What's new

What are your thoughts on the M&K 750 THX system? (1 Viewer)

jason celaya

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking of going to this from a polk 7500 w/psw650. Do you think it would be a good upgrade? I'll be running it in a 12x14 room w/ a denon 3802 & denon poa 5200 (2ch-for fronts). Let me know your opinions.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I have that setup, almost.
Check my website for more info, but I have the
Denon 3801
M&K LCR750THX L, R & C
M&K MX125 Sub and
some Boston Surrounds. Next step for me is the Surround 550's.
They sound great. Probably a bit better for movies than music, but still quite good. The "S" series M&K's (the S125's) sounded smoother to me - better for vocals and acoustic, but less 'punch' for HT. I upgraded to the two-12" MX125 from the normal one driver MX1250THX. The 1250thx just seemed to be easy to overdrive.
Arrange a demo at your dealer. Use only one receiver (Denon, preferably), then switch between the different M&K setups along with other brands. See which one jumps out at you.
Jared

bryan_chow

Agent
I have a similar setup.

Onkyo TX-DS898 receiver

M&K 750 THX for front, center and surrounds

A pair of old JBLs for the rear surrounds (7.1) - temporary hopefully

M&K V75 subwoofer

The speakers are great. I should have gotten a better sub - the V75 was great in my old small apartment but at my new place it sounds boomy (hardwood floor and no good place for placement). I used the front L/R for rears (now side surrounds) because I wanted 5.1 to be 5 identical speakers.

I also agree the speakers are better for movies than music, but still I'm very happy with them.

Bryan

MichaelG

Second Unit
Another similar setup

Denon AVR3300

M&K 750 L/C/R

M&K 550 Surround L/R

M&K MX125 MarkII Sub

Again, I have heard better musical speakers, but music is still very good. I bought them for Home Theater and I think that they are excellent for that. See if you can find a local dealer that can hook them up to a Denon and listen. I am still very happy with this system and I got them rigght after they came out a few years ago.

I have the L/C/R of the 750 system. I love their sound. I pretty much agree with what the others have stated. However, I don't feel the lack at all in music. Again this is my opinion.

Earl J

Stunt Coordinator
I have exactly the same setup:

M&K 750 L/C/R

M&K 550 Surrounds

Denon 3802

20-39CS sub/Samson Amp Combo

I think that this is a very good combo. Like the others have stated, they are great for home theater. In my opinion they are very good for music as well, relative to others that are similarly priced. I've heard that they are even better coupled with an amp that can support its 4 ohm's of impedance, but the Denon will handle them just fine.

Just my .02

Bob Lee

Agent
I have a very similar setup:

M&K 750 L/C/R

M&K Surround 55's tripoles

M&K LCR-55's for rear surround

Denon 3802

M&K MX-105 sub

I love this setup, and going from 5.1 to 7.1 make a significant difference. Prior to going 7.1 I used the LCR-55's as my surrounds.

I also gave some serious thought to upgrading my sub to an MX-350, but instead I've decided to purchase an SVS CS-Ultra. Should have it installed by this time next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks