....probably John Milius' best film with a great score by Jerry Goldsmith that was later recycled for the Star Trek film.

A great cast with Sean Connery, Candice Bergen, John Huston, and a performance of a lifetime by Brian Keith as Theodore Roosevelt.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I would have to say the stupids is a criminally overlooked film. Insanely clever and completely absurd screenplay. Every actor nails it, even Tom Arnold. I laugh everytime i watch it, i laugh every time i tell someone about it. Im laughing now just thinking about it. Its not out on blu, but it is available on dvd, unfortunately without the great original artwork, "Tom Arnold is stupid... Stanley Stupid." I met Mr. Landis once and when I mentioned my love for this movie he said it was hands down the funniest script he had ever read.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I also think W.D. Richters Late For Dinner is underrated. The setup is a great homage to old sci-fi. Then it segues into a beautiful, heartfelt love story. Truly moving. And the denoument with the home movies perfectly wrapped everything up. Great Characters and superb acting throughout. It didnt get a wide release and wasnt marketed well, probably because the studios were about to release the similarly themed, yet horrid, Forever Young, with Mel Gibson.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"Below," a 2002 World War II horror film directed by David Twohy. It was written by Lucas Sussman, Darren Aronofsky and David Twohy, and stars Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Matthew Davis, Holt McCallany, Scott Foley, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Flemyng and Dexter Fletcher. The film tells the story of a United States Navy submarine that experiences a series of supernatural events while on patrol in the Atlantic Ocean in 1943. (summary from Wikipedia)

"Below" was David Twohy's follow-up to the sleeper hit, "Pitch Black" (the first "Riddick" film with Vin Diesel), but despite many positive reviews, a great cast, good writing and directing, and a very creepy vibe, it was given only a very limited theatrical release before going straight to video.

This is a fave of mine since I first saw it. I remember looking forward to it, reading positive reviews, but then it never came to any theater near me. I wasn't able to see it until it was released on video, and I wasn't disappointed (other than the fact that the studio didn't give it a proper theatrical release).

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Below was a great, atmospheric thriller that used the confines of a submarine to great effect. First saw this on DVD and have been a fan since the initial viewing.

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"Below" sounds really interesting, and I've liked other Twohy movies - I'm adding this to my watch list, thanks guys!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Malcolm R said:
"Below," a 2002 World War II horror film directed by David Twohy. It was written by Lucas Sussman, Darren Aronofsky and David Twohy, and stars Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Matthew Davis, Holt McCallany, Scott Foley, Zach Galifianakis, Jason Flemyng and Dexter Fletcher. The film tells the story of a United States Navy submarine that experiences a series of supernatural events while on patrol in the Atlantic Ocean in 1943. (summary from Wikipedia)

"Below" was David Twohy's follow-up to the sleeper hit, "Pitch Black" (the first "Riddick" film with Vin Diesel), but despite many positive reviews, a great cast, good writing and directing, and a very creepy vibe, it was given only a very limited theatrical release before going straight to video.

This is a fave of mine since I first saw it. I remember looking forward to it, reading positive reviews, but then it never came to any theater near me. I wasn't able to see it until it was released on video, and I wasn't disappointed (other than the fact that the studio didn't give it a proper theatrical release).
A great choice. I love this film!

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
Dennis Nicholls said:
Naturally I put The Wind and The Lion at the top of my list of underrated films.....probably John Milius' best film with a great score by Jerry Goldsmith that was later recycled for the Star Trek film.

A great cast with Sean Connery, Candice Bergen, John Huston, and a performance of a lifetime by Brian Keith as Theodore Roosevelt.

I'm very glad I just ran across your post, before hitting the sack, here at 2:15 AM.

The Wind and The Lion has sat unopened, on the shelf, since the mailman delivered it last January or February.

Thank you, because with my wife not crazy about films of its genre, The Wind and The Lion should provide me a very good diversion, one evening, when my wife goes over to visit her sister.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
A few of the films that I find to be underrated or at least not well known even among film buffs are Nickelodeon (1976), The Legend of 1900 (1998) and Starstruck (1982). All were fine films directed by directors who have done other films that were much more highly regarded. Yet most people have not heard of these films much less actually seen them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Edwin-S said:
What criteria are we using for considering a film underrated? That it didn't make enough money for a studio or that it is looked badly upon or is ignored by most people regardless of how much money it made? I use the second criteria.
One more thing, some films were underrated during their initial theatrical runs. In short, the critics and general public rejected such films when they first were released to movie theaters. However, over a period of time these films have grown in stature with both, critics and the general public. Two such films listed below are now considered among the best films ever made. I was surprised about "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" as I did see this film in 1962, as a kid and I always thought it was well received, but according to some bonus material on the 2009 DVD release it wasn't a box office hit and that critics weren't kind to that film in 1962. It wasn't until the 1970's and 1980's that it was properly recognized as a great Western. A similar thing happened to "The Night of the Hunter".

The Night of the Hunter

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Suzanne.S said:
A few of the films that I find to be underrated or at least not well known even among film buffs are. . .The Legend of 1900 (1998). All were fine films directed by directors who have done other films that were much more highly regarded. Yet most people have not heard of these films much less actually seen them.

I saw an early preview of that one, at the time entitled The Legend of the Pianist on the Ocean. I remember filling out my comment sheet and writing "Please don't change that awesome title!" Oh well. IIRC, the 40-minute-longer early cut was a better film, too.

And speaking of the underrated absurd, I will add the Bright and Shiny Bubble Boy, to this day Jake Gyllenhaal's finest performance. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks