What's new

What are your top 5 favorite miniseries of all time? (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
What a great form this is, and so unique to television. So many novels and stories can't be told in a 2, 3, or even 4-hour movie. And unlike a regular series, where things sometimes reset to the status quo each episode, miniseries can often better deal with how characters and situations change over time. Also, as limited series, often the production values can be higher than for regular TV. But the biggest appeal for me of a good miniseries is the writing, and many writers have brought some of their best work to the form. Some of these miniseries have been meaningful to me over many years now, even if I haven't seen them for a long time. I'm intending especially to include British productions here, since they are actually often my favorites....In fact, I'll probably only list those, and make a second list at some point of my favorite American miniseries.

Here's my list, subject to change.

1. I, Claudius, BBC, 1976
Low production values, and shot on videotape (darn), but what an amazing cast, screenplay, and story. Moving, horrifying, and powerful—and much of it based on the outlines of things that really happened. Saw this when I was about 12, back in c. 1977, and found it stunning at times. I've been looking out for actors I saw in first in Claudius ever since, like Derek Jacobi and John Hurt. They have never let me down that I recall. The wonderful novels by Robert Graves are brilliantly adapted by Jack Pullman, who sadly died only a few years later.

2. Pride and Prejudice, BBC, 1995
What a cast. Jennifer Ehle projects such personality and spark into this role, and is also, of course, stunning. As is Colin Firth, who for a time was so identified with this role that he once said that if he became an astronaut and landed on Mars, the headline would probably read: "Darcy Goes to Mars." This has near-movie level production values. Each episode wonderfully balanced between drama, comedy, and human insight. The screenplay, by the King of the BBC miniseries, Andrew Davies, is a marvel. In my opinion, it's the perfect adaptation of a Jane Austen's wonderful novel to the (small) screen. Even though I'm listing it second, this is the miniseries I've watched by far the most in my life, having watched and owned it over almost twenty years on VHS, DVD, and finally on the terrific blu-ray release that went back to the original 16mm elements and reframed it for widescreen. Normally I don't like messing at all with the OAR, but in this case, imho, it really works.

3. To Serve Them All My Days, BBC, 1980
Production values are modest, and unfortunately this was shot on videotape, but this was one of the very first miniseries by Andrew Davies, adapting and improving on the good but not (imho) brilliant novel by R.F. Delderfield. The novel is solid, don't get me wrong, but don't looking for all of the crackling, witty, and insightful dialogue found in the miniseries in the novel, because most of it was created by Davies and simply isn't in the book. Watched this when it came out, and it, along with many other things, influenced me to become a teacher. Wonderful performances by the whole cast, with special tips of the hat to John Duttine as David Powlett-Jones and Alan MacNaughton as the cynical and slowly dying Howarth.

4. Daniel Deronda, BBC, 2002
Yet another adaptation by Andrew Davies that I think really improves on the original novel, in this case by George Eliot (Mary Evans). Another wonderful cast, including Hugh Dancy, Jodhi May, Romola Garai, and the squirm-worthy Hugh Bonneville. This was directed by Tom Hooper, who went on to direct two other good miniseries—Elizabeth, and then John Adams. After that, of course, he graduated to movies and did The King's Speech and Les Misérables.

5. Bleak House, BBC, 2005
Andrew Davies again, here improving on the somewhat wordy Dickens novel. Another great cast.....

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Okay, I'm calling on my good friend Jeff Willis to come in and give his five. I'm not as good with mini-series (seemed to miss the vast majority of the classic ones when they aired), but I know that Jeff likes them so I think he can give some good comments on this topic.

The only one I can list that I watched when it aired was "V".

Gary "Ben, you need to do a Top 5 Favorite 80's shows one too" O.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I have not seen that many..
I would say:

-Jesus of Nazareth
-The Thornbirds
-I'll take Manhattan
-North and South (although can't remember anything)

Can't find another one..

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Gary OS: May I ask you to host a thread on shows of the 1980s? I'm sure you'd be great at it. And I worry that I've started so many threads that the moderators are going to get after me soon to stop....

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
benbess said:
Gary OS: May I ask you to host a thread on shows of the 1980s? I'm sure you'd be great at it. And I worry that I've started so many threads that the moderators are going to get after me soon to stop....
I don't see any problem with you starting multiple threads. All the ones you've done have been great, so I'd rather you start it.

Gary "I'd rather reply than start that one" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
I don't see any problem with you starting multiple threads. All the ones you've done have been great, so I'd rather you start it.

Gary "I'd rather reply than start that one" O.
w7273l.jpg

Keep authoring threads, Ben
24ew5g8.jpg

After looking at my TV/DVD excel file, I have 19 miniseries.

Ranking in order is too hard but here's my 5:

HOW THE WEST WAS WON

RICH MAN POOR MAN BOOK Book 1 was my favorite of the 2 books

SHOGUN

HOLOCAUST includes Fritz Weaver, one of my favorite TV actors

WINDS OF WAR and WAR AND REMEMBERANCE

NORTH AND SOUTH didn't makes a 5-choice cut but by a micron.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Band of Brothers
The Stand
John Adams
Battlestar Galactica (2004)
It
*corrected the date for Battlestar Galactica

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Roots
Rich Man, Poor Man Book 1
Jesus of Nazareth
Holocaust
Winds of War/War and Remembrance
Once an Eagle
It

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Lots of ones I've enjoyed, but only 2 real favorites that I revisit from time to time:

Backstairs at the White House
Elizabeth R

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
If hope some of you will consider going beyond just giving a list, and saying something about why these particular miniseries are favorites for you. What about the story, the performances, the screenplay, the production design, etc., especially impressed you?

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
There's one that I'm nuts about and that one is David Wicke's "Jack The Ripper" from 1988 on CBS. Probably my favorite Michael Caine vehicle. Great two parter...great production.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
"Lonesome Dove"
"Roots: The Next Generation"
"V"

I'd put "Shogun" down but I never saw the whole thing when it was originally on. I did see the two-hour compilation that came out on VHS years later and recently purchased the entire miniseries on DVD but have yet to sit and watch it.

That's all I can think of.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(I don't know if this would be considered a "miniseries").

- The original version of "The Bourne Identity" from the late 1980's.

IIRC, it had Richard Chamberlain as "Jason Bourne" and Jaclyn Smith as "Marie".

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I would count the Chamberlain series a mini-series personally, technically it can be regarded so or that of a two-part TV movie same as say Salem's Lot. Think in the UK I Claudius is seen more as a TV series rather than strictly a mini-series, by US standards it probably applies by sheer number of episodes.
Jesus of Nazareth
Salem's Lot
Roots
Centennial
Holocaust

Runners-up: Rich Man Poor Man, Once An Eagle, Bourne Identity, Harry's Game, Nutcracker; Money Madness And Murder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks