What's new
World Wide Stereo

what do I fill my speaker stands with? (1 Viewer)

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys..I was told lead shot is the way to go, but I have a kid running around and a dog also, so i don't want lead all over the place..sand would seap out of the bottom of my stands if it's too fine..what is non toxic, coarse and heavy enough to add weight to my stands? thanks for the help..

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Fill 'Ziploc' or other strong plastic bags with sand and/or lead shot and see if you can jamb them into your stands, or feed plastic bags into the stands and fill them after they are in there. Condoms filled with lead shot is another idea.

Gravel for fish tanks...?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I am not a lead expert but I thought direct exposure or digesting it as in fumes was the only problem. If your putting lead into a sealed place it should not cause any concern for alarm for you or your kids.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sand is your best bet, very good vibration damping and is also the least expensive. As noted, use bags, or find a way to seal the bottom of the stand.

Kitty litter, fishtank gravel and BBs will also work.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys..I am using the sst-2234 stands and the fill area is very small and narrow..I was thinking about using sand but the bottom part that connects to the base is not toally sealed..I was thinking on using silicone to seal it up then put some sand in there..the bb's is another great idea..they aren't lead right? thanks

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
considering how many people i have seen be hit by BBs i really doubt that they are lead.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
BB's are brass but the problem you will have is major rattle if you cant pack them in super tight. And from the sounds of it he can't pack them tight. I would be very leary of using BB's just do to that fact. You will be suprised how much a small rattle here and there can screw up a quiet sceen in a movie...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks