What's new

What do you think of this setup? (1 Viewer)

DavidJW

Agent
A friend at work recently asked me to help pick out a home theater system for him for less than $1500. He wanted 5.1 speakers with front towers, a receiver, a multiregion dvd player, and a quality dedicated CD player. He likes to listen to hair metal like Judas Priest, Dokken, Triumph, etc.

I thought that Klipsch would be a good match for him. I did some research and found that BIC makes some Acoustech speakers that compare favorably with Klipsch. My backup plan would have been a JBL E series setup.

I now researched receivers and was deciding between the Panasonic XR55 and the Harman Kardon AVR-240. I dismissed the Panasonic after I found some reviews that it was too bright with Klipsch speakers and had a lack of bass. I then convinced him that I could get a refurished HK AVR-335 from Harmon Audio on ebay for roughly the same price? He agreed.

I think that these will compliment each other very well?

I still have to choose the DVD and CD player, but I am leaning toward the Philips DVD player from Target. It does PAL-NTSC and is multiregion hackable. I was thinking about getting a Maranatz CD player with the leftover money.

Any comments?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I would be careful with the Acoustech. There is one review out there -- which it sounds as though you've read -- that compares the Acoustech favorably against not only the Synergy series, but also against the Reference series. I'm quite skeptical of that particular review.

That being said, they may be very good speakers, but I wouldn't expect it to match the Klipsch Reference series. The subwoofer in that line, however, is the H-100 which was -- apparently -- designed by Dr. Hsu and is supposed to be a VERY solid sub for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks